UPGRADE to Windows 10 problem

michaeljulian

BTW, FS2004 runs just fine under Win 10.

Then all these posts from people having problems are just something they are making up? It may work on your system, but given the huge numbers of problem posts there has to be issues.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JSkorna. I already have that installed. I then went through your recommendations to the letter but no change.

I have switched to Windows 10 but FS9 will only part load. When I click on the icon I get a message to ask if I want the following programme to make changes to my computer and the file in question is FS9.exe. If I say "yes" the splash screen appears and after a while the screen goes black with an enlarged waiting circle. This is followed shortly by an enlarged white cursor arrow. The screen is effectively frozen but on using Ctrl-Alt-Del I get a very brief flash of the Create Flight/Select Flight screen but in very large font and then back to the cursor arrow. If I say "no" the screen goes black and an icon appears on the bottom task bar but on clicking it I am told FS9 is already running. I have the FS9 update file and am using the non-4 disk route. Can anybody help? A chat with Microsoft said that they do not support FS9 anymore and I can do what I like with it. But what? I have deleted the FS9.cfg file several times before starting and confirm that each time it creates a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I very much recommend Windows 10!!

I upgraded my Windows 7 laptop (i5, 4GB ram), with 3x versions of FS2004 & P3D on it. All I had to do was to update my graphics drivers. Everything, including ALL my add-ons work perfectly. I seems to load a bit faster as well. I have most of the sims installed in their default directories, with another FS2004 installed in the C:\ root folder just to see if it makes any difference.

I have my UAC turned right down as it is pretty much useless with it's nagging.

So, maybe run in admin mode?

Try running in windows mode as well (alt-enter) - this just might be the answer!

What I have done is to put a backup of a plain vanilla FS2004 install onto a portable drive.

What I then do is to copy that to my PC's drive (C:\, for example) then rename the folder to FS91, for example. Also rename the fs9.exe to fs91.exe. Then use the Flight1 registry tool to find the new exe.

The above can let you have multiple installs. (I have 3x)

Just an idea that might work.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• 2 weeks later...

jskorna

I have followed your advice to the letter and still it does not work properly so clearly I am doing something wrong, The install path for FS9 is:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/ Flight Simulator

I have installed and uninstalled FS9 five times now and continually come up with the same problem, I have followed your advice on how to install but still a problem. One thing I have noticed is that the icon on the desktop has a yellow and blue marker attached which I have not seen before. Also, in the past I was not asked to accept the FS9.exe file each time. Shall I install again, wiping everything with FS on it from the computer first?

Yes, uninstall.

The Yellow and Blue symbol means to Run As Administrator.

This time install to C:\FS 2004 Do not accept the default install path. Yes FS allows you to change this.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I've had a similar problem with the last Win10 update and FS2002 (Now, be kind..).

Prior to this update this was a VERY stable install (longest flight was pushing 12 hours and the sim didn't crash- I did). Since this last update its the same kind of problem- FS loads to the point of showing the 2 D panel view of my start-up saved default flight then kicks out to a black screen with shut down messages. I've tried all the compatability modes with no luck.

One thing I'm considering, this last update just didn't feel right. It was like my 'puter had a hard crash during the install vs a normal re-start. So, I'm wondering if this update went as smoothly as it said it did? By the MS diags, it says the update is fine. But I'm very tempted to un-install this last update and take my chances again at the end of July when the next update comes out. :confused:

FWIW, FS2002 doesn't have the same challenges as FS2004 (no CD needed) but it is older. Still, it seems odd to allow it to install and run just fine then get gorked during a random update. Some rumors say DX12 is getting tweeked this month, so I'm wondering if this was just a bad update or a taste of MS cracking down on their old software that I paid for?

OK, this was odd. :confused:

I was going to call it a night after that last post, but I took one more shot at trying to start FS2002 after deleting the FS2002.cfg file...and it started!! :D

Well, it started in 640X480 mode at the main start screen but I could reload my start-up flight and everything was working. I think I'm going to leave it alone until tomorrow then slowly reset my display options to see how far it can go and stay stable.

Maybe it was all those crash reports giving the MS techs gray hair? :rolleyes:

Maybe it *was* a goofy update that corrected itself?

