Logbook Date Format m/d/yyyy vs dd/mm/yyyy

elmerfudd

Once upon a time, I had FS2002 installed in an old Dell machine, and FS2004 in a less old Dell, both with Windows XP. Some years later I bought a new computer with Windows 7, and installed the sims on it. I was surprised to discover that the date format in the logbook was in the Canadian dd/mm/yyyy format instead of the previous m/d/yyyy format. Both of the old Dells had the regional settings set to the Canadian dd/mm/yyyy format, as did the new computer.

This reversal really messes up the logbook, as the entries are now out of order. To solve this problem, I just continued to use the old Dell machines to run my sims, while using the new one to surf the Internet.

Recently, I installed both FS2002 and FS2004 in another old machine, an IBM that was built around the same time as the old Dells. The IBM has the same processor and GPU (the basic Intel onboard) installed, with the same operating system. The only thing different is the motherboard.

Imagine my surprise when the logbook date format came up with the Canadian version, rather than the American format that the Dells used.

I changed my regional settings to United States, and made sure that the date format was m/d/yyyy. I uninstalled and reinstalled the sims, but they are still in the Canadian format, making a hash of my logs. I have been unable to discover how the flight sims decide which format to use.

Does anyone else have this problem, and/or know of a solution?

Tom,

I didn't know there was a Canadian version of FS9. The actual version that I have was sent to my by Microsoft, in consequence of a problem I had with a previous version of FS, either FS for Windows 95 or FS98, I'm not sure which anymore. It's been quite awhile, and I think this was done as a customer relations gesture.

At any rate, I believe you may have misread my O/P. I did not have this problem with my Dells, only with my new Gateway/Win 7, and an old IBM/XP.

What has occurred to me, since my original post is the following, which may or may not be an isssue:

My older Dell was shipped from Canada, shows the U.S. date format of m/d/yyyy.

My newer Dell was shipped from the U.S., shows the U.S. date format of m/d/yyyy.

The IBM probably originated from Canada, and shows the Canadian date format of dd/mm/yyyy.

The newer Dell and IBM were manufactured in the same year, and both use the same Pentium 4 processor and onboard Intel graphics. Both use the same version of Windows XP, although the Dell uses the OEM version, and I don't know which is is the IBM, but both are XP Home.

Crazy problem.

Regards,

Elmerfudd

Try the steps in this guide, you may have missed a step when changing your settings:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149362-region-language-change.html

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

D/m/y is pretty standard around the world. So not a ‘Canadian version’. A modern correct version.

M/d/y is usually just found in old fashioned USA along with Fahrenheit and imperial systems along with many business pes like dmv where you have to send in a letter to pay for registration rather then pay online like everywhere else.

They’ve moved on from horse and carriage which is one thing. Lol.

It appears that countries that use m/d/y are in a minority (United States, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands-approx 325 million), whereas countries that use d/m/y have a total population of approx 3565 million & countries that use y/m/d have a total population of approx 1745 million.

Try the steps in this guide, you may have missed a step when changing your settings:

Tim, thanks for the tip. I'll have another look at the Win 7 regional settings.

My most recent issue, though, is with two seemingly identical Win XP machines. I'll have to have another very careful look at the settings there.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Much of the above does little to answer the original question.

I know there is a solution out there because I had the same problem (but the other way round, I needed UK format) as witnessed by an unsolved thread I started many years ago. I did eventually solve it but it is so long back I can't remeber how. A shame I didn't update the thread but it was already old by then.

My recollection was that there are two areas in the Windows Control Panel where you need to set things up correctly - possibly "Country" and "Time Format". It is certainly worth looking deeper there, although it is so long ago I can't say with 100% certainty that is the answer.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Tim,

Just a side note: your tip applies to Windows 7, which I don't really use for the sim anymore. When I bought my Gateway i5-2320, I optioned a dedicated video card, in the hopes that it would run FSX. I was to discover that it would not even run FS9 satisfactorily.

In addition to the mm/dd/yyy, when I tried to access the kneeboard in full screen mode, the kneeboard came up behind the main window rather than on top of it, so I could not see it. The GPS flickered as well. I ended up using the Gateway to surf the net, and my old Dells for my FS8 and FS9.

Lately, I discovered (when using the Gateway for testing or to demonstrate something to someone) I've noticed that when droning along with the AP set to altitude hold, the A/C will suddenly pitch up or down by more than twenty degrees. Oh joy!

The Gateway has been a dead loss, as far as simming is concerned. (Seems to be getting very slow while surfing, of late, too.)

Elmer J. Fudd

Sorry but it's difficult to work out from this which PC and which OS you're using FS9 on.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Sorry but it's difficult to work out from this which PC and which OS you're using FS9 on.

'Tis OK. I elaborated in a subsequent post on the first page, but you may have missed it, so here goes:

My older Dell was shipped from Canada, shows the U.S. date format of m/d/yyyy. It runs XP home, and I use it for FS8.

My newer Dell was shipped from the U.S., shows the U.S. date format of m/d/yyyy. It runs XP home, and I use it for FS9.

The IBM probably originated from Canada, and shows the Canadian date format of dd/mm/yyyy. It runs XP home, and I tried to use it for FS9 and FS8, until I realized that my logbook was all messed up. Both the newer Dell and IBM have identical processors and onboard graphics.

The Gateway is an i5-2320 running Win7, and it also messes up the logbook, as well as the other issues mentioned above. I use it only for testing purposes.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Thanks, here's the Windows XP guide to changing regional settings:

http://qwertytutorials.com/software_tutorials/windows_xp/change_regional_xp.php

Know all men by these presents that: the problem is solved. I compared the settings in the two Windows XP machines, and found one discrepancy:

In Windows XP, the offending culprit was found under the Regional and Language Options/Advanced/Language for non-Unicode programs. In the IBM, (which had the problem) the setting had been set to English (Canada), whereas in the Dell, (which did not have the problem), it was set to English (United States). Resetting the IBM solved the problem.

In Windows 7, the setting in question is under the Administrative tab/Language for non-Unicode programs/Change system locale... (I have not changed this setting yet, as it will require a Windows restart, but I'm confident that it's the right one.)

Hope this helps anyone else caught in this situation.

Elmer J. Fudd

You're welcome. Dunno why I didn't think to take that tack before.

Now, if only I could figure out why the A/C suddenly pitches up or down twenty-two degrees on my Win 7 machine (it just started doing that recently, I've got about 143 hours on this box), I'd actually be able to use it on this box.

Thanks Tom. That's a good a wild guess as any. (BTW: I was playing with it yesterday, with no problem).

I've reset the the settings on my Gateway, and reversed the format in the logbooks there. (It took about an hour.)

At least, my sims are all on the same page.

Archived