Take off and climb speed

svpst

I understand that regulations supposedly call for speeds under 250 mph when less than 10,000 feet. However, I've had some friends flying lately out of Orlando, New York and Chicago, and in all 4 of the flights I have tracked, the planes were showing 270 to 350 kts at less than (usually 8,000 to 10,000) feet. By 10,000 most are close to 400. Have rules changes?

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Maybe your friends dont know the rules?

As far as True vs IAS, IAS wont vary that much from True airspeed. Depends on a few factors of course.

PC specs: Windows 7 pro 64 bit,Intel core i5 2500 CPU @3.3 Mhz,GFORCE GTX 570

8 Gb pc, 1 Gb video card. 500gb HD

Real world CPL pilot with 800 hours logged in single engine / multi engine aircraft

His friends were riding real aircraft that the OP tracked with one of the online products. Those products give speeds as TAS.

At 10,000', 50*F, and 29.92" 300KTS indicated yields 359KTS true.

I don't see a big issue here as the tracking sites don't seem to provide all of the data needed to do an accurate calculation.

Here's a conversion tool you can play with...

http://indoavis.co.id/main/tas.html

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

I understand that regulations supposedly call for speeds under 250 mph when less than 10,000 feet. However, I've had some friends flying lately out of Orlando, New York and Chicago, and in all 4 of the flights I have tracked, the planes were showing 270 to 350 kts at less than (usually 8,000 to 10,000) feet. By 10,000 most are close to 400. Have rules changes?

First, you have stated `mph` in your post when it's Kts. Perhaps your friends made similar or other mistakes?

it is quite common for the rules to be cancelled by ATC to allow quicker vectoring from SIDS to en route.

The speed limit was introduced to allow for throttling back for reduced noise over sensitive areas when aircraft didn't have a surfeit of power, and would be operating at max thrust - and therefore noise.

Modern airliners and noise footprint of high bypass ratio turbofans, together with requirements to expedite traffic flows, often mean the speed maxima is waived as part of the approval.

`Get high, fast` is also a staple for reduced fuel flows in jet aircraft

Thanks for your responses. All tracking was don on Flightaware. Friends were flying on airlines. First sentence of comment i inadvertently used MPH. All other references were to kts. All numbers used were Flightaware numbers. Just for the record. Thanks again for all the responses. Two flights were from Orlando, KMCO one from KORD and one from KLGA. Friends had nothing to do with the flight. I was simply tracking the flights because my friends were on board.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

The speed limit was introduced to allow for throttling back for reduced noise over sensitive areas when aircraft didn't have a surfeit of power, and would be operating at max thrust - and therefore noise.

See and avoid with the heavier traffic load down low was also a big factor (at least in the US).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Maybe your friends dont know the rules?

As far as True vs IAS, IAS wont vary that much from True airspeed. Depends on a few factors of course.

At sea level that may be true, but the difference becomes quite dramatic at jet altitudes, and is still very pronounced at 10,000 feet.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

KTAS at 10,000 MSL at standard atmospheric conditions at 10,000 MSL is roughly 120% of KIAS; 250 KIAS would be roughly 300 KTAS. My guess is the readouts you see are groundspeed, showing the effect of local wind on ground track. Also, heavies often are granted lifting of speed restrictions by ATC if needed.

Archived