Windows 10, or Windows Crap?

KCD

Well, the inevitable happened... My trusty eifht year old Windows XP Pro machine got hit about two weeks ago and no nothing but a black screen (can't even boot in safe mode). I'm on a new box with Windows 10, and I hate it (although with time I'll probably get used to it).

After reading all that I could find on the subject of FS9 and W10, I boldly went where I had to go. Following all the instructions of CalClassic, I installed my FS9, just the program, no add-ons. I wanted to be sure the thing would work in its basest form, don't you know.

It didn't! (Was that predictable, or what?) When I try to start FS9, I get a message telling me that the program cannot find "MSVCP70.dll".

Question is, where do I find MSVCP70.dll, and where do I put it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's MSVCP70.dll. I've done that search, and they all want to sell you a program (probably . for 49.95) that solves your problems, but I've not seen one of those that works! I thought perhaps someone here might be willing to PM me a copy of the dll with instructions as to where to place it... Maybe? If that is possible, it would sure simplify the whole procedure!

PS...

After what I've just been through with my trusty old tower, I'm not to keen on downloading from anywhere I have not had a chance to develop a relationship with and can trust!!!

The named .dll file is part of the Visual C++ runtime library.

For all of the suggestions that follow you will need the version that meets your OS system type - i.e. 32 bit or 64. All packages can be found on the MS support website.....

Visual C++ Runtime Library - download AND save the latest C++ redistribute package version required by FS2004 (C++ 2005) - install by right clicking on the exe file and running with Admin rights, accepting the default install locations (if offered) suggested. This will install over the current install of 2005 if present, replacing any old or corrupted files but will not affect any other versions of C++ installed.

As you have a 'factory fresh' install of W10 I also suspect that you will be missing.....

DirectX Version 9 (DX9) - W10 only ships with DX10 and DX11 by default, although some 'newer' installs will also have DX12 (which was introduced a couple of months ago as part of the W10 Anniversary update). Again, as per the C++, Redistribute package and install with admin rights into the default locations.

.NET package - As per DX9.....

I re-iterate - the C++ package, and indeed both the DX and .NET packages, are standalone packages and can be safely installed without affecting other similar packages.

Regards

Brian

Thank you Scott & Brian. I've got the DLL, but I'm unsure where it goes. Is it like so many others that live I'm system32 and how about the sysWOW, or does it get placed somewhere else? Any thoughts?

Thank you Scott & Brian. I've got the DLL, but I'm unsure where it goes. Is it like so many others that live I'm system32 and how about the sysWOW, or does it get placed somewhere else? Any thoughts?

Hey Klee! I know where you can stick it!.....Pregnant Pause........Put it in your Sim's Main Folder.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

When you say you got the DLL, I assume you mean you have downloaded a copy of the single file.....using such files can prove problematic. It should also be noted that just because a filename is referenced in an error message, due to the nature of most error messages, it may not be the root cause of the error. It may be that the named file is corrupt, invalid, the wrong version or even missing completely. Or it could be that the named file cannot run properly because another file or process that it requires to run is not present.

As to where to place it......by default the C++ runtime library files will be located in the appropriate system folders. Best option would be to run a search on the system drive using the file name or a wildcard entry such as *70.* and this will give you the location of the file - if it is not totally missing. Using the wild card phrase is best as it will show the file's location if, for example, the file extension has been corrupted or changed (to .bak for example)

However, that said, I strongly recommend that, if you have only got the single file, that you download the full package and install it - as stated in my earlier post, let it install into the default suggested location......

Also, further to my earlier info WRT DX9 - the FS2004 disks have a version of DX9 on them and it would have attempted to install it as part of the install process. This release is woefully out of date (being one of the earliest releases of the package) and is not fully compatible with W10......

Regards

Brian

Thanks for all your help, guys, but after three days of chasing this problem non stop, I'm worn out and tired, I'm going to pause. I wonder if it might be easier to install FS9 on a machine with a new Windows 7 install? Ten is driving me crazy, nothing is where it is supposed to be, everything has changed, and I'm a very unhappy camper. I've got to think this thing through! I suppose I could always buy a box and reinstall XP, but then there is zero support, and FS requires a modicum of internet activity, gotta give it some thought. In the meantime, I'm discouraged!!!

If its any help, my old desk top ran on Vista before I got the new one which runs on Win 10 (64 bit).

To be honest, I didn't think I'd like Win 10 while I was doing the research for the new machine. To be even more honest, I didn't want to like Win 10 but I saw it as inevitable and unavoidable so I took the plunge.

