MSFS is good enough for me

Each time I hear someone complaining about MSFS I like it because it reminds me of how much I am enjoying the SIM.

When they complain about the weather, it reminds me of how I enjoy watching the clouds grow and dissipate, and how I enjoy seeing the clouds shadows cast over the ground. Also how I enjoy seeing the white horses on the oceans when it is windy, and the grass swaying in the wind when taxiing.

When they complain about the flight physics, it reminds me of how I love the turbulence that hits you when you fly over mountainous areas, and how the aircraft floats in ground effect if you come in too fast. How I love certain aircraft spinning when you stall them and how you can recover the spin as in real life.

When they complain about the menu system, it reminds me of how clunky FSX was in comparison and how modern the new UI feels.

When they complain about updates, it reminds me of how great it is that the SIM is constantly evolving to be something better, and how great it is to get new content for free.

When they complain about setting up their controllers, it reminds me of the pages of code I had to write to make FSX work correctly with my home cockpit setup and, in comparison, how easy it has been to setup it up with MSFS.

I live opposite a current British Airways Airbus A350 pilot. He comes to visit occasionally and when I showed him my SIM he was blown away by how accurate it was in comparison to real life. And he wasn't just being nice, before showing him I asked him to evaluate it against what he does daily for his job, and to not pull any punches if he felt it was crap.

So, in short, call me a fan boy if you will, but.......MSFS is good enough for me .

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Edited by stinger2k2

Msfs is good............. . when it works and doesn't crash halfway through the flight
Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

Great post Keith!

I agree 100%. I am blown away everytime I put on my vr headset and go for a flight :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Each time I hear someone complaining about MSFS I like it because it reminds me of how much I am enjoying the SIM.

When they complain about the weather, it reminds me of how I enjoy watching the clouds grow and dissipate, and how I enjoy seeing the clouds shadows cast over the ground. Also how I enjoy seeing the white horses on the oceans when it is windy, and the grass swaying in the wind when taxiing.

When they complain about the flight physics, it reminds me of how I love the turbulence that hits you when you fly over mountainous areas, and how the aircraft floats in ground effect if you come in too fast. How I love certain aircraft spinning when you stall them and how you can recover the spin as in real life.

When they complain about the menu system, it reminds me of how clunky FSX was in comparison and how modern the new UI feels.

When they complain about updates, it reminds me of how great it is that the SIM is constantly evolving to be something better, and how great it is to get new content for free.

When they complain about setting up their controllers, it reminds me of the pages of code I had to write to make FSX work correctly with my home cockpit setup and, in comparison, how easy it has been to setup it up with MSFS.

I live opposite a current British Airways Airbus A350 pilot. He comes to visit occasionally and when I showed him my SIM he was blown away by how accurate it was in comparison to real life. And he wasn't just being nice, before showing him I asked him to evaluate it against what he does daily for his job, and to not pull any punches if he felt it was crap.

So, in short, call me a fan boy if you will, but.......MSFS is good enough for me .

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

The menu system blows and everyone knows it

How would I know if my bsod crashes during flight are PSU related.???? Every time it happens I get a different error wording on the blue screen. I ran NXT CAM during flight and. DON'T come near maxing out on anything

THANKS

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

Great post Keith!

I agree 100%. I am blown away everytime I put on my vr headset and go for a flight :)

Regards

Steve

Same. I actually started getting a tad bored with FSX; the dull repetitive scenery wasn't doing it for me anymore.

With this, each new place I fly to is like opening another Christmas gift...

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Great post Keith!

Regards

Steve

I agree with you Steve and Keith 120%. I cannot believe how crisp and sharp everything is in VR now since my personal update! I can even read the instrument panel now without leaning way in.

Regards

Kevin

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Karen, have you tried P3d or X-Plane? If you want to talk about clunky and sucks. And John, maybe if you post your all of your computer specs and internet speed, someone may be able to help you with your problem. May do like a lot of us do and put those specs in your signature line.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I have had every version of Flight Simulator since FS4, and whilst each version was an improvement on the previous one, none showed the order of magnitude change the MSFS 2020 has. I thought FSX was very good with the PMDG 737 and 777 add ons but MSFS with the Flybywire A320 is out of this world, and the A320 is free!

