Will this be good enough for FSX Gold

benibaz

Hello again! I am just about to pay for this computer and want to know if it is compatable for FSX Gold+acceleration

BMTHYRA CAJA ATX B-MOVE THYRA 500W NEGRA

H97M PLACA BASE ASRock H97M ANNIVERSARY

BX806446 MICRO INTEL I3 4170 3.7GHZ 3MB 1150BOX

DIM DDR3 4GB 1600 KINGSTON HX316C10F/4

ROJA

GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GD5TLP

TARJETA DE SONIDO Creative Sound Blaster Z

WD10EZEX DD 3.5" 1TB WD SATA3 64 MB BLUE 7200

ENSAMBLAJE Y CONFIGURACION

INSTALACION DE SO:Windows 7 Pro x64bit SP1

INSTALACION DE PAQUETE DE SOFTWARE Y DRIVERS

TOTAL PC MONTADO 680.00

680.00 +142.80

Base imponible Total Impuestos TOTAL PRESUPUESTO

822.80€

Conforme el cliente

Is it worth buying? thanks.benibaz

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

Hi Benibaz,

Whilst the rig will run FSX, you will probably have to scale back on settings to the lower end of the scale. Other things you need to consider is what additions you will be making to FSX in the form of scenery and planes etc. The current rig may be fine for default scenery and planes and you may get a decent level of frame rates etc, but when you add more complex stuff from the likes of ORBX, Aerosoft, PMDG etc, it will have a massive hit on how the sim will run.

As FXS is CPU intensive an i3, even one that is, on paper, more powerful than a low end i5, is not going to give a reasonable level of performance to run at med or high settings. If possible, go for a med or high end i5 at the very least, although if you can afford it a i7 would be better.

Also consider adding more RAM - the chosen OS is 64 bit so can handle more RAM (a 32 bit OS can only handle a max of 4Gb), but will require a minimum of 2Gb to run efficiently based on the stated MS requirements. Therefore, that will only leave about 2Gb for all other programs and processes to run with the likelihood that, at best, FSX will only get about a gig or so of that. The min amount to look at is 8Gb - FSX is a 32 bit program and therefore, as with a 32 OS can only use a max of 4Gb if it is available. With 8Gb it is likely to get the full 4Gb and therefore will have improved performance.

I have recently answered a similar Q in another thread where I gave a comparison of my experience on running FSX on two different rigs. Whilst not 'scientific' it does give you some idea of what you might experience - (see https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?302170-Getting-a-new-laptop-Will-this-run-FSX)

Regards

Brian

Hello Brian, thank you for the information,I have another option which is this one:-

Características Generales

Procesador Intel Core i7 3770 (4x3,4GHz Up 3,9Ghz)

Placa Base MSI H61M

2000Gb Hdd Serial ATA3, 7200rpm, 32Mb

16Gb Ram DDR3-1600 Mhz Kingston

DVDRW Dual Doble Capa Lg

Tarjeta Gráfica Nvidia Geforce GTX760 3Gb GDDR5

Puertos HDMI y DVI digital

Puerto VGA D Sub

Tarjeta Sonido HD 8 Canales Dolby 7.1

8 x USB 2.0 (6 traseros, 2 frontales)

Tarjeta de Red 1Gb

2 Puertos PS2

Caja ATX con audio y micro

Fuente Alimentación 500w ventilador 12cm (sonido fuente silenciosa)

Windows 7 Pro x64bit SP1

will this one be even better(and it´s €200.00 cheaper)?thanks.Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

Yes it's 60% better. But the i7 will not be overclockable. My i7 2600K is and it will 'turbo boost' to 3.877 automatically as needed. Try to get 2 x 1 Tb Hdrives (7200 rpm is a must!) so you can put Windows on C: and Flight Simulator on D: drive. Works better. You don't really need a sound card as FS is mono anyway. Trade cooling for sound card. My 2 cents.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi, napamule is right. You don't need an additional soundcard to enjoy FSX but, FSX is stereo or two channels capable. Maybe it is not obvious in flight, but more on the ground.(have Orbx airports that add great environments)

And, using Track IR for years, the sound is stereoscopic, in relation of your head moves.

