Hot Rod

BillD22

Here are some shots of a Pilatus PC-21 high performance turboprop trainer on a flight from Northeast Florida Regional Airport (KSGJ) near St. Agustine down to Melbourne International Airport (KMLB) on Florida's space coast.

We pick up the action over the coastline of eastern Florida as the airplane is just starting its descent from cruise at FL180.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

The PC-21 has tandem seating with the instructor sitting in the rear and above the student in the front cockpit.

P3.jpg

As we get down to approach altitude in this view from the rear cockpit we can see Merritt Island and the causeway out to Cocoa Beach on the coast off the left wingtip. Further out in the upper left are Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center.

P4.jpg

With the airport in sight at 10 o'clock, we're cleared for the visual 9R approach. After landing we've been instructed to report to the tower controller! Why?

P5.jpg

On final, cleared to land.

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

Touchdown, taxi, and shut down on the ramp. Welcome to Melbourne!

P8.jpg

P9.jpg

P10.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Cool shots, lovely plane.... I get the feeling thiuus would make a nice little jet.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Here's what got us a trip to the control tower after landing::(:o

14 CFR § 91.117 Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

P4.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Great shots Bill! And yes, I love my PC-12s as well!

As to "Calls to the Tower." Real World, I had that happen more than once or twice! :eek::eek: Thankfully back in my day, military pilots were so much in demand we usually got off with a huge -ss-Kicking from a C.O.! Nothing like what they do to civilians for lesser mistakes now!

Martha Lunken recently lost thousands of hours of flight time, tons of PIC ratings on a ton of different aircraft, and had to start over with a "First Solo" with zero hours just for flying under a bridge!! :eek::eek: If they did that to military pilots during a time of war, there would be almost no one left to fly all those expensive military planes!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.