I don't run FS9, I chose to stick with FS2002 and it was a headache to get it working at first. But, this is the now the most stable build of FS I have ever run (going back to FS5 and FSfW95). In almost a year of running FS2002 with all the options on and the sliders maxed out (Eg- I run the max display option locked at 60 frames per second), I've never had a blue screen or a freeze. I have had some flights where it looks like I get kicked out to the desktop but all I have to do is click the FS icon again and I'm back with the sim paused (this only happens during a Win 10 update) and waiting for me. :eek:

So, is Win 10 perfect? No, you will probably find more examples of programs that should be there but are not (you can get these programs for a yearly fee.. :rolleyes: ) and you'll have some challenges getting FS9 to run on Win 10 due to the way M$ released FS9 with its "insert disk 4 now to play" security, BUT...you can fix that. ;)

I can't fault Win 10 in terms of stability. I wish I could at times but I just can't. :) I've run FS2002 for over 12 hours at a time and only thing that quits is me. :pilot: Running FS at 60 fps is a joy I thought I'd never see and it runs rock solid. :eek: Its as if, all of a sudden, FS2002 is no longer the red headed stepchild of the FS family. :eek:

I have another topic on running Win 10 and FS in the FS2002 forum. Reading that may help you. :) You'll need to fix the Disk 4 hassle and you'll need to get acquainted with Win10 compatability mode. Otherwise, let the bug reports do their thing and give the fixes time to install, you'll like the results. :cool:

KCD., you have to be realistic.

You did not understand XP the first day you got it either.

Realise that win10 looks different. But underneath all the old menu's are still there.

You can still find things like the old device management menu, and all those things.

Maybe you are used to the configuration panel with the 26 icons instead of the 8 menu's. Well, look around for a second, and you will see at the top right of the config panel there's a drop-down list with the option "icon view".

In a modern OS, don't try to do everything manually. Especially if you don't knw your way around thje OS, like in your case.

For something like MSVCR, just use the installer.

And if you simply Google it, MSVCRedist70, and read the instructions, MS explains it all.

Stop thinking this works like XP. And stop trying to make it work like that.

Also, think more positively about MS.

They made all your operating systems, and they know very weell what they are doing.

If something is not possible, it's with good reason. Don't try to force it, you'll break things.

MSvcredist installer is an easy "double-click and go" affair. Not rocket science.

Please: No more downloading untrustworthy files from "we have all dll"-type sites.

Keep the rubbish out, and use trusted software only.

You are right that it wil take some time. That is to be expected. New PC, new unknown hardware, new OS, having to reinstall programs, and scrambling to get our data back.

Even with an OS you know that would have taken you weeks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not the type 'PEP-TALK" I'm up for. May be great for you, but it's not for me. There has to be an alternative that makes sense! As for MS, never have liked their force it on you attitude. Now they even have decided it's OK for them to update your machine without permission... great group, aren't they?

Get Classic Shell or one of the other free, good alternative desktops if you can't figure out where things are located in Windows 10. That helps greatly.

Considering that Microsoft created some of the most successful operating systems in history, provided the software systems and simulator programs we all enjoy every day, yes, they've done some great things, for which they rarely get credit. Only a great group of programmers, marketers, and business leaders could accomplish such achievements.

The "I hate Microsoft" rants are cyclical - every time they release a new OS, we see it here in the forums and elsewhere online.

Whether mandatory updates are a genuine effort to reduce support issues and minimize how badly people can unknowingly trash their computers, or whether it's a harbinger of "software as a service" and all that portends, we don't know. Like at all big corporations, people at Microsoft are often compelled to do very stupid, wrong things for all the right corporate reasons.

Get Classic Shell or one of the other free, good alternative desktops if you can't figure out where things are located in Windows 10. That helps greatly.

One of the most useful improvements to Windows is the Start Menu search functionality introduced in Vista, I think it was, and which has been improved in each version since. Simply open the Start menu and start typing the name of the control panel or setting you want to get to. It usually does a good job of getting you where you want to go. I find that going back to XP is can be painful because it is missing lots of the useful little additions that have been added since.

As with any new OS it is best to try to learn the new ways of of doing things. It will take a little time, certainly, but is worth it in the end. Expecting and trying to make Windows 10 work like XP is just going to cause more headaches and problems than taking advantage of the new features. On the other hand, if one doesn't want to learn the new OS, sticking with an older version is an option too.