An onboard sound on any descent motherboard will do the job.

Dan

i7 4790K - 16gig on Gigabyte Z97X (Gaming 5) / Ge Force 970 OC

Win 7 (64b) on SSD Samsung Pro 240 / FSX Gold (Accel) on SSD Samsung Pro 120

Saitek yoke, throttle, quadrant and Saitek radio, multi, switch panels / Logitech G13

Track IR5 / GMap on iPad. / Orbx Global and Airports

Mostly flies Carenados C206G, C185F, C182Q, C182RG, C340II, B58 and Phenom 100.

and, of course, a "few" tweaking in CSX.cfg, NVidia inspector and DXfixer... ;-)

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

Hello napamule,these are the specs of the CPU:-

PROCESADOR INTEL CORE I7 3770, 4 NÚCLEOS, 8Mb Caché

Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor

(8M Cache, 4 x 3.4 GHz Up to 3,9GHz)

Hasta 15,60GHz a máximo rendimiento

Especificaciones

-

Puntos fundamentales

Estado Launched

Fecha de lanzamiento Q2'14

Número de procesador i7-3770

Intel® Smart Cache 8 MB

DMI2 5 GT/s

Nº de enlaces QPI 0

Conjunto de instrucciones 64-bit

Extensiones del conjunto de instrucciones SSE4.1/4.2, AVX 2.0

Opciones de integrados disponibles

No

Litografía

22 nm

Más información fabricante: http://ark.intel.com/es-es/products/65719/Intel-Core-i7-3770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

and these are the specs for the HDD :-

DISCO 2TB HDD SATA3 7200RPM

Interfaz SATA3 6Gb/s y NCQ

Velocidad de giro 7200 rpm

Buffer de la Caché 32 Mb

Rendimiento rápido y Fiabilidad exquisita

Modelo Hitachi con Nivel sonoro alto

Excepcional fiabilidad y robustez

As there will be nothing else on C: except FSX,do I really need 2 x 1Tb HDD´S?.Barry

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

Hello Daniel T,I have decided to go for the second option so the Sound Blaster becomes unneccesary,thanks for the additional info.Barry

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

The idea of having 2 HDDs is to avoid disk contention when both the OS and FSX needs to access files.

I used to have 3 x 1 TB HDDs, one for FSX, one for photoscenery, and one for the OS and "everything else". The first two were replaced earlier this week by 1 TB SSDs. The third one will be replaced by a SSD also, but then I will retain one HDD as a "work disk", where my editing, unzipping etc. is done.

Jorgen

The idea of having 2 HDDs is to avoid disk contention when both the OS and FSX needs to access files.

I used to have 3 x 1 TB HDDs, one for FSX, one for photoscenery, and one for the OS and "everything else". The first two were replaced earlier this week by 1 TB SSDs. The third one will be replaced by a SSD also, but then I will retain one HDD as a "work disk", where my editing, unzipping etc. is done.

Jorgen

Thank you Jorgen for clarifying the need to have more than one HDD,I have notified the seller of the computer I wish to buy from,to replace the 1 x 2TB HDD for 2 x 1TB HDD´s. if at all possible.Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

The reason for 1 x 2Tb offering is two fold. One you MAY buy a second one (that is called 'Marketing Stragety'). The other is to avoid 'blame' if you install a different OS and it balks at having 2 HDrives when you intall it. The 'informed' procedure is to have only the C: drive (for OS) plugged in when you DO install a new OS. You would have to read for years (like I did) at forums to run into this bit of nebulous advice. It has something to do with the BIOS actually and not the OS. When Windows is working good and all updates are done then shut down, plug the second HD and then install Flight Sim on second HD. But it's your choice/call.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

The reason for 1 x 2Tb offering is two fold. One you MAY buy a second one (that is called 'Marketing Stragety'). The other is to avoid 'blame' if you install a different OS and it balks at having 2 HDrives when you intall it. The 'informed' procedure is to have only the C: drive (for OS) plugged in when you DO install a new OS. You would have to read for years (like I did) at forums to run into this bit of nebulous advice. It has something to do with the BIOS actually and not the OS. When Windows is working good and all updates are done then shut down, plug the second HD and then install Flight Sim on second HD. But it's your choice/call.

