best use of SSD drive?

alexzar14

I know it is best when P3D is not on the same with Windows. My P3D & XPlane are on the separate drive.

Question:

does it mater whether or not P3D is on the same drive with a ton of other stuff including Xplane? Is it best (for performance) that P3D be on the separate drive with nothing on it other than P3D? or it does not matter?

I know it is best when P3D is not on the same with Windows. My P3D & XPlane are on the separate drive.

Question:

does it mater whether or not P3D is on the same drive with a ton of other stuff including Xplane? Is it best (for performance) that P3D be on the separate drive with nothing on it other than P3D? or it does not matter?

It does not matter.

Put everything on one hard drive. Why do we keep having this same discussion over and over again?

With hard disks, there is a noticeable performance difference, Jim, mostly because Windows and FSX/P3D are wanting disk access at the same time. With SSDs, the difference will be less noticeable, but still there.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I have one 256Gb SSD for europe, including WIN10, Prepar3D, All my scenery's for Europe

my on-line ( IVAO ) programme.

From Cold start up PC it takes only 4minutes and ready to go from my default airport.

In comparison with a conventionel drive it will takes at least 20minutes with the same software installed as above.

For North America and Oceania i have for each a separate 256Gb. Also each SSD has his own WIN10 , Prepar3d etc etc.

Hope that this will help you.

Regards Peter

With hard disks, there is a noticeable performance difference, Jim, mostly because Windows and FSX/P3D are wanting disk access at the same time. With SSDs, the difference will be less noticeable, but still there.

And people in this very forum ran timed tests years ago and it showed absolutely no difference where Windows, FSX, and add-ons were installed. This myth of splitting Windows and FSX has got to go away. BTW, Windows 10 needs very little disk access including the page file.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

And people in this very forum ran timed tests years ago and it showed absolutely no difference where Windows, FSX, and add-ons were installed. This myth of splitting Windows and FSX has got to go away. BTW, Windows 10 needs very little disk access including the page file.

I agree. Only in benchmarks does it make a difference. We're talking nanoseconds here, absolutely NOT noticeable in a typical flight sim installation.

Iy's just like woodworking - many people go out and buy

rulers and measuring devices accurate to 1/64" - problem is I haven't found anyone who can cut wood more accurate than 1/16".

It's only important in theory, not practice.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Some few months ago I bought a nearly new PC, and its SSD (512 Gb) was already partitioned. Not a bad thing.

SSD shouldn't be defragmented. It could be damaged.

Actually it can be, and it is extremely unlikely to be damaged. The advice is given because an SSD has its lifespan limited by the total number of read/writes it can perform before it tires and dies. Tiring being when too many read/writes cause start to cause cells to fail. Usually indicating imminent failure of the drive.

Windows actually DOES defrag SSD under certain conditions, and given there are a finite number of fragmented bytes even an SSD can deal with, it is even necessary.

Actually it can be, and it is extremely unlikely to be damaged. The advice is given because an SSD has its lifespan limited by the total number of read/writes it can perform before it tires and dies. Tiring being when too many read/writes cause start to cause cells to fail. Usually indicating imminent failure of the drive.

Windows actually DOES defrag SSD under certain conditions, and given there are a finite number of fragmented bytes even an SSD can deal with, it is even necessary.

It should also be noted that with wear levelling, over provisioning and other features, as well as typical consumer usage patterns, most recent model SSD drives will last about as long as a hard drive (which also have a limited lifespan too). One would need to defrag just about every day to seriously affect the lifespan of an SSD.

I know about not to defrag a SSD.

But how is a SSD compared to a defrag HD. Or do I have to 'continually' defrag my HD.

You don't need to "continually" defrag an HD unless it's constantly being changed over a large fraction of the disk. When you use the windows defrag tool, it'll even tell you how badly defrag is needed.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

If you're looking in "My Computer" then you just click on the name where it says "new drive (G:)" and it'll let you change it, just like changing a file name (it won't change the "G" that way though).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

• 4 weeks later...

There's so many myths surrounding SSD's, especially in the gaming market.

The real reason people split programs/data across multiple drives when using SSD's has nothing to do with performance or Windows doing background I/O...

It's generally because SSD's are small in capacity when compared to their spinning brethren, and therefore "disk real estate" is precious and in short supply.

Many people install some of their games/software/data on a second disk that is not an SSD simply to alleviate this issue. Heck, Prepar3d with add ons installed can easily climb over 60GB+ on disk, and between Windows taking ~40GB, that's majority of your shiny new SSD already accounted for.

For older software, or low-end software (like old games, etc), that do not need SSD performance (little-to-no disk I/O, or loading is all at the start of the program), it makes little sense to hog your SSD space. After all, Microsoft Word isn't somehow going to work "better" because it's on an SSD (there's so little I/O happening you won't notice a difference).

Archived