Cowl-Flaps, What Planes Use Them?

What planes use cowl-flaps? In FSX

I recently built a MobiFlight switch panel “inspired-by” the Saitek/Logitech switch panel, and I included a switch for Cowl-Flaps. When I went to test all of the switches, I did not find a cowl-flaps switch in the default Cessna-172. In fact, looking through several plane configurations I did not find any planes that had cowl-flaps.

When I get to a plane with cowl-flaps, are they On/Off – Open/Close or do they have increments from 1-to-4 (cowl-1 … cowl-4)?

Thanks in advance

JD

C-180/C-182, C-206, Mooney, Bonanza, Baron, Aztec, C-210, Cherokee 235, Bellanca Viking and a lot more light aircraft. Most (not all) light aircraft with more than 200 HP and virtually all of the big recips. An exception is the Cessna 310, which uses exhaust augmenters instead of cowl flaps.

The cowl flaps are strictly an aid to engine cooling, pilot controllable, and are not needed on the Cherokee 180 and below, the Warrior or Archer, but IS used on the Arrow, etc. And certainly the 65 HP through 150 HP aircraft don't need cowl flaps. Some with the 180 HP engine might have cowl flaps, but not all.

Of course with all that said, there can be an occasional exception.

So I'd not eliminate that switch -- there's plenty of use for it.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I think that the idea of Saitek to put a switch is not too bad.

The only problem is that the flaps are close or full open. We get use to it.

In real life, or in the sim, if you sit in a C182 look on the right of the center column for the up and down lever.

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab