Changing everything over to a new SSD card?

Going to keep everything simple...In a nutshell two years ago I got a free 128gb SSD card when I bought a new monitor. As it was recommended I put my operating system and FSX on the SSD and everything else on my 1TB HDD backup storage, which has worked out flawlessly. I knew this would happen but I'm starting to quickly run out of storage.

As I've begun to run out of space I bought another 500gb SSD. I do know that it's simply not as easy as dragging and dropping FSX and addon's into the new SSD due to the registry.

Is there a guide or any do's and don'ts before I do this. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently converted from HD to SSD on both C: and D: (my FSX/P3D disk). C: I was able to clone, but D: I just started copying stuff over (except a few small things I don't need), including the sims. Once I had everything over there, I then removed the D: disk and renamed the SSD to D:. P3D, etc. ran fine, so now the former D: is available as a backup or, if I wish, as an additional drive to use with a different ID.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Which version of Windows the OP is running wasn't stated, but this guide for Windows 7 shows what adjustments need to be made, i.e. turn off scheduled defrag, turn off indexing, disable prefetch ... all the things which put unnecessary wear-and-tear on your SSD drive and can actually slow it down.

10 TIPS FOR SSD OPTIMIZATION - PART 1

10 TIPS FOR SSD OPTIMIZATION - PART 2

10 TIPS FOR SSD OPTIMIZATION - PART 3

3 reasons making a system image and transferring the system drive C to the larger drive is the better option.

1-when you make a system image in the future, of the 500gb drive, a system image of C contains th whole system, Programs&Windows. That gives you a nice complete Image. No having to keep track of where everything is and picking backup bits together across different drives.

2-making and restoring a systemimage to transfer to the large drive is dead-easy.

3-Once transferred, with Windows and all programs on C, you have the option in the future of expanding to a larger disk again if needed.

If instead you move things and create symlinks to it, expanding to a larger drive later becomes tricky. Because those folders you moved will have gotten larger, and you can't move them back to C before transferring to a larger drive.

(and a 4th reason)

Keeping the C drive as that 128gb, you would have to start installing new programs on D or E or so. Works as long as drive letters don't change. But if a drive letter changes the things get messed up. Registry entry's go wrong and cause big problems.

--

Much better to migrate to your new 500gb drive using an Imaging program, then keep installing new programs on C as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am using "Acronis True Image 2014"

This is an Acronis version I got for free when I bought a drive bay converter to fit my new SSD (2.5") in a normal drive bay (3.5").

I think it has a retail value of 20$ or so.

It didn't expire so I just kept using it.

Another one I used a few times to make an Image is the freeware "EaseUS ToDo Backup".

I made only a few backups with it, and restored only once or twice, just to test.

I found it very intuitive.

I looked for that because a freind had a new pc, and needed a way to make backups. He didn't want to buy a payware program, so I found this for him.

I since installed EaseUS myself as well, but used it ery rarely.

I still use Acronis True Image 2014. I prefer that because it makes Images in less time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am using "Acronis True Image 2014"

This is an Acronis version I got for free when I bought a drive bay converter to fit my new SSD (2.5") in a normal drive bay (3.5").

I think it has a retail value of 20$ or so.

It didn't expire so I just kept using it.

Same here except I bought it for about $20. IMHO it's worth every penny. At that price, I'd not even recommend anyone waste energy trolling for freeware. ;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Another option that I have used on a number of occasions (the freeware version) is Macrium Reflect......see

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

And for some good advice on how to create ISOs and other backups, see https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/ - it was on this page many years ago, (it has since been updated to include info on W8 and W10) that I first found out about the Reflect product

Regards

Brian

Same here except I bought it for about $20. IMHO it's worth every penny. At that price, I'd not even recommend anyone waste energy trolling for freeware. ;)

Those with WD drives can download a special version of Acronis True Image for free from the WD support page. Crucial also includes a licence for Acronis with some of their SSD models.

Archived