Either way, things look sunny again- at least until the end of the month when the next update shows up.. :eek:

Windows 10, I'm trying to like you. I really am!

I very much recommend Windows 10!!....

Glad you're enjoying it. But its known issues with privacy plus lack of user control over many facets, especially updating, will keep it from my home.

This time install to C:\FS 2004 Do not accept the default install path.

Jim, I'm curious. What difference does it make installing FS "direct" to the HD vs using the "X86" install format for older software? I'm not saying its wrong, just wondering what you get as a result?

You and add-ons get Full user permissions to the FS folder without having to make any Windows changes.

Ah. OK, I see what you get out of it. :D Its a very tempting idea.

My problem is that my last OS was Vista (Now, be nice..) and I got used to working in compatibility mode with hidden folders and permissions. Its a lot like trying to find the real install location of the old FSD T38 freeware Talon. :rolleyes: Things are over-complicated for no good reason besides having control.

One thing I'm now wondering, what if I did a re-install to the "program files" vs the "(X86) program files" location instead of going direct to the C/: directory?

I've had issues with FS2002 in Win 10 where, for example, I repaint some BMPs for either an aircraft or a panel and save them only to have Win10 (64 bit) either revert to the old BMPs or not allow the repaint in FS. :rolleyes:

In the older days, I would have thought I was cracking up but Win10 can be a bit of a nanny at times.

Or install to the X86 folder as normal & turn the UAC settings right down. Maybe run the FS exe as admin as well. Problem solved for me. I have FS installs in both the X86 folder as well as the C:\ folder with never an issue at all.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Well, for the time being I think I'm going to leave things alone. :eek:

I've been dashed into the rocks by Windows and DirectX many times over the past 20 years, but this last Win10 update has been healing itself quiet nicely over the last two days. :eek:

In FS2002, I'm noticing some nice changes in terms of textures and over-all smoothness. To the point its getting scary!

Case in point- I basically have my aircraft textures maxxed out and am running at the highest display option for 1080p. CPU is a core i3, NO gpu. :eek: At least, no gpu yet.

I just tried out an HJG 707 (actually, a KC-135) for FS2004. No texture issues. No stutters or laggy frame rate. Keep in mind I'm running it in FS2002 where it *always* had issues because of the differences in how FS2002 and FS9 uses DirectX and which versions of DX are allowed. This plane still had its issues last week with funky texture effects on the engine fans and laggy frame rates. Now, not so much. :eek: In fact, its pretty darned smooth. :cool:

BTW, I'm running the FS2002 basic version under Win 10's XP SVC Pack 3 compatibility mode, admin mode turned on. Something has definitely changed over the weekend and it hasn't been my settings. :cool: Thursday and Friday weren't so good but now I think I'm going to log some hours in the pattern. :D

So, who knows? Maybe MS is starting to pay attention to us? :eek:

Or install to the X86 folder as normal & turn the UAC settings right down. Maybe run the FS exe as admin as well. Problem solved for me. I have FS installs in both the X86 folder as well as the C:\ folder with never an issue at all.

So, who knows? Maybe MS is starting to pay attention to us? :eek:

They've recently paid $10,000 compensation to one of their Business users who lost $17,000 because Windows 10 auto-installed itself on her office PC which had incompatible business software.

The company I work for here in the UK, a US-based global technology corporation, only upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows XP when MS stopped supporting it.

It's good to know that Windows 10 software compatibility is improving though, by whatever means, and great news that FS2002 is running better now.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There's that plus I also heard over the weekend that sales of new pre-built desktop PCs are starting to recover. :cool: Not the $5,000-everything's-overclocked-water-cooled-crossfire-LEDS-everywhere boutique builds, the good old rank-and-file desktop PCs that people expect to run for more than 3 months. :D

I really didn't like the attitude that I had to buy what MS dictated. It wasn't based on my needs -it was based on theirs.

In the case of flight sim, I paid my money and honored their EULA. In return, I expect them to actually support the stuff that carries their logo. Lately, its been as if I owned a book I enjoy reading but I'm expected to happily burn it because the publisher stopped printing new copies. :confused:

Anyway, enough of the soap box. Hopefully things are turning around and we won't have to deal with plugging a yoke and pedals into a smart phone. :D

They've recently paid $10,000 compensation to one of their Business users who lost $17,000 because Windows 10 auto-installed itself on her office PC which had incompatible business software.

