Service Packs ? ? ?

GBJim

Newbie here again. :rolleyes: About a year ago I installed a boxed FSX Standard edition, and with your help here in this forum, I have tuned it to perfection. With it I have downloaded a couple of dozen of my favorite aircraft, and the system just chugs along at 25 fps, completely trouble free, has never crashed, and provides me with a ton of pleasure. Now I am hearing about upgrades such as SP-1, SP-2, and Acceleration. Specifically ........ What will each of these "Upgrades" do for me ? I have no desire to be a Multiplayer, and I don't need any additional aircraft, or Missions. I am completely satisfied with what I am using now, but can be tempted to install these upgrades if someone here can convince me that I need them. How will they improve the perfect system that I am using now ? I don't have any issues now, and I don't need any that these packs my cause.

Thank you for replies, and for being patient with me.

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Jim,

SP1 and SP2 are free, downloadable service packs, which you should get and install for the bug fixes and improvements they contain.

Acceleration, however, is not free, and I doubt you can get that on its own, if you ever could, as it was sold with FSX as FSX Gold. It also contains fixes and improvements, plus several new aircraft.

Hope this helps -

Jorgen

Jim,

SP1 and SP2 are free, downloadable service packs, which you should get and install for the bug fixes and improvements they contain.

Hope this helps -

Jorgen

Jorgen, thank you very much for your input, but what are these "Bugs" that I am supposed to be having, and what are the improvements that I can expect to see ?

Jim

Jorgen, thank you very much for your input, but what are these "Bugs" that I am supposed to be having, and the improvements that I can expect to see ?

Jim

Wikipedia has quick summary of the patches. SP1 adds limited multi-core support, along with other fixes, and SP2 further enhances the multi-core support and fixes bugs as well as adding the DX10 preview option. Acceleration includes both patches as well as adding new aircraft and some associated functionality. Not everyone will have problems with all of the bugs, though just about everyone does benefit somewhat from the multi-core support, as limited as it is. Some add-ons may also require the service packs, or Acceleration to run as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X#Patches_and_expansions

" Not everyone will have problems with all of the bugs, though just about everyone does benefit somewhat from the multi-core support, as limited as it is. " - Loki

OK Loki, this is good stuff. From as far as I can see, I have not had any trouble with Bugs. So now I need to learn how this multi-core support might benefit me by installing SP-1 ? ? ? Once again, I am using the boxed Standard edition of FSX, on Windows 7 .

Jim

I poked around looking at my computers capability today, and found this statement. > " Windows 7 Home Premium, Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation, Service Pack 1. "

Does this mean that I already have Service Pack 1 installed, and that it could account for my systems good behavior ? ? ?

Jim

I poked around looking at my computers capability today, and found this statement. > " Windows 7 Home Premium, Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation, Service Pack 1. "

Does this mean that I already have Service Pack 1 installed, and that it could account for my systems good behavior ? ? ?

Jim

That is saying you have service pack 1 for Windows 7, not the sim.

" Not everyone will have problems with all of the bugs, though just about everyone does benefit somewhat from the multi-core support, as limited as it is. " - Loki

OK Loki, this is good stuff. From as far as I can see, I have not had any trouble with Bugs. So now I need to learn how this multi-core support might benefit me by installing SP-1 ? ? ? Once again, I am using the boxed Standard edition of FSX, on Windows 7 .

Jim

The original version of the sim could only use one core of a mutli-core processor for everything the sim had to process. SP1 added the ability to off load texture and scenery loading to the other cores. This lightens the load on the core running the sim and helps reduce loading times.

Jim

That is a "Windows" Service Pack. I also have the boxed version of FSX Standard and SP1 and SP2 installed. There are many freeware aircraft downloads out there that will require the the service packs be installed before they will work. I'm sure there isn't a few that you will eventually want to have or, at least try out. Many of Milton Shupe's, Manfred Jahn's, and Rob Richardson's aircraft will need the service packs. Rob Richardson's supposedly need Acceleration, but they are fine on my system.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

" There are many freeware aircraft downloads out there that will require the service packs be installed before they will work. I'm sure there isn't a few that you will eventually want to have or, at least try out. "

Thanks Mr. Zippy. Is being able to download more aircraft my only reason for wanting to install SP-1, or can I expect some kind of performance increase ? My main concern is, screwing up an already good running Sim with new issues. And if I were to install SP-1, would it be to my advantage to install SP-2 also ?

Jim

" There are many freeware aircraft downloads out there that will require the service packs be installed before they will work. I'm sure there isn't a few that you will eventually want to have or, at least try out. "

Thanks Mr. Zippy. Is being able to download more aircraft my only reason for wanting to install SP-1, or can I expect some kind of performance increase ? My main concern is, screwing up an already good running Sim with new issues. And if I were to install SP-1, would it be to my advantage to install SP-2 also ?

Jim

I'll say it like this....If you are truly happy with what you have now, I would only consider updating if, and only if, it's needed for something new you want to try. Most README files of a download will state the need of the SPs.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I'll say it like this....If you are truly happy with what you have now, I would only consider updating if, and only if, it's needed for something new you want to try. Most README files of a download will state the need of the SPs.
+1

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jim

Buy FSX:Steam on Sale. Install it separately. See what all the fuss is about. FSX: Steam IS FSX + Service Packs + Acceleration.

You should not install only one Service Pack. It's both, or none at all.

All service and advice in these forums is based on AT LEAST SP1 and SP2 being installed, so the ability for support in these forums is going to be substantially diminished.

This, for example, will be my last response to you until you have at least the those service packs on board, because I cannot remember what was different about basic FSX as no-one here has had it installed for at least ten years... not even `tries hard, sometimes gets it right` Mr Zippy.

Really, you should be installing Steam.

Good luck

" I'll say it like this....If you are truly happy with what you have now, I would only consider updating if, and only if, it's needed for something new you want to try. Most README files of a download will state the need of the SPs. - Mr. Zippy "

Mr. Zippy, your answer is exactly the kind of answer that I was hoping for. I have many dozens of beautiful Ad-on planes, in a perfect running simulator. I have decided to leave well enough alone.

Thank you my friend. - Jim

Wallpaper 3.jpg

Archived