Change airplane name in FSX:SE

kaashaas

Where are you looking for this name change? Are you thinking about the Aircraft Selection page? If so, then try changing the aircraft folder name and then make sure there isn't another similar folder name. Don't know how it would handle 2 folders called 747-400.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me out. Is there a way to change an aircraft configuration file so FSX will recognize a 737-800 as a 747-400 for example? Which variable determines how a plane is recognized?

Grtz., Hans

You'll need to change atc_model=B738 to atc_model=B744. There's a full list of model codes here which work in FSX and FS2004: http://woodair.net/Flight_Sim/data/FS_Aircraft_Codes.htm

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

If you are talking about the menu selection, I use these four entries in each [FLTSIM.XX]

section for my own consistency; any of these lines can be edited as you desire

ui_manufacturer=Boeing (CS)

ui_type=B707-300B ADV

ui_variation=Braniff 2-tone

ui_typerole="Airliner-Jet (4)"

ui_createdby=Captain Sim

They can be in any order - I like to group them for my own consistency. Note that the manufacturer, creator and type role control the three scroll down query boxes when you open the select aircraft menu. these lines control what shows up in them.

be careful about folder names in FSX, because often texture and other folders reference a base folder for several schemes and changing folder names will screw things up.

Look at a payware (and many freeware) planes, each texture file will have a texture.cfg file within it referencing a base file that has common items to be shared. If an airplane folder outside the main airplane folder is not referenced, then the folder could be renamed.

Hi guys, thnx for your support! I'm asking this because I'm making flights for a va every once in a while. I want the Acars program to recognize my aircraft as a 747 instead of the 737. I don't want to try and tamper with folder structures too much.

I understand that all I need to do to make this happen is to change the ATC-model entry? Or is it more complex than that?

Grtz., Hans

The easiest way is to decipher one of your previous PIREPs.

An example from my VA, it's a flight meant to be flown with a B732, I flew it with an A320 in stead:

http://i.imgur.com/6bewt1F.png

In the first two lines of the additional log info you can see what aircraft I actually used.

1st is the TITLE from the [fltsim] section.

2nd is the ATC_MODEL from the [general] section.

Check one of your past PIREPs, compare with aircraft.cfg entries and you'll see what you need to change to fool your VA.

OTOH a smart admin (which also has lots of time) will see you haven't flown a 747, for example by checking fuel usage.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

If he changes from 737 to a 747 he will be flying a 747 with 2 engines, so his fuel will be very different indeed. Mute point in that he probably won't even be able to take off. Unless he also changes the air file (ie: 'sim=xxxx'). And because of the differences between the 2 it would be very wise to use the 747 air file and not the 737 air file so he can fly it (period). You are delving into dangerous territory when you change things 'a little' (it's like the 'a little knowledge' saying).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi guys, thnx for your support! I'm asking this because I'm making flights for a va every once in a while. I want the Acars program to recognize my aircraft as a 747 instead of the 737. I don't want to try and tamper with folder structures too much.

I understand that all I need to do to make this happen is to change the ATC-model entry? Or is it more complex than that?

Grtz., Hans

Have to ask: Why? You will be assigned routes ONLY flyable by a real 747 and when you try to fly them in your mock-747/737 you will not receive any credits when you crash fuel-expired a 1,000 miles short of your destination, arrive half an hour late and delivering one third as many passengers. Because the VA will expect a 747 range, speed and pax capacity.

Perhaps if you explain this bizarre request we might be able to offer alternatives, as changing a 737 into 747 is not possible from a VA point of view unless you also change the aircraft range, fuel burn and pax capacity to match those expected of the 747.

Why not just use a 747?

Because there's not any 747 to my liking except expensive payware ones. There's one, but it's a 748 instead of a 744, but the same theory would apply.

Thnx for sharing your VA-morals, but that's another topic thnx.

Wim, nice strategy. I'll let you know if that worked! Chuck, thnx for the input. I'll keep you guys posted!

Grtz., Hans

• 1 month later...

In the end, it was easy to check which data the Acars software used and thus simply changing that in the config would fool the system.

Conclusion: flying a 738 like it’s a 744 is not perfect. You need to refuel enroute, less points are awarded due to the missing engines and the spark of enthusiasm when flying as real as it gets isn’t there.

I abandanod the project and stick to my simpall: the 738 NGX.

Grtz., Hans

Archived