DDS texture question.

Hello

I downloaded the free Cessna 152 by Just Flight.

In an attempt to speed up texture loading in spot view ,I used Convimx to convert textures to Dxt3(as I have done many times in the past with Fs9)

I noticed the original textures of this aircraft are in a format called DDS.

I suspected that I might have problems converting so made a copy of the originals, then decided to experiment ,and change these DDS textures to dxt3.

I ended up with a horrible looking mess of colour's so that didn't work.

My question is it possible to convert these DDS textures to something possibly more frame rate friendly.Obviously dxt3 does not work.

Cheers Andy

I think you may be chasing your tail on this endeavor. I have many FS9 aircraft with .bmp textures that load about the same as the FSX .dds textures. What is your setting for

this in your FSX.cfg?

[GRAPHICS]

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

I just tried that Cessna 152 and had no problems going from cockpit to outside Locked Spot view and seeing the aircraft textures fully rendered.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Andy,

Been a while since I've messed with this stuff - I've actually converted FSX DDS textures back into useable formats for FS9 - with the requisite flip of course... In FS9 some 32 bit BMP's did cause some lag for me such as the DA Piper Cheyenne... Converting them to DXT3 did seem to speed the loads up for me... I believe FSX uses DXT5 formats but as I said - been a while since I've messed with this stuff and I don't know if that will actually buy you anything...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

I think you may be chasing your tail on this endeavor. I have many FS9 aircraft with .bmp textures that load about the same as the FSX .dds textures. What is your setting for

this in your FSX.cfg?

[GRAPHICS]

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

I just tried that Cessna 152 and had no problems going from cockpit to outside Locked Spot view and seeing the aircraft textures fully rendered.

Hello Zip

This is what I have under

[GRAPHICS]

Shader_cache_primed=1693458434

Texture_Max_load=512

Should I try 1024?

Cheers

Andy

Yes! 1024 should be default for that setting.

I have just changed .

Will let you know what occurs.

Its rather strange that the ground textures are not lagging,just the aircraft.

Anyways!

Just to let you know that iam actually using the Sim ñow ,and really enjoying it.

I think what I well may do is forget about airliner flying on X .I have 9 nicely set up for that ,complete with a multitude of extremely useful third party gauges and of course FSNav etc etc,but for Fseconomy type GA flying I am going to stay with X.

It real!y is pretty impressive.

Cheers Andy

Hello Zip

1024 has made a difference.(I think I am sure :)),but just I case iam placeboing myself i need more flying just to confirm.

Thanks for the tip

And to all who chipped in on this topic.

Andy

Glad you got it going! Thanks again for the info on the free Cessna 152 from JustFlight.

Just for the record, "DXT3" format is still .DDS!

When saving any bitmap as .DDS type, you have a choice of selecting DTX1, DXT3, or DXT5 format. Most files in FSX are DXT5/DDS format.

Converting DXT5 to DXT3 is usually not a very good idea, especially if the original artist is using the Alpha channel for "shine" or "transparency". This is because DXT3's Alpha channel is "explicit" whereas the DXT5's Alpha channel is "interpolated" (meaning finer control of the gray shades used).

lq73E.png

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Just for the record, "DXT3" format is still .DDS!

When saving any bitmap as .DDS type, you have a choice of selecting DTX1, DXT3, or DXT5 format. Most files in FSX are DXT5/DDS format.

Converting DXT5 to DXT3 is usually not a very good idea, especially if the original artist is using the Alpha channel for "shine" or "transparency". This is because DXT3's Alpha channel is "explicit" whereas the DXT5's Alpha channel is "interpolated" (meaning finer control of the gray shades used).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]184446[/ATTACH]

Absolutely!

I ended up with horrible psychedelic looking mess.(the only way i can describe it)

Anyways! changing that texture setting from 512 to 1024 has not resulted In any improvement in texture reload going to spot.

On a positive note (and iam only into my second week with FSX)X is almost completely stutter free and smooth in flight.

Its better than 9 In that respect.

So swings /roundabouts.

But iam enjoying X

Third night in a row flying ,no ctds ,no error messages, no nothing except enjoyable flight.

Cheers

Andy

Absolutely!

I ended up with horrible psychedelic looking mess.(the only way i can describe it)

Anyways! changing that texture setting from 512 to 1024 has not resulted In any improvement in texture reload going to spot.

On a positive note (and iam only into my second week with FSX)X is almost completely stutter free and smooth in flight.

Its better than 9 In that respect.

So swings /roundabouts.

But iam enjoying X

Third night in a row flying ,no ctds ,no error messages, no nothing except enjoyable flight.

Cheers

Andy

Hang in there! It only gets better! Until of course you try something else. Then you start over again, then again, etc. That's what keeps your brain cells tuned up!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Heck, I see psychadelic messes all the time. All around me. ;) :cool: :eek:

Then again, I did do some acid in my younger years. Maybe that's the reason...

Bye-the-bye, Disny's movie, Fantasia, is an absolutely incredible experience when one is on acid. That demon...