The company I work for here in the UK, a US-based global technology corporation, only upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows XP when MS stopped supporting it.

It's good to know that Windows 10 software compatibility is improving though, by whatever means, and great news that FS2002 is running better now.

I really didn't like the attitude that I had to buy what MS dictated. It wasn't based on my needs -it was based on theirs....

That's been MS for at least twenty five years. They create what they want with a "take it or leave it" attitude towards the end user; and each new iteration of windows has given that end user fewer and fewer options. I think their ultimate goal is a "one-size-fits-all", off-the-shelf OS where we may retain the option of what wallpaper to use.

How many of us would have migrated to Linux exclusively ages ago if it could reliably run windows games?

JSkorna, Thanks for your advice but still no luck but herewith some questions. I am not very computer literate as you will have noticed.

I have stripped all FS items from the computer and loaded FS9 again for the 6th time using my disks. I have placed it in C:\FS9. When I install the FS9.1 patch does it install itself automatically? 2. I have removed the FS9.cfg and allowed the programme to generate a new one.3. I have loaded the no-cd patch BUT do I simply paste that file into the existing FS9.exe folder r do I remove the old one first? Do I have to delete any Windows updates? Where do I find them?

Finally, the icon has a blue and yellow circle on it and ever time I click on the icon up comes a notice asking me to approve the FS9.exe file. When loaded everything looks OK but the "S" key works with the panel remaining permanently in front of it and a glimpse of the appropriate scenery at the very top. I am going to do one more uninstall and install and then wait and see if anybody else has come across these exact problems. You have been very helpful and I am sure it must be something I am doing wrong somewhere.

Here goes...

1. Install FS2004

2. Run it

3. Install the FS2004 update

4. Run it

5. Copy the FS9.1 version of the NOCD FS9.exe into you Fs2004 directory

6. When it asks you to overwrite, YES

7. Take out CD #4

8. Run it

9. No need to delete any updates at all!!

The following works for me, & about 30-40 others at my virtual club.

Some will not like it, but, for me, it works.

I installed FS2004 into it's default directory

I turned the UAC slider right down

I right clicked in the FS9.exe (the nocd one that I pasted) & ran as admin.

For me, this works, & has when I was running Windows 7 & now it works perfectly with my Windows 10.

I also have a 'Golden Wings' version of FS9 as well as a 'Ford Tri-Motor' version that works perfectly. Also P3D in it's default directory.

One of these FS2004 installs was installed on my C:\ drive (C:\Flight Sim 9) just to see if there was any functional differences by having the sim in it's default directory, on in a so-called 'recommended' directory.

No differences or issues were found.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Michael;

Un-installing and re-installing FS9 multiple times hasn't gotten you very far, right? :)

My advice- re-install FS plus the patch and the other stuff. Then be patient. I wrote earlier that my system was healing itself nicely after a funky update. 'Healing' may have been the wrong word. When FS crashes on you, do you get a dialog box saying that Windows is checking for a solution? That doesn't mean someone in Washington state is getting an e-mail. Its an automated process where your computer generates an error report that gets checked against a data base of similar errors. Once the data base finds a solution it messages your computer on how to fix the error.

By un-installing and re-installing you're just digging the hole deeper. If the program's gone there's no need to fix anything, so the solution just goes "poof".

Be a little more patient. Do the re-install. Let it generate error messages. Resist the temptation to get FS running RIGHT NOW by making wholesale config and compatibility changes, all you're doing is shooting in the dark. Let Windows make the changes, instead. :) It just takes more time.

Let it stew a bit, two to three days after Windows says its checking for a solution. When I did my FS install on my new machine, it wouldn't recognize the first CD. I gave it a day and tried again, there was no problem and I did a full install. Then, FS wouldn't launch the full program. I made gradual changes in compatibility mode until I found a stable version. That took a couple of days. It still wasn't optimal but I stayed patient. Then I got hammered with the last Win10 update but I stayed cool. I let the system fix itself based on its generated error reports. :)

Archived