Which TV?

Jim Hall

I am having a computer built for FSX with an Intel Core i7-7700, Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 gHz etc and an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Hybrid Gaming card and was asked which of the two following TV's would I like to buy:

Samsung - 40" Class (40" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV – Black

Hisense - 50" Class (49.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range - Black.

I rather like the bigger one but have no technical reason why except it's bigger. I would like the advice of you pros if you would be so kind.

Thank you,

Jim

i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Thanks, Loki. I will be sitting about 5' from the monitor. Is that too close for the 50" TV?
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Thank you Michael. I hope to add two more monitors later on. Does that change your advice?

Thank you Michael. I hope to add two more monitors later on. Does that change your advice?

Actually, that plan reinforces my point. I'm currently using three 31" monitors at a distance of about 5'. I've set them up with "eyefinity" to represent what is as I remember it, a much more accurate out of a RW cockpit view.

I flew USMC CH-34s & CH-46s during combat in Vietnam. While there is no sim or display that can recreate what I saw, even ignoring the tracer rounds and mortar explosions. This format is the best combination I've found while flying on a quiet non-combat day to date!

If you are trying to sim your flight experience, especially if you are using side screens, you don't need to overwhelm your senses with a huge screen which you have to turn your head to see. That's like sitting on the front row at a big screen movie house!! (Assuming you know what a big screen movie house even is).

You need to see what is out there as your eyes normally would process them! And that is where the equal sized and formatted main and side screens IMHO really come into play! I wouldn't overpower them with a huge center screen! To my eyes, three same sized screens, even if they're all somewhat smaller than your original plan, works far and away the best! ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Remember that you will be running FSX at whatever the monitor resolution is. So if they spout ''TV is '4011 by 4011' res'' then you will probably have to use binoculars to find the runway (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived