UPGRADE to Windows 10 problem

michaeljulian

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI hackers love machines with UAC turned off/down.

And users hate machines with UAC turned on. Security is fine, but UAC is like having a deadbolt lock on every door in your house, even closets.

In twenty five years I've had hacker problems just once, and it was cured by changing my hotmail password. But, just in case, I keep my entire system backed up on an external drive safely stashed in the hall closet.

And users hate machines with UAC turned on. Security is fine, but UAC is like having a deadbolt lock on every door in your house, even closets.

But, just in case, I keep my entire system backed up on an external drive safely stashed in the hall closet.

With a deadbolt on the door .......Sorry, couldn't resist!

Agree 100%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In twenty five years I've had hacker problems just once, and it was cured by changing my hotmail password. But, just in case, I keep my entire system backed up on an external drive safely stashed in the hall closet.

How about all the stuff that you don't even know that is installed?

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

How about closing this thread now?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The OP's question is not being answered. Saying "it works for me" is not an answer. Neither is splitting hairs over UAC etc. There are Windows 10 forums elsewhere for questions like this.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

See it does matter, because the file path decision affects the file permissions which in turn can determine whether a person wants to leave UAC on or turn it off. Knowing this, people can continue to click on this thread or not. No one is being disrespectful or going off topic and the OP's concerns ARE being addressed.

How about all the stuff that you don't even know that is installed?

Ah, but I keep abreast of what is on my computer. I may not know what each item does but I know whether it is "normal" to my system; I pay strict attention to startup processes, normally running processes, and internet activity. Windows folders are monitored for changes. I run the firewall on its most aggressive settings, nothing makes contact without my explicit permission (so I have no Steam games, nor any newer EA/Origin or UbiSoft games); after my antivirus updates I must even reaffirm its permissions ("...blahblah binaries have changed. Allow connections?").

Computer security is more a matter of common sense than of security software/processes that can all too often be irritatingly intrusive to the normal operation of the computer.

Ah, but I keep abreast of what is on my computer. I may not know what each item does but I know whether it is "normal" to my system; I pay strict attention to startup processes, normally running processes, and internet activity. Windows folders are monitored for changes. I run the firewall on its most aggressive settings, nothing makes contact without my explicit permission (so I have no Steam games, nor any newer EA/Origin or UbiSoft games); after my antivirus updates I must even reaffirm its permissions ("...blahblah binaries have changed. Allow connections?").

Computer security is more a matter of common sense than of security software/processes that can all too often be irritatingly intrusive to the normal operation of the computer.

You spend all that time and energy and UAC would do that all for you automatically.

Has the OP fixed his issue?

Last seen over at AVSIM weeks ago asking the same question, I advised him to post in their Windows 10 forum and haven't seen him since.

You spend all that time and energy and UAC would do that all for you automatically.

What time and energy? I just know my system; takes five seconds to scan processes in Task Manager (which starts with windows); other software monitors the C drive (which contains only the OS), firewall blocks any errant attempts to go online. I spend more time looking at program grids to see what is on TV.

UAC was a constant irritant, couldn't perform the simplest of computer tasks without dealing with popup prompt windows, and I will not have any OS telling me I do not have access to, or permission to do, something on my own computer. Also, without UAC programs are "run as administrator" by default, so that is never an issue.

So stay with Windows 7?

For now, unless you're an expert at getting obsolete software to run on current Operating Systems. Windows 8 and 10 are intended for mobile devices and their Apps, not desktops and laptops and Flight Simulator. If someone else wants to plug their yoke and pedals into their smartphone, good luck to them but they'd be better off sticking to a dedicated PC Operating System like Windows 7 or earlier - until the Abandonware boys create a Windows XP emulator for Windows 10 of course...

tiger1962.. you do know that you can run prorams in XP emulation in Windows 10?

jgf.. yes we all know that Windows 8 & 8.1 was a bit of a dog, just like Vista. But, repacing the start button with any of the free alternatives made it work better. & yes, you CAN run Windows stuff on an Apple!

Windows 10 intended for mobile devices?? You must be talking about phones such as Nokia that have Mobile Windows 8.1. Otherwise, IMHO, utter twaddle!

I agree that UAC is just a irritating nag. I have enough people trying to tell me what to do, I certainly do not need a box nagging as well.

So, with a well working Windows 10, with no sim issues, what are the actual issues that are being complained about?

As far as obsolete software goes, it is not expected that obsolete software should run on modern software. Duh! It is optimised for the OS's of the time!

Anyhow, I'm off to fly FS9, on my laptop that has a mobile optimised operating system, (well, can a laptop be considered a mobile device?) according to tiger1962. & runs better & faster than my old Windows 7

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Win XP and FS2004.

There are plenty of people now that run faster than me now ...... but does that make them "better"? Well, maybe some of them, but that's not the point. Simply "faster" doesn't isn't good enough reason to shell out more $$$ and run into countless more compatibility issues when your "current" operating system is running along just fine.

I chuckle at the "debate" over UAC and security .... WHAT's a UAC? Windows XP, "we don't need no stink'n UAC". With the proper security measures, older systems are no more targets for hackers then Windows 10. Hey, hasn't the Pentagon been hacked?

Bottom line .... I'm retired now, so have all the time in the world to watch my ancient system boot up ... reliably of course .... and fly FS2004 to my heart's content ..... reliably of course.

