"How sweet it is!" Nice wheel landing to end the flight!

Nice shot & landing Rick but you might want to wait til the tail-wheel touchdown before getting too comfy ;):pilot:

Plus 1 on the tail wheel touchdown comment! The two wheel landing portion shown surely looked great! But keeping on the Center Line until the tail wheel is down is often an issue. Especially during an even slight cross-wind! :eek:

Having said that, many Tail Draggers" have much more trouble while taxiing than awaiting the tail wheel touchdown portion of the landing.

Even many decades GA Hero Pilot Martha Lunken had her tricycle geared aircraft struck recently while doing her pre-flight run-up by a Tail Dragger taxiing to approach the duty who didn't do enough crabbing to see her on the Turn-Up Area!!

BTW: Great two wheel landing! :cool: Hope the next phase worked out cleanly as well!

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Oh don't I know about convential gear aircraft! That's whats nice about flight sim, CTRL "C' and you can get comfy all you like!:rolleyes: Matter of fact, pop that brewski whenever you like!!

Thanks Bill

Rick :cool:

Hey Rick,

I'm sure glad I've been able to walk away from several of my flights on a sim!!

Thanks Larry and Michael!..

Yes, Michael, I love flying the classics, especially the tail draggers. I went for my first airplane ride in my Grandfather's Cessna 180

when I was 5 years old. He flew until he was 87-88 years old and only quit flying because he lost his depth perception and you really need

depth perception in a C180!:rolleyes: My family idol and he did it oh so well! Funny thing, my dad and grandpa both flew that 180 and I never saw either one of them make a wheel landing, always a "three pointer!"

So many nice aircraft on flight sim and I like them all in all shapes and colors!

Thanks Larry and Michael!..

Yes, Michael, I love flying the classics, especially the tail draggers. I went for my first airplane ride in my Grandfather's Cessna 180

when I was 5 years old. He flew until he was 87-88 years old and only quit flying because he lost his depth perception and you really need

depth perception in a C180!:rolleyes: My family idol and he did it oh so well! Funny thing, my dad and grandpa both flew that 180 and I never saw either one of them make a wheel landing, always a "three pointer!"

So many nice aircraft on flight sim and I like them all in all shapes and colors!

True enough! That's what they teach pilots now a days. It seems to be a lost art.

That's how I learned taildragger flying in RW, a Cessna 170B, touchdown with the tail wheel first and then allow the main gear to settle back down to

earth again! Worked well for me! Didn't take long for all the Macho Men taildragger pilots to come forward and encourage me to "wheel land!" Not me in landing in short fields, I'll do the three pointer, full flaps landing any day over wheel landings! Not really doing either or in these RW days, so, doesn't make much difference anymore! Different strokes for different folks!:rolleyes:

I always aim to land on wheels, great landing

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Thanks David, Eddie, Darren and Adam for your comments! Different strokes for different folks I guess. 3 pointers always worked for me in RW flying, but, now that I am not flying RW, I have the time to try to do wheel landings even in the most complex of taildragger aircraft (flight sim that is)! I always thought of those who consistently wheel landed their aircraft were just "showing off!" But when you get down to trying them, you realize just how hard it is to gain those skills!

I asked an Old ex Army flight instructor about the difference in flying taildraggers and his comments were, "Flying taildraggers is like dancing to faster music, you just have to move your feet a little faster!" I think it's more than just that, but, it does make sense in some scenerios! Like the difference in landing a Pitts Special vs a Piper J3 cub! You better be able to move your feet faster in that little hot rod, Pitts!

My "hat off" to those who do them and to those that get that bird down on earth in 3 wheels down at the same time! At the end of the day, we all did it correctly (I hope)!

Thanks again!

Edited by Downwind66