NOT recommending the use of illegal substances in any way shape or form. Just stating a personal experience, is all...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Heck, I see psychadelic messes all the time. All around me. ;) :cool: :eek:

Then again, I did do some acid in my younger years. Maybe that's the reason...

Bye-the-bye, Disny's movie, Fantasia, is an absolutely incredible experience when one is on acid. That demon...

NOT recommending the use of illegal substances in any way shape or form. Just stating a personal experience, is all...

Pat☺

Ah Sir!

At a time many many years ago I also partook.

Looking back I wish most strongly I had not .

Still somewhat bonkers now ,as I approach old codgering.

Probably why iam a Sim fan.

Socks

Still crazy after all these years.

PS interesting you mention Fantasia someone tried to drag me along to see it after I had indulged in the bonkers juice.

For some reason I absolutely would not go.

Anyways happy with beer and a good Sim flight these days.

Ah Sir!

At a time many many years ago I also partook.

Looking back I wish most strongly I had not .

Still somewhat bonkers now ,as I approach old codgering.

Probably why iam a Sim fan.

Socks

Still crazy after all these years.

PS interesting you mention Fantasia someone tried to drag me along to see it after I had indulged in the bonkers juice.

For some reason I absolutely would not go.

Anyways happy with beer and a good Sim flight these days.

And obviously spending time here. Congratulations on 1,000+ posts!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

And obviously spending time here. Congratulations on 1,000+ posts!

Congratulations! You are now a Señor...uh sceneyour.....hmmm, wait, I'll get it! Senior Citizen......uh, Member.;) It's been one of those days!

Thanks Guys

Not only a real life codge,(well almost:D)

But an Fscom poster codge as well.

PS How did you know I was a 1000er ?

I have had no notification of this myself.

Cheers

Andy

Stardom at last!

I would just like to thank my family, Mum and Dad ,friends who stood by me in troubled times ,my dog ,cat , tortoise.........:D

Hey, congrats on 1k posts! Well done Senior, errrr...whatever Zippy said...

As to Fantasia, probably for the best you didn't go. I never had a bad trip myself, but I saw a couple of folks I know go totally freaked out in that movie. Not hard to do, some really wierd visuals, even without augmentation!

Here's to another thousand posts in fun and health to ya Sir!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

PS How did you know I was a 1000er ?

I have had no notification of this myself.

Cheers

Andy

Look up in the upper right corner of your posted post or have a bowl of Post Toasties!

Even better, have Mum make us some neggies and toasted soldiers! :p

Thanks Guys,

Thanks to this thread popping up, I yesterday opened a .DDS texture file.

I had noticed the wing of the FA-18 Omars Blue texture looked "off", it had a fron edge that was metallic. In flight when zoomed out it allmost fell away against the background making the wing look narrow and triangular. Like some different model altogether.

(The addon texture for the default FA-18 is: fa-18omarsblue.zip)

I decided to open F-18_WingR_T.dds and have a look. I opened it with DxtBmp, sent the Image to editor, I saw the part that was not coloured in, and edited in the colours. I saved the edited image, used "Reload after edit" in DxtBmp, and loaded up a flight in fsx.

That had worked! Wing looked much better.

I did another few rounds of editing, and also edited in the colours also finishing the camo pattern which had been broken off straight by the metallic part.

Right wing is done, Left wing we'll do later. Actually the right wing may need some work on the Alpha as well. Here's the result.

Left side view:

OmarBlueL-1.JPG

Right side view:

OmarBlueR-1.JPG

Top:

OmarBlueT-1.JPG

Bottom:

OmarBlueB-1.JPG

Somehow this thread triggered me to finally try this stuff again. Thanks guys and gals.

Apologies for barging in. Back to business.

Happy 1000th;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks.

I saved both as .bmp to desktop to have a look.

The wing part I painted is identical in both. And in the same place. So some kind of cut and paste should work.

I run into an issue.

The left wing texture contains a lot of parts (separate from the wings, possibly the spoiler) that aren't present on the right-wing texture.

So simply using the right wing twice would not work.

Paint does not do layer editing. Also cutting and pasting is not easy. (freehand selection)

What editor would be good to do this in?

I have GIMP and Inkscape, but I'm not very handy using those yet.(also not sure they would save as .dds

I would probably have to edit the plain texure, and re-add the alpha later using DxtBmp. Correct?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use GIMP, to open both textures as layers using GIMP is to select file-open as layers, navigate to where your wing textures are then select right wing & hold down control key & select left wing ( both wings should be selected ) & select open, using the free select tool ( looks like a lasso ) select the parts of the right wing texture layer that you want to copy & paste onto the left wing texture, delete the right wing layer & save, make sure that the file name is correct for the left wing when saving.

Yes, you will need to add the alpha channel using DXTbmp & save in the original file format.

There is a free plugin from nVidia that will allow it to import/export .dds images directly. So there's no need for DXTBMP.exe at all...

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived