UPGRADE to Windows 10 problem

michaeljulian

Oh, Ok, Sorry Tim, I just have the Home edition'& thought it was all about running in compatibility mode. I have to run some of my very old installers for flight sim in a compatibility mode to get it to run & install. Maybe 2 or 3 out of hundreds.

Pleased the OP is up & running.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... manually update my (onboard) graphics driver. ...

Has Micro$oft seen the light and relented on some of the draconian "features" of W10; specifically that it will automatically update any drivers on the system (video, audio, printer, etc.) as part of windows update. How often have you preferred to use an older driver? Unless recently changed, W10 will override your preference. In fact W10 will not even allow you to turn off auto-updating.

UAC was a constant irritant, couldn't perform the simplest of computer tasks without dealing with popup prompt windows, and I will not have any OS telling me I do not have access to, or permission to do, something on my own computer. Also, without UAC programs are "run as administrator" by default, so that is never an issue.

I find this argument interesting. In the Unix/Linux world it is considered standard procedure, and the smart way to run a computer, to not run as root (ie. Admin) for regular tasks. One only switches, or raises, their permissions to root level when they need to do so and then drops back. No one has an issue with it, and this is a group that is very concerned with having full control over their machines. Especially in the Linux/FreeBSD camps which have far more control over their OS than a Windows user ever did, or will.

In Microsoft's case, I don't think they went far enough in pushing developers to properly update their applications, or in educating users. It should have been done when they switched everyone over to the same NT based OS with the release of XP. UAC is all about making sure you do keep control of the machine yourself. Firewalls, anti-virus and trying to keep an eye on all running tasks are good secondary measures to take, but a secure OS and keeping malicious code from getting onto the machine in the first place should be step number one.

Has Micro$oft seen the light and relented on some of the draconian "features" of W10; specifically that it will automatically update any drivers on the system (video, audio, printer, etc.) as part of windows update. How often have you preferred to use an older driver? Unless recently changed, W10 will override your preference. In fact W10 will not even allow you to turn off auto-updating.

After I had updated, I could not set my graphics resolution. I think it was the standard default 1024x whatever it was, & I had no other choices. So, I just clicked on Update Driver in the properties, & all was good. A friend of mine had the same. After his upgrade, he had huge icons on his desktop. Updating graphics drivers made us all smile again.

That was the only driver issue I have had.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I find this argument interesting. ....

On average I am on my computer several hours every day (I work at home) and often need admin privileges to do something. It is a royal PITA to wait for windows shutdown, reboot, windows start every blessed time. Not to mention my blood pressure cannot take UAC's constant barrage of prompts every time I want to copy/move/delete/edit; and I use Unlocker frequently (note to Micro$oft - if a file is not open it is not "in use").

On average I am on my computer several hours every day (I work at home) and often need admin privileges to do something. It is a royal PITA to wait for windows shutdown, reboot, windows start every blessed time. Not to mention my blood pressure cannot take UAC's constant barrage of prompts every time I want to copy/move/delete/edit; and I use Unlocker frequently (note to Micro$oft - if a file is not open it is not "in use").

Believe it or not, there ARE some good videos on YouTube for setting up Win10. I found a lot of info about turning off some features and even where to find some variables in the registry (just a head's up, its much tougher to not only get into the registry but to find what you're looking for once you get there, there's a ton and a half of branching in the new reg).

Just search under "Windows 10 set up" and then get ready to take some notes. Pay attention to when the video was made, however. Some of them date back to beta versions and the info may no longer apply.

Believe it or not, there ARE some good videos on YouTube for setting up Win10. .....

I believe we have our wires crossed. I am not using W10 (nor have I any plans to; my next system, probably my last, will be W7 ...unless some wondrous soul releases an alternate OS that will run my windows games).

Archived