Tweak on, fast and "modern" world!

.... and we thank you for your support

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

tiger1962.. you do know that you can run prorams in XP emulation in Windows 10?

You can run XP programs in Win7 too, but not 3D games like Flight Simulator.

Anyhow, I'm off to fly FS9, on my laptop that has a mobile optimised operating system, (well, can a laptop be considered a mobile device?) according to tiger1962. & runs better & faster than my old Windows 7

I think it's fair to say that with all your years of FS experience, you're an IT expert compared to the average user - and that includes me! The average (non-techie) user such as the OP here is just frustrated by software which used to run on an outdated OS, but won't run on the supposedly new and improved OS. That's why I advised anyone who isn't IT experienced to avoid Win10 and stick to Win7 or XP.

Has the OP fixed his issue?

RJ

Based on a PM I got off him regarding another issue, he has got up and 'flyin' on W10.

WRT the overall debate regarding going with W10 - Yes, it can have its problems. However, as always happens, the problems get identified and fixes found. There is plenty of info out there regarding W10/FS problems and, as can be seen by reading such threads on this site and others, many user have got FS2004 running satisfactorily and, in some cases, better. IMHO many of problems encountered are minor, indeed, many of them, with a little pre-install planning, can be avoided.

This is not new to W10 nor to the various versions/types of FS products available. It has happened with W7 and W8 and then, as now, fixes were found and many simmers now run their chosen version of FS happily on these OSs. In fact, such problems could be encountered when updating from say W98 to XP or Vista.

Of course, what OS a person uses is their decision, based on their own needs weighed against their experience of the current installed OS and any perceived/actual benefits of upgrading.

FTR, over the years I have run FS2004 on W98/XP/W7 and FSX on XP/W7/W8 and now W10.

Regards

Brian

... yes we all know that Windows 8 & 8.1 was a bit of a dog

"Well, EXXCUUUSE me!"

you CAN run Windows stuff on an Apple!...

You CAN run SOME windows stuff on an Apple. You can also run some windows stuff on Linux. But in neither case is it merely install and play, and it often requires the expertise of a hacker and the patience of Job just to get the windows software running, much less reliably.

WRT the overall debate regarding going with W10 - Yes, it can have its problems. However, as always happens, the problems get identified and fixes found. There is plenty of info out there regarding W10/FS problems and, as can be seen by reading such threads on this site and others, many user have got FS2004 running satisfactorily and, in some cases, better.

Win 10 is not like any other previous OS upgrade. It carries far more compatibility limitations for older software than any other operating system before it. Yes, FS2004 base sim works as does I imagine most freeware but there are also many addons that don't. For some applications there will be workarounds, for some there will not. This community is becoming smaller so there are less people spending time finding workarounds. Solutions to problems may come slowly or not at all.

I'm not speaking without having tried it. I installed Win 10 and run a great deal of software that is not current. There were so many programs that would not run or had issues it became clear Win 10 will be the first OS to stop enough programs working for me that I will need to stay with an older OS.

The people it is working for simply are running software that works on it. On the broader perspective, it is limiting. MS have really tried to see with Win 10 how far they can go. They may very well need to pull back a little after Win 10 and I'm hoping a Win 11 or even a Win 12 may demonstrate this. If not, myself personally, I'll be running more than one OS for all my needs in the future.

Mark Daniels

You can run XP programs in Win7 too, but not 3D games like Flight Simulator.

I think it's fair to say that with all your years of FS experience, you're an IT expert compared to the average user - and that includes me! The average (non-techie) user such as the OP here is just frustrated by software which used to run on an outdated OS, but won't run on the supposedly new and improved OS. That's why I advised anyone who isn't IT experienced to avoid Win10 and stick to Win7 or XP.

Morning. I'm a bit confused when you say that a '3D games like Flight Simulator in not going to run. My sim ran in XP, my FS9's & P3D all run in Windows 10 as well.

Anyhow, I'm certainly not an IT expert compared to the average user. I just tried to find out what the solutions are/were for any problems I came across. Google IS my friend.

You do not have to be an expert to install Windows 10 & to get the sims to work.

All I did was to download the Windows Media Creation Tool from http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

I then ran it on both my Windows 7 & my Windows 8.1 laptops.

My Windows 7 laptop is my simming laptop, with P3D & 3 versions of FS2004.

After running that download, all I had to do was to manually update my (onboard) graphics driver. That's all!

No need to be an expert to do that.

I upgraded with the Media Creation Tool, as upgrading from that nagging icon in the bottom right corner did not work, & I used the Windows 10 roll back to previous operating system to go back to Windows 7. Do NOT RESTORE if you have a problem, but do a ROLL BACK. This worked perfectly for me, without any losses at all.

Tho only thing I lost was my webcam, but that is understandable, as my laptop is a 'house-brand' with a generic webcam, where the drivers were last updated in 2007. I never used the webcam anyway, so, no loss.

Cheers,

Robin

(enthusiast, not IT expert)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I'm a bit confused when you say that a '3D games like Flight Simulator in not going to run.

Hi Robin, it's the Windows XP Virtual Machine for Win7 that won't run 3D games, video acceleration is not supported in VM. No matter, at last we have detailed instructions on how to install and run FS2004 on Windows 10 as requested by the OP. Thank you!

Archived