I run the sim with virtually all the settings in ultimate and using live weather and it is faultless, even with the very complex A320. The scenery and weather effects are amazing and each time I use it I find something that pleasantly surprises me.

Most of my flying is using the A320, which I try to fly correctly, starting at the gate from cold and dark and ending with shut down at the destination gate, usually short haul trips within the UK with occasional forays elsewhere. If I am in the mood for sightseeing I normally fly the C152 or 172. I am eagerly awaiting the PMDG 737 release.

I agree with the majority here, this is the best flight simulator to date by many miles.

Regards Terry

TerryB

Asus ROG STRIX B550, Ryzen 5800X, Gigabyte 3080 10GB, 16GB 3600DDR4, 2 x 500GB SSDs, 3TB HDD, Corsair 4000X case, 27" HP monitor

I have had every version of Flight Simulator since FS4, and whilst each version was an improvement on the previous one, none showed the order of magnitude change the MSFS 2020 has. I thought FSX was very good with the PMDG 737 and 777 add ons but MSFS with the Flybywire A320 is out of this world, and the A320 is free!

I run the sim with virtually all the settings in ultimate and using live weather and it is faultless, even with the very complex A320. The scenery and weather effects are amazing and each time I use it I find something that pleasantly surprises me.

Most of my flying is using the A320, which I try to fly correctly, starting at the gate from cold and dark and ending with shut down at the destination gate, usually short haul trips within the UK with occasional forays elsewhere. If I am in the mood for sightseeing I normally fly the C152 or 172. I am eagerly awaiting the PMDG 737 release.

I agree with the majority here, this is the best flight simulator to date by many miles.

Regards Terry

I think the fbw is the best free addon to date!

It’s all I fly now. Such a learning curve though! I went from unable to keep power on (lol) to now doing full flights. Definitely is a different animal than the Boeing, starting with the auto pilot!

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I like flying MSFS 2020 as well.

Have I had problems? Sure, but with the help of individuals on this forum, I was able to work through them. Do I think the simulator could be better, less bugs? Kind of. I've been involved with computers since the Commodore era (yes, I had FS 2 back then, lol, even remember reading an article of how the program was made and how the developers had to code so carefully because they had limited space to load the program. I remember one section where they had X number of bytes left and they still had to put in the cracked windshield whenever a crash would occur ((they did that!!))

I agree though, if your looking for help here, ask for it, don't come in here bashing the program!!! I have had my fair share of problems (mostly with the updates and the program not getting them, but I have learned what to do and how to overcome it.

This seems to be a bit of rambling on, lol, off to breakfast!

Cats Rule!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

MSFS has a few strong points. But I think the greatest source of disappointment is the huge gap between what was hyped for years before release and what was actually delivered.

Also the fact that with each update [sU] so many add-ons also need to be "updated." It has reached the point that much more time is spent on compulsory updating than on actual flying.

Edited by billythebassman

... everytime I put on my vr headset and go for a flight :)

If I had to put something on my head ever time I ran my sim, my teenage son would laugh me out of the house. I don't need that humiliation ... get enough all ready. Most dads do. :p

MSFS has a few strong points. But I think the greatest source of disappointment is the huge gap between what was hyped for years before release and what was actually delivered.

Also the fact that with each update [sU] so many add-ons also need to be "updated." It has reached the point that much more time is spent on compulsory updating than on actual flying.

I respectfully disagree on both points. In my opinion MSFS in its current state has not only met, but well surpassed, expectations. It is by far the most advanced flight sim ever produced, and it is getting better all the time. With its real-world scenery, nothing else comes remotely close to the sense of immersion this affords. What exactly are the expectations you had that are unmet? Please be precise -- saying "MSFS is garbage", "the weather stinks", etc. is not helpful.

On your second point, if you are actually spending more time installing updates than flying, this is not normal. I have had occasional glitches with getting some updates installed, but nowhere near the level you describe. As far as multiple add-ons requiring updating after MSFS updates, this too is not normal in my experience. I have hundreds of add-ons, and few if any have been affected by the updates, other than the fact that MSFS scenery updates can render some add-ons obsolete. (Using Addon Linker, which places only links rather than actual files, in the Community folder, is a big help). I have spent hours and hours flying and exploring the world as I never could in any earlier sim, and it is amazing.

