At my wills end for the website...but....

darrenvox

I would suggest that the problem must lie somewhere on the ISP network, possible a DNS server that both ISPs route through and that has not updated and is causing a block of some sort.

As I live in the UK I have never heard of the two ISP in question so googled them. Reading the respective current outages pages at CanadianOutages.com (Rodgers http://canadianoutages.com/status/rogers and Shaw HERE) it does seem that both ISP are having major issues - one Rogers user (using the user ID P and located in Brampton Ontarioi) even states that he/she has had issues over the last 4 months following network upgrades - related to your issue - who knows.

Regards

Brian

Guess it's just me...

Due respect, if it was a website issue there would be a lot of people here complaining about it.

One question, are you using old bookmarks, with the http:/... address?

If so, try editing your bookmarks to https:/ and test.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

If a site loads but appears "jumbled" it is often a scripting issue. Farcebook loads all jumbled in Firefox for me, with items overlapping each other and that idiotic "old browser" notice covering a fourth of the page; yet Farcebook displays fine in the K-meleon browser (which is a stripped down Firefox).

But Flightsim works fine here; occasionally it stalls when "waiting for flightsim.com" - wait, wait, wait, then close the tab, try again, and all is well.

I have problems with loading Flightsim for some time now. Some days it loads immediatly, other days it will not load. I get the following message: Browser OK, Toronto Gateway OK, Flightsim Host Error. Has something changed at Flightsim in the past month?

I would suggest that the problem must lie somewhere on the ISP network, possible a DNS server that both ISPs route through and that has not updated and is causing a block of some sort.

As I live in the UK I have never heard of the two ISP in question so googled them. Reading the respective current outages pages at CanadianOutages.com (Rodgers http://canadianoutages.com/status/rogers and Shaw HERE) it does seem that both ISP are having major issues - one Rogers user (using the user ID P and located in Brampton Ontarioi) even states that he/she has had issues over the last 4 months following network upgrades - related to your issue - who knows.

Does look like it could be an ISP issue. Perhaps those having trouble could provide their ISP? Telus (DSL) and Bell (mobile) have been working fine for me, although mobile is noticeably slower.

But Flightsim works fine here; occasionally it stalls when "waiting for flightsim.com" - wait, wait, wait, then close the tab, try again, and all is well.

That's exactly what I get and I will usually hit the "back" button and retry where I want to go. Some days it's fast other days it's like watching grass grow! Using Firefox on Comcast Cable.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

This is the first time in ages I've been able to read a thread and then post to it. I'm in Canada as well, but don't use Rogers or Shaw. Usually if I use the Flightsim skin, I can read threads, but I can't reply to anything. If I want to post, I change to the white skin. It makes everything look like a browser from 1994, but gives just enough room to type something and submit.

I was thinking I'd have to give up on FlightSim.com after some 20 years.

I use the htttps address.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Wow! Don't know what happened, but I've been having very long wait times getting the forums to load on my iPad. But, today, things load very fast!

I am now able to check things out in a flash!

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure yet, early days, but I think I just stumbled on something good.

I had althis time had a possible issue with page loading slowness.

Same thing I described before. Page appears quickly, and is fully usable, so not really an issue. But.. while the page is already there and usable, the wheel' keeps spinning, and takes another 15 to 20 seconds to stop.

As surmised earlier, possibly to do with pages here that contain "mixed content", meaning Images that are hosted elsewhere, and linked through to Flightsim. The site that hosts the image may not be https, causing this issue.

(At least, that's how I understood the moderators response to my report.)

Anyway, even though I was fine with it, this spinning wheel thing was still there.

Another thing I noticed was that every once in a while, (every two to theree days), the webpage would crash completely. Sometimes invoking an automatic Browser restart.

This seemed to happen more in IE then in FF. (Not fact, impression).

(Both up to date in WIn7-64bit. ---- IE-11, and FF 53.0.3 32 bit.)

I was working in IE again for a change. Usually I use Firefox these days.

I decided to try shifting settings to fix this.

I looked in Otions-Settings-Advanced.

Found nothing too obvious.

But then I saw: "block unsecured images with mixed content"

I decided to check-mark that option.

To my great joy, now pages loaded at the same speed as before, but the wheel no longer kept spinning afterwards.

A page comes up in 1-3 seconds, and is done. No more spinning wheel.

I did a quick test.

Before, the spinning didn't happen in the main forum pages. Those showed green lock, and no spinning.

The spinning happened in many threads, but not in all. Some had yellow lock, and spinning. Others had green lock, and no spinning for 15 to 20 secs.

(In IE-11 it is visually represented slightly different, but it's the same kind of thing.)

Now, no more spinning.

Some pages are still green lock, others (like this page in this thread) still yellow. But no spinning. Quick and much more solid.

That is in IE-11.

And in FF-53.0.1 as well.

(settings in IE have an effect in FF as well.)

-----

I can't say for certain if the occasional page-crashes are now over too, but it all feels much more solid to me!

hope it helps someone,

il.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I see on the Home page, which is where I almost never go!

Do I win something?? The Head Nurse, here at the institution, says we get IScream tonight! I guess that's prize enough:p

Home.JPG

Here's another point to make, website loads fine but screenshot or any other sub forum areas aren't loading properly, and I have cleared the cookies/history...and not showing up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

At the lower left is a pull down box where you select the site template. You currently have selected "photo".

I suggest that you change the selection to "FlightSim", which is the default.

Hi Nels, Now that I tried the "Flightsim" I noticed no difference in page load time so I was going to change back to "Photo" but it now no longer exists as an option!

page options.JPG

Flightsim.com has become almost useless to me. Suffering from same problems reported by others. I can't even get on using Firefox. I get a "Error 502 Bad Gateway" message. The Alert says "Host Error." I can get on using Google Chrome and IE but navigating is insufferably slow.

This is most likely cm issue with your web, firewall, and browser settings. After making the changes I mentioned in this thread and two or three other threads loading is lightning fast.

It was my settings all along. The web site was actually working great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is most likely cm issue with your web, firewall, and browser settings. After making the changes I mentioned in this thread and two or three other threads loading is lightning fast.

It was my settings all along. The web site was actually working great.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the suggestions but nothing has changed the situation. In fact the situation is such today that the only way I can respond here is through Tapatalk from my phone. I don't have a problem with accessing and navigating other web sites and forums such as avsim, SOH, FSDeveloper, alpha India, MAIW, etc. The only thing different over the last month or so is very poor accessibility to and navigation within flight sim.com

I have no doubt the site is fine. I've reached out to friends outside Canada and they don't have these problems. It appears that the issues particularly affect Canadians accessing flightsim.com. And it seems the problem is not restricted to any one ISP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Founder
This has been a most frustrating problem, especially so since neither Rick nor I are able to experience it ourselves. The web site itself is working fine, the problem has always been reaching it. We're continuing to research solutions for this problems and will certainly let you know when we find something useful.

I have no doubt the site is fine. I've reached out to friends outside Canada and they don't have these problems. It appears that the issues particularly affect Canadians accessing flightsim.com. And it seems the problem is not restricted to any one ISP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been aware of the problem that appears to be limited

to Canadian ISPs. We have been working to improve the situation.

We made additional changes today and I would request that you

let me know if your connection has improved.

If you continue to have problems, please PM me your ip address

and a traceroute from you to http://www.flightsim.com

Instructions are here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?16

Regards,

Rick

Rick, whatever you did has restored accessibility to the site. Navigation is smooth and speedy again. Thank you for your attention and resolution to the problem. If the problems return I will follow up with a PM. Again, thank you very much.

Greg

Archived