Think of it like moving from a 30 year old Cessna with steam gauges to a brand new model with a glass cockpit. The underlying concepts of flying the plane and required information, such as altitude and airspeed, are still the same, there is just a new way to access and view the data. Few people are going to be able to simply jump in the new plane and fly away without any kind of familiarization and/or training at all.

For this issue, the best answer appears to be the ones pointing to the VC++ downloads from Microsoft. Messing around with dlls downloaded from third party sites is just inviting more trouble.

Whether mandatory updates are a genuine effort to reduce support issues and minimize how badly people can unknowingly trash their computers, or whether it's a harbinger of "software as a service" and all that portends, we don't know. Like at all big corporations, people at Microsoft are often compelled to do very stupid, wrong things for all the right corporate reasons.

I'm pretty sure it's a mix of trying to keep the OS secure and push back against all of those people who and don't install updates, especially the security ones, as well as the marketing and business side wanting to avoid too many people sticking with an old version of Windows like XP. There are far too many PCs infected on the internet which are used to send out spam and attack other computers that affect the rest of us. Granted someone in the business or marketing side did get a little over zealous with pushing out the free Windows 10 upgrade. Unfortunately this over shadowed all of the great work done by the developers.

I just don't know how to respond to your post, Loki. I have been involved with computers long before Bill Gates became a household word, but I've never been a fan, nor will I ever be. Bill Gates, and his juggernaut company, has only one interest; bottom line. They care not for their clientele, witness the software releases without proper beta testing, often ill fated operating system up dates. No, these are not the do-gooders you, and others, are touting in their posts, they are ruthless, selfish, businessmen who have placed their value far higher than it deserves... didn't like them 20 years ago, like them less today. But, they are a monopoly. The government crushed the finest telephone system the world had ever seen, why do they let this giant stand? No competitor can gain a foothold let alone an advantage; just look at Linux and the once mighty Mac.

Ten is an abortion that has been force fed to the computer using public against their will. Microsoft has updated countless windows 7 machines without seeking permission from the machine's owners. Those are the actions of the people you mention in your post. Aren't they wonderful?

I've had this machine for about ten days. Nothing I've done with it has been easy; everything has been counter intuitive. No program I've attempted to load has loaded easily, or run properly. I've put it away; it will stay away. Ten is a disaster! I will find an acceptable work around rather than be bullied into a piece of junk!

Your look on it is skewed.

It's not "the evil ones" that stopped other OS's.

People, consumers, want a pc that just works. And it must be safe for them to store private info on, yet also have an internet connection. Safe to do banking from.

Also it must be capable of running all kinds of software. From printer drivers, Text editors, graphics programs, games, everything.

Not everyone wants it all at once, but...

The pc must be able to communicate with other pc's as well. The files you make at work on that computer, must also be taken homwe to work on.

It's consumers that choose en masse to go with Windows. Almost all offices and schools use it too.

No evil intentions there at all.

A freind of mine was very interested when I told about free linux. She was a lot less interested when I told her much of her hardware would not run on it. Companies like printer makers won't make printer drivers, same for videocards, etc. Not only that, but also pretty much all the software she was used to wouldn't run on it either.

You talk about Mac and linux. Did you know FSX, FS2004, just to name a few, won't run on it at all?

You keep cussing about MS, but you have been wasn't it MSfs2004 you liked so much? They created it for you you know?

They also created the only MS these games will run on. And they made sure that the OS's since 98 could all still run the games.

You should be grateful for that I think.

Saying you like FS2004 to bits, but hate MS, is an idiosyncrasy.

Stop trying to swim upstream. You won't get anywhere with that. It's just make you angry and frustrated.

Go with the flow, you'll find it much more relaxing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm firmly with Klee on his rejection of Windows 10. It's not a desktop OS, in fact Windows 7 was the last desktop OS produced by Microsoft and it's the only one I would recommend for FS2004. Sure, FS2004 will run fine on Windows 10, but not all of your payware add-ons will!

Windows 7 gives maximum compatibility with legacy software and modern software for FS2004, and the 64-bit version is the best tool for the job by far.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Klee,

Either stay with XP or do Win7x64, the latter being the best choice. There are issues with Win8 and beyond that are unresolved (so far). Windows Defender cannot be disabled past Win7 which means that the scan now functionality is running with an agenda of it's own.

What that translates into is that you may or may not be able to remove or disable components from a Win8 or Win10 system. For instance, Defender can automatically enable Windows Update on a reboot and I don't believe that there is a fix available, (at least haven't found one).

