Why FSX is still so good?

gmattiol

Hello everyone. I'm a student journalist based in NYC and a big fan of FSX. I played for at least 10 years now and I realized I want to do a feature story on it. I want to tell how great this program is, how beautiful it can get. tell the story of the people who continue developing it while Microsoft abandoned the project.

If anyone wants to share thoughts or tell me their story on FSX I'd be more than happy to listen.

My email is guglielmo.mattioli@journalism.cuny.edu

Thanks for your help

Cheers

GM

there's 374 (currently) answers to your search in the "sticky" at the top of the page: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248567-How-do-you-keep-FSX-interesting

WE, the players, the developers, the painters and the screen-shot artists make it so. So say we all.

Personally, I've flown every version since FS4 and each has gotten better. My FSX logbook had more than 11000 hours when I moved over to P3D and I still fly it occasionally.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

The Aces team at Microsoft made some mistakes but they also did a lot of things right:

They designed FSX so that it gets better as computers became more powerful.

They built FSX, not as a fixed-in-time application, but as a platform for developers to add on to. So much of FSX is data-driven, and much functionality can be extended or replaced.

They created an SDK that for the most part does not lock developers into a specific tool set. For example you can use free or payware 3D modeling tools, including current versions of Blender or 3dsmax, Visual Studio, modern GIS tools for scenery, current versions of Photoshop or GIMP etc. Development techniques continue to evolve along with the tools.

Finally the cleverness of devs cannot be overstated: A lot of reverse engineering, decoding file formats and other insights have allowed devs to take FSX well beyond some of its apparent limitations.

FSX is still the most popular flight sim around 10 years after its 2006 release for the simple reason it's a hard act to follow or improve upon, so no doubt the developers felt they could develop it no further and retired as millionnaires to their luxury tropical island villas to sip champagne on the balcony for the rest of their lives..:)

Guest Robert455

But seriously, I think it was very shortsighted of Microsoft to sell off their flight sim group. That was a gold mine that guaranteed millions of sales with every release.

They probably can't be faulted for not foreseeing what VR would enable, but flight simulation is about to be really unleashed.

Of course. It’s the greatest PC simulation that hit the market, I remember my firs FS in 1980 B/W flying every airports in Illinois, then all the newest versions up-date till now, no mentioned buying a new computer every time a new FS upgrades, my first computer (IBM) with flop/Disk cost me $4000, but the joy of simulate flying is priceless ( cheaper than the real thing) $400 minimum for Ground school), and the true about FS, is that , I “never” had flight the entire “World” jet and I use my fsx almost every week. to bad that Micro Soft did a terrible mistake to lay off the Program.

But seriously, I think it was very shortsighted of Microsoft to sell off their flight sim group. That was a gold mine that guaranteed millions of sales with every release.

They made a business decision based on projections that console games (their Xbox line) would yield greater profits, bigger return on investment, less support costs, etc. I think it's a stretch to say it was "shortsighted" when you acknowledge that a big corporation like Microsoft has the primary goal to make as much profit as possible, as fast as possible.

They made a business decision based on projections that console games (their Xbox line) would yield greater profits, bigger return on investment, less support costs, etc. I think it's a stretch to say it was "shortsighted" when you acknowledge that a big corporation like Microsoft has the primary goal to make as much profit as possible, as fast as possible.

The fact that it was a "business decision" doesn't change the fact that it was shortsighted. Microsoft replaced FSX with Flight, which was a complete market failure.

Incidentally, if Microsoft had stuck with FSX, I don't really see what they could they have done to improve it.

I've been gaming/simming for over 30 years and the market has got plenty of examples of companies that tried to improve one of their popular games but ended up making a hash of it and it turned out worse than the original!

For the record, FSX was released in 3 editions in 2006 and 2007-

Standard

Deluxe (has a few extras)

Gold (same as Deluxe but also includes the Acceleration Pack)

and then in 2014 Steam Edition (FSX:SE) was released and is selling well.

(SE is basically the same as Gold, but according to Dovetail Games who market it, "FSX:SE has a few tweaks that may improve performance for some users" and they also made it multiplayer via Steam)

BTW- Although Flightsim.com caters for several different flight sims, if you glance at the forum 'Viewing' figures you'll see that the FSX forum always has more people in it than any other sim which speaks volumes for its popularity, here's a typical screenshot-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-popular2_zpswrxecirz.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-popular1_zpsrzpsmqr6.jpg~original

Never thought I'd see good and FSuX in the same sentence. I always thought it was a joke....until PweeD came out. An avatar? Oh dear. With all the problems it's a total disaster. Sinking faster the.pn the titanic. Maybe LM should've stuck to making a boat simulator. :D

Depends how you look at it. I've seen some polls in some BIG virtual airlines. Fs9 is far and away the most poplar choice.

No sim will run as smooth and as hassle free as fs9. Hence why the views are so small. We are too busy flying rather then worrying about Ctd's, oom's, VAS, HT on of off, complex Cfg tricks etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

I had FS9 for ages (hey noobs it's also called FS2004) and loved it to bits, but then I tried the FSX demo and was hooked because it has just that little bit more polish than FS9, so I bought FSX and its run fine on several computers over the years since then (including a laptop) under Win XP, Win 7 and Win 8.1.

I'm the biggest PC dummy around so if I can make it go, anybody can..:)

Tip- don't overload FSX with too many fancy addons or it might throw a tantrum; I've only added a strip of photoscenery and a bunch of addon planes in all the 8 years I've had it because it's beautiful enough straight out of the box.

