Installation error encountered while installing FSX on a HP250 running Win8.1 64bit

a.danhamidu

I've tried twice without success to install FSX in a recently factory-reset/refreshed HP250 laptop running Win8.1 64bit. Please see the attached screenshots for the error message encountered. I checked the surface of both installation DVDs and they seem ok (very minute scratches seen on disc-2...could this be the problem?).

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/e31179cba9219965d921dc5d1b9f7043.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/4ddcdb6639a8bd4c6e49e541e886de8e.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/a557f5a3223bb75aed0ea73f6fbc3967.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/e84ad3ee7804c58c5a8eb6b1185b5734.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Note, one of the links given there is to msicuu2.exe

this utility was for Windows XP. I don't think it will work on win7 or higher.

(If you can even still find it.)

The kb928080 does still work though.

It removes the old registry entries for fsx that are left over from a previous (attempted) install. So you can install again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And when you do reinstall, save yourself a lot of trouble by installing to something like C:\FSX, but NOT to C:\Program Files(x86).

Jorgen

But isn't FSX a 32bit app...won't I have issues installing it at the very root of C-drive?

Thanks for your response [emoji6]

Note, one of the links given there is to msicuu2.exe

this utility was for Windows XP. I don't think it will work on win7 or higher.

(If you can even still find it.)

The kb928080 does still work though.

It removes the old registry entries for fsx that are left over from a previous (attempted) install. So you can install again.

Do you know if Piriform's CCleaner is capable of cleaning the FSX installation licence leftover from the previous installation (before the factory reset I did threw the installation out)?

CCleaner will not be enough.

-------------

Do not install in C\Program Files (x86)

also not in: C:\Program Files

The program files folders are protected from changes by Windows, and will make installing addons very complex.

Put it in the root of a drive. Where you have control and are allowed to edit files.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CCleaner will not be enough.

-------------

Do not install in C\Program Files (x86)

also not in: C:\Program Files

The program files folders are protected from changes by Windows, and will make installing addons very complex.

Put it in the root of a drive. Where you have control and are allowed to edit files.

Now that you put it this way, "roger-that". Thanks.

Also, I think that you need "ADMIN" priveliges whereever you decide to install it.

Another thing a lot mention is turning the User Account Control "stuff" off before you start, along with any virus scanners.

Hope that may help a little bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

No don't turn off User Account Control. Installing other than 'C:\Program Files...' will take care of that. And you shouldn't have to disable your Anti Virus to install anything. (A 'Virus Scanner' is a different operation and THAT doesn't start itself - you have to start it and have it running minimized - which is a no-no on ANY install.).

If that HP LAPTOP was mine and I got those errors I would suspect maybe there is a problem with my BIOS. What I mean is that FSX is a 32 bit program and you may have to set your BIOS to run/be in 'Legacy' mode so it can handle FSX as it's a 32 bit program? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If that HP LAPTOP was mine and I got those errors I would suspect maybe there is a problem with my BIOS. What I mean is that FSX is a 32 bit program and you may have to set your BIOS to run/be in 'Legacy' mode so it can handle FSX as it's a 32 bit program? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chuck B

You don't need to do anything in the BIOS for a 32 bit program to run on 64 bit Windows. Legacy mode for older operating systems that don't have support for UEFI.

Maybe not to 'run' but to 'install' (ie: installer ver on HP 350 Laptop)? HP (and Dell) have 'propriatary' software that sometimes conflicts. Maybe I'm wrong. We shall see.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

No, the legacy BIOS setting won't affect any installer either. It will only have effect on the OS itself.

As for pre-installed software from Dell or HP conflicting with an installer, that is possible, but is not related to the BIOS setting. Anti-virus software in particular is a common source for interfering with installers, and so are some CD/DVD burning applications that have a helper running in the system tray.

And when you do reinstall, save yourself a lot of trouble by installing to something like C:\FSX, but NOT to C:\Program Files(x86).

Jorgen

Hello again, I just tried installing FSX via the Admin User Account, in the root of my hard drive (C:\) and Win8.1 refused the location. Do you think it would help/be possible if I created a folder at the root that I could install FSX in (C:\FSX\)? Thanks.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/12/f4f456a83f6b2aaf08970571046ae694.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/12/a9e30687e53b970b7da8b595827f7ea4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
You need to type C:\FSX NOT just C:\

NO, you do not need to create the folder ahead of time.

I installed FSX in:

C:\FSX

So far so good, I've had very few RAM-related crashes since (encouraging). I'm still treading carefully since its not a gaming laptop.

Just an FYI, FSX OOM (Out of Memory) errors are a VAS (Virtual Address Space) issue because of 32bit program limitations. See more here.

Long story short turn, your graphical/AI settings down and be aware of the issue when installing highly detailed addon aircraft and scenery.

And when you are done installing don't forget to restart your PC, then do a complete defrag of C: drive. During install files are put all over the place. So a defrag is a must if you want FSX to work smooth as possible.

Chuck B

Archived