Edited by cobalt

I cannot believe the double standards is all I will say

Toyota is a popular make of car. A lot of folks like them, some don't. Ford is a popular make of car. A lot of folks like them and some don't. What appeals to a Toyota fan may be different than what appeals to a Ford fan. The world can accommodate both opinions. If you think both Toyota and Ford are garbage and love Hudsons, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't have apoplexy when most don't share that sentiment. You are welcome to note the things that make Hudsons great, but just trashing everything else and those that enjoy their preference included, is not only not productive, but also disruptive. We know you don't like MSFS, what more do you need to comment!

Secondly, I note in another section you INCORRECTLY state that other opinions were banned. I want to correct that as I understand the record. The parties were NOT banned, rather the rules were explained as to the proper behavior to allow a functioning forum, and those folks did not like the rules, and CHOSE to leave rather than follow the rules. I am not a mod, so I don't know the details, but that is the public record.

Laud FSX or FS9 or FS98 all you like. There are reasons to prefer sims that have a lot of mature content. Enjoy what you like. But don't become disgruntled when most don't share your perspective.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I started with FS 2 on an Apple IIc around 1990 (I have the computer and the floppy disc stored in plastic peanuts, waiting for the day they will bring untold riches on eBay), and I generally agree with davidc2. I too have had glitches with updates, but after sufficient profanities was able to sort them out. Also, I've found this forum enormously helpful in figuring out things that were less than obvious.

After 20 months, here are my 2 gripes:

Minor: I know others here disagree, but distant scenery on bright days looks washed out, overexposed and/or with insufficient color saturation.

Major: Asobo and MS have provided almost no info about the program, especially the aircraft -- not one word about their controls and where to find stuff. It is astonishing to me that a program of this complexity came without a manual of any sort. This has left all of us fumbling in the dark, shouting out to others for help (as on this forum and on YouTube). (The SoFly manual is next to useless beyond basics for beginners. And who needed a history of simming?) I'll end with just one example. I started another active thread here asking Qs about the Flight Condition settings, especially wind settings. The FC menu is very detailed, complex and not intuitive. And yet -- not a word of explanation from MS (or SoFly, for that matter). Not a word.

Yeppers, been with this sim pretty much since day one and once I configured my desktop with sufficient memory and graphics capability have never experienced a CTD. I accept the reality that I am running it on at best a low-mid range PC and don't have the ability to run some features at Ultra, but those minor inconveniences will be resolved once I buy that darn winning lottery ticket - which is all that is preventing my ownership of the Honda Goldwing DCT trike I so desperately need. (bad knees and old age)

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

@ Cobalt who asked "What exactly are the expectations you had that are unmet? Please be precise -- "

My reply would be:

That there would be usable ATC

That there would be usable Traffic

That older planes from FSX and P3d would be usable in the sim

That users would be able to record and replay flights

That the weather engine would be stable and reliable

That it would look remotely similar to the videos used to hype it.

There was, to my recollection, no mention that this would be far from complete almost two years after release and that it was in fact a "ten year project"

Edited by billythebassman

In response to your last statement.....A topic (from another site dated July 28, 2020 the title was "Is MSFS 2020 a 10 year Project?") I'll have to scan this site to see if there was something similar said around the same time 2 years ago!

I'm fairly certain it was mentioned right after the initial release about it being a long term project.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

@ Cobalt who asked "What exactly are the expectations you had that are unmet? Please be precise -- "

My reply would be:

That there would be usable ATC

That there would be usable Traffic

That older planes from FSX and P3d would be usable in the sim

That users would be able to record and replay flights

That the weather engine would be stable and reliable

That it would look remotely similar to the videos used to hype it.

There was, to my recollection, no mention that this would be far from complete almost two years after release and that it was in fact a "ten year project"

While some may have had an expectation that they could simply drop in add-ons for previous sims, Asobo and Microsoft never advertised or claimed this as a feature. On the other hand they did say that they viewed this as a 10 year project multiple times in various interviews and updates.

Major: Asobo and MS have provided almost no info about the program, especially the aircraft -- not one word about their controls and where to find stuff.

That is certainly one of the biggest failings with the sim, and is unfortunately far too common with software these days. The publishers and/or developers almost seem to expect that either users will understand everything out of the box (not very realistic for something as complex as MSFS), or that third parties such as SoFly (realistically, they will always be behind the curve) or communities like this one will make up the difference.