Flaps-Gear warning sounds

beroun

Hi,

got few aircraft with nonrealistic warning sound when flaps are extended. I say nonrealistic because the speed is definitely low enough to enable the safe flap extensions, yet the sound is there? The gear extension usually silences it. But it is also not realistic because it is usually too early to extend the gear. Note that I tried to reduce the flaps damaging speed and blow-out speed figures in aircraft.cfg but it did not seem to help.

Any advise on how to adjust these warning sounds to realistic levels (probably in aircraft.cfg or air file) would be much appreciated.

MANY thanks for any advise.

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Peter,

The warning you're hearing is the gear extension warning, which happens when the flaps are extended beyond a certain angle while the gear is still up, regardless of speed.

If you've reduced the flap damage and blow-out speeds you've made it worse - you need to increase them. Here's the relevant section from a Saab 340:

damaging-speed=175.0

blowout-speed=185.0

flaps-position.0=0.00

flaps-position.1=7.00, 175.0

flaps-position.2=15.00, 175.0

flaps-position.3=20.00, 165.0

flaps-position.4=35.00, 140.0

The damage speed reduces for each increase in flap angle, but you can raise or lower these limits as required.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi,

The gear extension warning system (which is what you are talking about, they do not care about speeds) is this section in the plane's aircraft.cfg file:

[gear_warning_system]

gear_warning_available = 1

pct_throttle_limit = 0.15

flap_limit_power = 31.647890

flap_limit_idle = 0.0

pct_throttle_limit means that if the plane is in the air and the flaps are at or above the flap_limit_idle value (flaps can be up in this case) and you reduce the throttle below 15% (in this case), the gear warning will sound.

flap_limit_power means that if the gear is up and the flaps are greater than this value (30 deg. in this case), then the gear warning will sound (no matter the throttle position).

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Thanks Tom,

have experimented a lot but never really fine tuned it. Is there any setting, which would trigger the gear warning ONLY when the flaps are fully extended? Regardless of speed or anything else.

Please le me know.

Many thanks

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Try this:

damaging-speed=175.0

blowout-speed=185.0

flaps-position.0= 0.000, 0.000

flaps-position.1= 7.000, 0.000

flaps-position.2=15.000, 0.000

flaps-position.3=20.000, 0.000

flaps-position.4=35.000, 0.000

[gear_warning_system]

pct_throttle_limit = 0.10 //throttle above idle

flap_limit_power = 34.000 //full flaps at any power

flap_limit_idle = 34.000 //full flaps at idle

Substitute your paticular airplane flaps values. Let us know if this worked for you.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

MANY Thanks Chuck,

works perfect. I just did one (common sense) adjustment. The aircraft I needed this on (L1011) has the max flap extension 30, so have changed your 34 to 29:

[gear_warning_system]

pct_throttle_limit = 0.10 //throttle above idle

flap_limit_power = 29.000 //full flaps at any power

flap_limit_idle = 29.000 //full flaps at idle

Great Help. Again, Many Thanks

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Glad it worked for you. Takes a little 'fiddling' sometimes. Hate to admit how many times I landed (when I first got started simming 15 years ago) with the gear up. Haha. Did not get back as yesterday was my BirthDay and I took the 'day off' (from simming anyway). Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived