Best way to simulate Southern California SMOG?

dogdish

I usually fly around with clear skies and then I saw somebody's screen shot of So Cal with smog like I use to remember as a kid. (No longer live in So Cal)

What is the best way to simulate smog? Please post screenshot if you have one.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I have seen it flying into KLAX in the early evening with the sun angle just right. I always use the world-wide weather that updates every 15 minutes. For a quick flight, you can set up some overcast that's fairly low to the ground. This shot was taken over Ontario airport at about 2500 feet.

Ontario area.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

BTW I remember in the Baywatch TV series of about 20 years ago how in some shots filmed in Socal there was often a filthy yellow smog in the background over the cities even on sunny days, I hope they've cleaned up the air since then or do people still have to breathe the stuff?

PS- i suppose most of the world's big cities were (or are) the same, I'm not singling out the USA.

I grew up in NorCal, and we had fog, not smog. Nice winds off the Pacific kept SFO clear. And it's environs, although sometimes in summer, San Jose got a bit smoggy. Then I got transferred to El Tore, and I couldn't believe the smog in LA. Then, at last I got Yuma shoved at me, and it has dust storms, but not much smog. Then, with advent of the Internet later, I got a wider perspective. Then I read about Beijing. Smoggiest city in the world, I understand. There are days the smog is so thick, people need gas masks almost. Most have to wear dust masks at the very least. Look like a bunch of surgeons. The city is nearly hidden by the smog. Talking less than 1/4 mi viz. Pretty bad.

I am sure glad I live in rural Oregon! Decent, clean sweet air here. Almost like when I was growing up. I'm not really one to complain too much. I smoke so much, Beijing looks clean...

Enjoy the clean air, simulated or not!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Here's the shot that brought back the memory by BradB...

2016-7-12_17-27-29-131.jpg

Mostly fog fortunately :)

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Here's the shot that brought back the memory by BradB...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]191546[/ATTACH]

Mostly fog fortunately :)

Yes obviously! Smog is usually either yellow or shades of brown. Flying in from the east it looks like a semi sheer curtain. The view is clear and then at one point everything going west starts to look very smudged. UGH!:eek::eek:

Sorry to say I've also seen smog around Dallas as well!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Use a weather program such as ASN or AS16.

Isn't that a online only deal? My FSX is fully offline capable and want to keep it that way.

BTW I remember in the Baywatch TV series of about 20 years ago how in some shots filmed in Socal there was often a filthy yellow smog in the background over the cities even on sunny days, I hope they've cleaned up the air since then or do people still have to breathe the stuff?

PS- i suppose most of the world's big cities were (or are) the same, I'm not singling out the USA.

Baywatch? I wasn't looking at the smog (.)(.) :cool:

Isn't that a online only deal? My FSX is fully offline capable and want to keep it that way.

Then your options are limited to using the weather options screen in FSX.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Here is a shot...still using the updated weather for FSX over Beijing, China at about 4500 feet. Weather calls it "overcast"!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]191550[/ATTACH]

Sorry! That isn't overcast nor is it shown correctly! It's the lifeblood sucking loss of atmosphere which keeps us all alive! And no, that isn't even close to being the pea-green, brown, or yellow appearance we who have lived within that cloud know comes from smog!

That "China" screenshot would be much more accurate if it showed the tens of millions who wear face masks when walking outside every day!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Then your options are limited to using the weather options screen in FSX.

Yes they are. Ideally a freeware add on to the weather options screen for maybe Light Smog, Medium Smog, Heavy Smog. Probably based off the "Fogged in" option with varying "smog" coloring. Unfortunately have not seen anything like that in the FlightSim library.

Archived