Chuck B

Napamule

Hello napamule,the computer will come with the OS(win7+)pre-installed so I would expect it to placed on C: which is what I have asked for, so I asume there should be no conflict with D: which will also be pre-installed.Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

You should definitely follow Chuck's advice and get the OS working and updated first, before you install anything else. This will entail reading a lot!

A decision you also will have to make is if you're going to go to Windows 10 - I don't know if this is still being offered as a free upgrade. A lot of people don't like Win 10, or simply don't want to have anything to do with it. I run it on 4 computers and it has always worked fine for me.

Jorgen

You should definitely follow Chuck's advice and get the OS working and updated first, before you install anything else. This will entail reading a lot!

A decision you also will have to make is if you're going to go to Windows 10 - I don't know if this is still being offered as a free upgrade. A lot of people don't like Win 10, or simply don't want to have anything to do with it. I run it on 4 computers and it has always worked fine for me.

Jorgen

Thank you Jorgen for the advice,I am another who is not in favour of Win10,and in any case the computer has a pre-installed latest updated Win 7 Pro x64 + SP1.I have now ordered and paid for the computer,so it´s going to have to do for now.Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

Jorgen

Why bother with actually installing and seting up two hard drives instead of simply using one disk and making a partition for runnig FSX on it or whatever you need??

Maybe if you use a HDD and a SSD it might make sense, but otherwise...??

Why bother with actually installing and seting up two hard drives instead of simply using one disk and making a partition for runnig FSX on it or whatever you need??

Maybe if you use a HDD and a SSD it might make sense, but otherwise...??

As noted above, having two separate drives means the sim and OS won't be fighting for access to the disk. With multiple partitions on one hard drive, the OS and sim will have to wait their turn when the other needs something from the drive. Multiple partitions were a good solution when hard drives were relatively expensive, but with the cheap price of hard drives days, multiple drives is often a better solution.

Yes it's 60% better. But the i7 will not be overclockable. My i7 2600K is and it will 'turbo boost' to 3.877 automatically as needed. Try to get 2 x 1 Tb Hdrives (7200 rpm is a must!) so you can put Windows on C: and Flight Simulator on D: drive. Works better. You don't really need a sound card as FS is mono anyway. Trade cooling for sound card. My 2 cents.

Chuck B

Napamule

Being overclockable and having Turbo Boost are two separate features. Unlocked Intel processors, the 'K' models, allow you to overclock the CPU yourself over and above the factory default. With the 2600K models, boosting the base frequency to 4.2 GHz or more was common.

Turbo Boost, while being similar in that it overclocks the CPU, is avilable on many of Intel's i5 and i7 processors but has some limitations. The first is that it will only overclock a relatively limited amount. And secondly, it will shut down cores to help keep the processor within its thermal design limits as the clock speed increases. Typically only one core out of four will be active at the max Turbo Boost setting on a quad core processor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

Being overclockable and having Turbo Boost are two separate features. Unlocked Intel processors, the 'K' models, allow you to overclock the CPU yourself over and above the factory default. With the 2600K models, boosting the base frequency to 4.2 GHz or more was common.

Turbo Boost, while being similar in that it overclocks the CPU, is avilable on many of Intel's i5 and i7 processors but has some limitations. The first is that it will only overclock a relatively limited amount. And secondly, it will shut down cores to help keep the processor within its thermal design limits as the clock speed increases. Typically only one core out of four will be active at the max Turbo Boost setting on a quad core processor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

Thank you loki for the info,this will be taken into consideration when the new computer arrives.Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

Archived