I mean, if you start dating a beautiful woman, you wouldn't want to pressure her too early into wearing a Wonder Woman outfit for you or she'd slap your kisser for thinking she needs to be "improved". (I speak from experience).

So at least get to know her for a while before suggesting it..:)

Incidentally, if Microsoft had stuck with FSX, I don't really see what they could they have done to improve it.

I've been gaming/simming for over 30 years and the market has got plenty of examples of companies that tried to improve one of their popular games but ended up making a hash of it and it turned out worse than the original!

BTW- Although Flightsim.com caters for several different flight sims, if you glance at the forum 'Viewing' figures you'll see that the FSX forum always has more people in it than any other sim which speaks volumes for its popularity, here's a typical screenshot

For starters, ACES was working on improving multi-core use when they were dropped. Other upgrades would have likely included full support for DX10 and later, perhaps a 64 bit version, better VAS handling and probably better handling of photoreal scenery, among others. FSX certainly is a good platform, but computers have come a long way in 10 years, and there is plenty more that could be done.

As for popularity, one needs to remember that this site has always had more of a bias towards the MS series of sims. So while FSX probably is the most popular sim currently, those running X-Plane and P3D tend to use forums elsewhere, which will skew the results further.

Never thought I'd see good and FSuX in the same sentence. I always thought it was a joke....until PweeD came out. An avatar? Oh dear. With all the problems it's a total disaster. Sinking faster the.pn the titanic. Maybe LM should've stuck to making a boat simulator. :D

Depends how you look at it. I've seen some polls in some BIG virtual airlines. Fs9 is far and away the most poplar choice.

No sim will run as smooth and as hassle free as fs9. Hence why the views are so small. We are too busy flying rather then worrying about Ctd's, oom's, VAS, HT on of off, complex Cfg tricks etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

And so it begins.... The age old "FSX stinks compared to FS9" argument.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I've tried all the other major flight sims out there (except P3D) and in my opinion FSX beats them hands down; I won't go into details or it could start a war!

I might try P3D one day but I gather it's more for hardcore aviation professionals rather than "fun" flyers like me, and its price reflects that, 199 dollars for a 'Pro Licence' version and 59 dollars for an 'Academic Licence' version hoo boy..;)

Hey there, thank you all for the replies.

As someone might notice I'm new to the forum and couldn't find them!

Did someone ever partitioned a mac and install windows on it just to be able to fly on FSX?

Because I did, and I always wondered if I was the only one.

What do you think is the best part of FSX? I always loved the fact I could recognize the mountains and the places of north Italy where I originally come from.

Cheers

GM

...What do you think is the best part of FSX?..

It allows us to do what mankind has dreamed of doing for centuries, namely going into the wide blue yonder while sitting in our armchair without having to go to the trouble of sprouting feathers or forking out for a pilots licence..:)

PS- And of course we flight simmers can sit with a smug grin on our face when we watch airline movies, knowing that in an emergency we could take over the controls of a real airliner in an emergency like this-

Stewardess at 30,000 feet- "HELP! The pilots are unconscious, can anybody here land this plane?"

(Shocked silence)

Flight simmer- "Well yes miss, I've flown babies like this a thousand times in flight simulators"

Stewardess- "Oh thank god sir, this way to the cockpit, your aircraft!"

Clapping passengers- "Whoop, holler, yeehaw!"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/Austrian_Airlines_flight_attendant_and_passenger_zpskselkbqn.jpg~original

It allows us to do what mankind has dreamed of doing for centuries, namely going into the wide blue yonder while sitting in our armchair without having to go to the trouble of sprouting feathers or forking out for a pilots licence..:)

PS- And of course we flight simmers can sit with a smug grin on our face when we watch airline movies, knowing that in an emergency we could take over the controls of a real airliner in an emergency like this-

Stewardess at 30,000 feet- "HELP! The pilots are unconscious, can anybody here land this plane?"

(Shocked silence)

Flight simmer- "Well yes miss, I've flown babies like this a thousand times in flight simulators"

Stewardess- "Oh thank god sir, this way to the cockpit, your aircraft!"

Clapping passengers- "Whoop, holler, yeehaw!"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/Austrian_Airlines_flight_attendant_and_passenger_zpskselkbqn.jpg~original

Hey Scatterbrain!! I've long known the British were known for their known dry sense of humor. But WOW!!! That reply is so over the top I have to wonder, are your meds stronger than mine??;):cool::rolleyes:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hey Scatterbrain!! I've long known the British were known for their known dry sense of humor. But WOW!!! That reply is so over the top I have to wonder, are your meds stronger than mine??;):cool::rolleyes:

Nah, just a constant sugar high! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I regularly show the kids on my block how in a fun way FSX is a excellent geographic, compass /map learning tool.

Yes, and if we've got Photoscenery installed we can also do a spot of "aerial archaeology" such as here 8 miles east of Swindon (England).

1- Dragon Hill where St. George slew the dragon, note how its blood burnt the grass off the top and where it trickled down the sides.

2- Uffington Horse carved into the chalk around 1000 years BC.

3- Uffington Castle from the same period; the word "castle" in this sense means a hilltop encampment of wooden houses and buildings surrounded by a defensive ditch/earthwork and wooden wall, of which only the ditch/earthwork remains-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Sthn-engl2_zpstfaajxhc.jpg~original

HEY NEWCOMERS- check out this sensational thread for all sorts of juicy things you can do with FSX-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248567-How-do-you-keep-FSX-interesting

Archived