United Airlines Opening Flight Training School

Ray Hff

Wherever the moderator wants to put it is okay by me.

Considering the high readership in this forum, it may reach further.

This is a true opportunity from some young aviation buffs.

In one way your reply makes sense to me as well. The higher the readership numbers, the better!

Using that same concept, I suggest you also post it where lnuss suggests as well! ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I'm sorry, but this statement takes a whole library to describe its BS.

United said it plans to train 5,000 pilots in its flight academy by 2030 and aims for half of those students to be women or people of color.

What does gender or "color" have ANYTHING to do with qualifications? Seriously. Who the hell cares what your gender or "color" is! I obviously don't. If you have the qualifications and meet he company's criteria, then in my opinion you have the job.

Making social issues a criteria for the hiring process means you're committed to hiring specific people no matter their capabilities. Which to me doesn't sound right in the interest of equal opportunity employment long laid down by the Department of Labor and Congress. Because it pretty much means this person has a guaranteed job over someone else. So you can quickly see the double edge sword behind this idea that has no logic or common sense behind it. And guess what? You shouldn't be focused on social issues for hiring criteria anyway when you're going to have a very hard time procuring hirees right now and possibly in the future. To those that don't now, airlines as well as air traffic control jobs are on the rise as baby boomers retire. Plus, there may be lots of people that actually like getting sleep... Never mind the wages...

Anyway, gainful employment should be available to EVERYONE and not subjected to what amounts to be reverse racism and gender bias.

/soap box off.

Vive la Constitution!

(This post not up for debate. So please do not quote it and expect such. We now bring you back to our regularly schedule broadcast already in progress.)

I'm sorry, but this statement takes a whole library to describe its BS.

What does gender or "color" have ANYTHING to do with qualifications? Seriously. Who the hell cares what your gender or "color" is! I obviously don't. If you have the qualifications and meet he company's criteria, then in my opinion you have the job.

Making social issues a criteria for the hiring process means you're committed to hiring specific people no matter their capabilities. Which to me doesn't sound right in the interest of equal opportunity employment long laid down by the Department of Labor and Congress. Because it pretty much means this person has a guaranteed job over someone else. So you can quickly see the double edge sword behind this idea that has no logic or common sense behind it. And guess what? You shouldn't be focused on social issues for hiring criteria anyway when you're going to have a very hard time procuring hirees right now and possibly in the future. To those that don't now, airlines as well as air traffic control jobs are on the rise as baby boomers retire. Plus, there may be lots of people that actually like getting sleep... Never mind the wages...

Anyway, gainful employment should be available to EVERYONE and not subjected to what amounts to be reverse racism and gender bias.

/soap box off.

Vive la Constitution!

(This post not up for debate. So please do not quote it and expect such. We now bring you back to our regularly schedule broadcast already in progress.)

All pilots at my flying club in the UK are WASPs. Not an Indian, Chinaman or Black man in sight. And precious few women.

So I definitely welcome some new blood of whatever gender and whatever colour.... Positive discrimination implies compensation for years or decades of bias. But as a middle-aged white man what would I know?