Freeware planes that rock! -1 of 2-

These two I just downloaded and tried in FSX Gold / SE working fine. Also stock FS9 adapted by David Grindele for FSX, great payware grade models of historically significant aircraft that are an absolute pleasure to fly.

First, The de Havilland Comet.

Download link https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=45677223

The de Havilland DH.88 Comet is a twin-engined British aircraft designed for the 1934 MacRobertson Air Race. Three examples took part in the race and one of them won. The type set many aviation records during and afterwards some were used as mail planes.

Click on the images to enlarge:

Comet 1.jpg

Comet 2.jpg

Comet Panel.jpg

Comet VC.jpg

And,The Curtiss Jenny

Download link https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=45677279

The Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny" was one of a series of "JN" biplanes built by the Curtiss Aeroplane Company of Hammondsport, New York, later the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company. Although the Curtiss JN series was originally produced as a training aircraft for the U.S. Army, the "Jenny" (the common nickname derived from "JN-4", with an open-topped four appearing as a Y) continued after World War I as a civil aircraft, as it became the "backbone of American postwar [civil] aviation." Thousands of surplus Jennys were sold at bargain prices to private owners in the years after the war and became central to the barnstorming era that helped awaken America to civil aviation through much of the 1920s.

Click on the images to enlarge:

Jenny 1.jpg

Jenny 2.jpg

Jenny Panel.jpg

Jenny VC.jpg

Quotes from Wikipedia

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice captured!
AMD FX-8350 8 CORES 4.0/ovrclckd 5.0GHz, GIGABYTE GA 990FXA-UD7, RAM 32GB/2000MHz, GeFORCE GTX TITAN, 2xSSD 256GB, 2*HDD 2TB, 3x42" LCD, SAITEK PRO FLIGHT, MCP+EFIS PANEL, ANDROID TABLET FOR FMC AND EFB, WIN8-64BIT, FS9

Very nice F-8! The Last of the Gunfighters, they called them :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Peter: Thanks for the compliment

Gene: awesome shot of the crusader!

Jan: lovely roll of beauties in that post of yours.

I'm currently away from home with only a 7" tablet, not nice for this site. Hope to be back sometimes to resume bugging you all with my love of old planes :-) I miss you all and miss my FSX too! best wishes.

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My all time favorite, in a new, updated version and shiny new paint job:

ScreenHunter_178 Mar. 07 12.58_A.jpg

I have never had the pleasure of flying a better plane, to date.

According to some real-life Hornet drivers that are part of the FSX Blue Angels, this is THE most realistic F/A-18C they have ever flown. I think they would know :)

And they're still improving it!

Not a better, more realistic, Hornet, bar none, free- or pay-ware, available from anywhere.

Sorry. I just love this bird!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

My all time favorite, in a new, updated version and shiny new paint job:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188463[/ATTACH]

I have never had the pleasure of flying a better plane, to date.

According to some real-life Hornet drivers that are part of the FSX Blue Angels, this is THE most realistic F/A-18C they have ever flown. I think they would know :)

And they're still improving it!

Not a better, more realistic, Hornet, bar none, free- or pay-ware, available from anywhere.

Sorry. I just love this bird!

Pat☺

Pat lovely picture of a real beauty. Your praise of this model makes me drool, may I request a link please?

Thx

Khalid

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Folks,

One of my favorites that I spent a great deal of time with... Of course you need a properly configured panel as well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/FS9/USAIR/enb2010_11_6_2_37_7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/FS9/USAIR/enb2010_11_6_2_38_2.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Mr. Khalid, the plane may be downloaded from THIS POST in the FSDreamTeam Forums. It is an autoinstaller, and will let you choose the variety of plane load-out you want to install. Like the A-A load, the A-G, Training (my favorite), the Blue Angels, and so on. It will also install the C++ library you need automatically. Make certain to point it at the right FSX you want it in, if you have more than one copy running.

It is designed to have all the realism settings ON, and the Sensitivity settings on the controls full right, with the Null-Zone, except the rudder, full left. Leave a small null-zone on the rudder to prevent inadvertent inputs.

A few flying hints: The only time you need to use the trim is for cruise, and I almost invariably have a .2 Nose Down (ND) during cruise. It will automatically set the trim to 8.1° for landing (Powered Approach mode). Leave it there. DO NOT change the PA mode trim!

For take-off, whether off a land base or a carrier, make sure to press the little button in the middle of the Rudder Trim knob (left side panels, just abaft the throttles) before you roll, and only set Flaps 1.

Leave the Flaps switch in Auto, unless there is a system failure.

DO NOT use the rudders for normal maneuvers. This plane is what they call a "Feet On the Floor" type, ie: the rudder is automatically adjusted as necessary for turns by the FCS.

If landing on a carrier, make sure the Anti-Skid and Field/Carrier switches are set (left side slanted panel, near the gear lever), with Anti-Skid OFF, Field/Carrier switch in Carrier. That way, if you forget the Hook, the AOA indicator will flash. Shft+6 is a great carrier landing gauge, letting you know what wire you catch, fuel remaining, and so on. Be careful of the plane's Gross weight landing on the boat!

There is a great link explaining the UFC panel HERE. In fact that entire forum is packed with info on this bird. Feel free to post any questions, complaints, problems, whatever. Just register on the forums. It's free.

You might want to pick up the F/A-18 NATOPS manual. It is the bible the pilots fly by. It is very applicable to this bird, as realistic as it is. There is also a NATOPS just for hte Sim, but it's 99% about he cockpit, which is fine, but the Navy's real NATOPS has a lot more info about he bird in it. I can probably find the link to the real NATOPS if you want.

Hope all that helps a little.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kalizzi,

I love that Sexy B-47 over Edwards! I'm shocked more people don't show that plane!

May I ask what the link to that B-47 is?

Thanks in advance,

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I use FSRecorder to create the parked aircraft. You would record each aircraft one at a time, then play recordings.

If you have the patience, you can record a fleet of aircraft. Since the aircraft are not AI, FPS will suffer. Great for screenshots!

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/03/15/TTT.jpg

WOW! What a show! It reminds me RW of the crowd of parked planes at KSDF & KLOU on Kentucky Derby Day.

Guess what the big status thing the aircraft owners brag about. It's not about the size of their errr-uh airplanes. It's about who has the earliest IFR window scheduled to busy airports like KJFK just after the Derby is over!

Kalizzi,

I love that Sexy B-47 over Edwards! I'm shocked more people don't show that plane!

Thanks in advance,

Rupert

Duh! After a few moments Captain Obvious walked into the room and pronounced the magic words. "File Library." So I went there and got that B-47. I already had a good version of Edwards from ORBX. :cool:

Kalizzi,

Thanks in advance,

Rupert

Rupert I am away from home operating from a 7" tablet the link is on my large desktop, but I do recll its an ex alphasim model turned freeware, you can google it and download the full page from virtavia if I am not mistaken.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rupert I am away from home operating from a 7" tablet the link is on my large desktop, but I do recll its an ex alphasim model turned freeware, you can google it and download the full page from virtavia if I am not mistaken.

Thanks!

I just downloaded "fsx_b47_stratojet2_updated.zip" from this forum library. It looks very interesting so I'll try it out right now.

Archived