Also, Defender re-enables various Windows components weather you've disabled them or not. That would include downloading boxart from 65.55.162.26. The reason that happens is actually insidious as it is a data collection system for FS9 users. Kind of like screen shots with links to Photobucket or other 3rd party image sites.

While the world is moving away from Flash. it is embedded in Win8 and it cannot be removed. I don't know if you can remove it from Win10.

Win7x64 memory management is excellent and you can (and should) use the NTCore 4GB Patch with FS9. And how's this for irony, the firewall in Win7x64 Professional is excellent and can be used to prevent Microsoft and others from accessing your system. I often wonder if that's one of the reasons why MS bounced out of Win7 so fast.

But there are some downsides to Win7x64 as there could be issues with older gauges not working properly. I run into gauges which crash as they were designed back in 1999 or 2001. However, on my system, FS9 has been producing some nice screen shots and I'm running it on Win7x64.

Hope that helps and Best Regards,

Mark

Mmmm, I actually have no issues with Windows 10 at all.

I'm running 3x versions of FS2004, as well as P3D.

I run as 'Admin', with UAC turned down, & I've found things run slightly smoother in Windows 10 than they did in Windows 7.

I'm using a 4 year old i5 4gb RAM laptop.

All, including payware run seamlessly.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Mmmm, I actually have no issues with Windows 10 at all.

I'm running 3x versions of FS2004, as well as P3D.

I run as 'Admin', with UAC turned down, & I've found things run slightly smoother in Windows 10 than they did in Windows 7.

I'm using a 4 year old i5 4gb RAM laptop.

All, including payware run seamlessly.

That's good that you don't have any issues with Win10, but that doesn't mean that there aren't issues with the system. A couple of things that you could answer for the group...

Were you able to disable Windows Defender in Win10? Also, can you remove the embedded Flash component from your version of Win10.

Now this isn't a Win10 issue, but what about the 65.55.162.26 backdoor which is being used by games.metadata.windowsmedia.com.akadns.net. I mean, it is a Microsoft sponsored data collection system. It let's everyone know you're using Flight Simulator and reports your IP Address, doesn't it?

I mean, I would consider that a privacy issue, albiet, not a Win10 issue. However, once a bell's been rung and here we go again. If that was the only history of Microsoft then it would already be too much for me. But it seems that we just might be ignoring the underlying theme of privicy and the drive to remove it, in favor of a little calculated misdirection.

Is that why MS gave Windows 10 away for free?

Best Regards!

Mark

I'm using a 4 year old i5 4gb RAM laptop

...which is a mobile device, not a desktop PC. If people started thinking of Windows 10 as Microsoft Android, the whole thing would start making more sense - the similarities are obvious when you start thinking about it.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thank you, Mark and Tim, a Windows 7 box is at the top of the list of consideration. I will be exploring those options over the next several days, I may PM you with a question or two, if that's OK? Meanwhile, windows 10 machine has been boxed and sent off... just not for me.

Hi Klee,

If you are considering going down the W7 route, why not consider going the dual boot route and install W7 OR, better still, W8.1 in a separate partition.

WRT to OS support - it has two 'cycles' often referred to as Mainstream and Extended. Mainstream support provides security updates, new features and fixes for compatibility issues. Extended only provides security updates.

Win 7 - no longer has Mainstream support (ended Jan 2015) and Extended support ends Jan 2020

Win 8.1 - Mainstream support will end Jan 2018 and Extended Jan 2023

Therefore W8.1 seems to be a better choice WRT support options.

WRT to the problem - Installing into a new W7/W8.1. although less likely, may also cause the same issue. As I have highlighted in my first post (at #5) there are several W10 issues that can cause the problem, and, as further highlighted in my second post (at #8), it may not be the named file that is causing the problem. One option is to 'ignore' the original issue for the time being, install the C++/DX/.NET packages and see what happens.......

Regards

Brian

Klee,

Sorry to butt in here but the advice being provided needs a bit more explainations as to their actual affect. The upsides and the downsides with regards to FS9, which is what you run, isn't it?

Win 7 - no longer has Mainstream support (ended Jan 2015) and Extended support ends Jan 2020

I'm not certain as to how that will effect a decision to use Win7x64 Pro or not, and needs to be explained just a bit better. For my part, it doesn't matter at all.

Anyway, I think Win7x64 Pro (Pro is important) is a good choice. Remeber about the gauges as old ones could have instancing issues with a 64bit system...kneeboard crashes while hiding behind other windows comes to mind.

Mark

Archived