Has anyone used FSX on Windows 11 yet?

PEIRascal

Good day good flight sim people.

My sim computer (specs in sig) died and I will be getting a new one under warranty (long story). I am sure it will arrive with Windows 11 installed and was wondering if it has been tried yet. I will not know the rest of the computer specs until it is about ready to ship.

If so are there any things that need to be done prior to the installation. I will be installing FSX Gold disc version if possible. I am aware of the sticky at the top of the forum.

Thanks for any thoughts

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

Not used, but installed and started. Installation took very long and it felt that my DVD drive was dying, but in the end it worked perfectly fine.

From mobile hence short

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The Owl's Nest * Military Aircraft Reference * ICAO Reference * Distance Calculator * MAIW & UKMil Reference

gsnde,

Thank you. That is the information I was hoping to get. I have had zero issues with FSX on W10, but as I stated the new computer is likely to have W11.

Thanks again

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

Upgraded my computer to Windows 11 last week and had alot of issues loading the box version. I ended up buying the Steam Version and it's working fine. Had some issues with ActiveSky connecting and running with the Steam version, but downloaded the beta patch for it and now it's working fine too. Some learning curves to get it working, but have finished 2 flights in it now, and it's working fine.

As usual when you ask about FSX (or any of the other Flt Sims) in the various versions of Window, some have horrendous problems whilst others are problem free.

All set-ups are different, so we all get different results.

Only definite answer is to try it yourself!

Good luck. :)

As usual when you ask about FSX (or any of the other Flt Sims) in the various versions of Window, some have horrendous problems whilst others are problem free.

All set-ups are different, so we all get different results.

Only definite answer is to try it yourself!

Good luck. :)

Thank you for the reply.

You are correct, every system and it's environment is different. This I am quite aware of. Regardless of any other person's experience, I could very well face a different experience.

But, I now know that the program will work on W11 given the right setup. I can work from there.

Hal

Windows 11 has been working just fine for me. I think it's a little more stable than Windows 10 was, and aside for the minor differences between 10 and 11, I really like it so far. I have learned over the years to not put things where Windows wants to put them, such as Program Files, or even placing things in your personal profiles, mainly because of permission issues. And because of doing things that way, it has limited any permission issues I've had. And all my programs have run fine. Only issue I've had up to now with FSX:SE is that my QualityWings BAe-146 doesn't run on it. IN fact it crashes the sim whenever I select it. No other aircraft thus far has done that. But, not something that will frustrate me about the new setup, something I will work through, or around. I've been in IT over 25 years, and just another fun challenge for me to figure out!!!

Slightly off trackbut from what I've seen of Win 11 (which, I admit, is precious little) I'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming to use it.

Allan

Good call! At least as long as what you need is still doable on X. And it surely isn't as overwhelmed with unwanted ads!!!!

Having said that, X operations are getting more out of date every day. Sad to say, in time you will either be drug kicking and screaming to 11 or find another operating system instead. I've looked but not found it yet.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Good call! At least as long as what you need is still doable on X. And it surely isn't as overwhelmed with unwanted ads!!!!

Having said that, X operations are getting more out of date every day. Sad to say, in time you will either be drug kicking and screaming to 11 or find another operating system instead. I've looked but not found it yet.

There are tools that can disable much of the tracking and online portions of Windows 10 and 11.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

You've got until October 2025 when support for Windows 10 ends to figure out what to do. Although if you want a modern system without all of the extras Microsoft keeps adding, your only real choice is probably going to be Linux in some form.

Just for your info folks you must be very aware of the side effects of installing many of the “Anti-Spying” tools for Windows 10. Again this link is solely for your info.

Why You Shouldn’t Use “Anti-Spying” Tools for Windows 10

https://www.howtogeek.com/273513/why-you-shouldnt-use-anti-spying-tools-for-windows-10/

i7 8086K @ 5.2 GHz, H115i Pro Cooler, GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7, 8GB GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz, 250GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 1TB WD Black, EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD, Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case, LG Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD, Win 10 64bit, Samsung 32” Odyssey G70B 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync

I had big problems with FSXSE in win10 upgrade to 11 no probs with sim but a lot of supporting software running my cockpit wont work. A tip my sim PC has no security installed, helps increase FR, its on the net so I can run steam I do not look at or click anything so no chance of anything unwelcome infecting it. I do all my browsing and downloading on a old slow PC with loads of security installed, never have any issues doing it this way.

Howard

Update,

I have installed FSX and Acceleration, no issues encountered in the installation. I just now have to get all my config files, add on scenery, log book file etc. restored from backup.

I am currently having an old issue that is not exactly related. Since installing the Sim, I installed video editing software. I have always found that editing software interferes with the operation of the optical drives. Something to do with the disk burning parts of the editing software. For the past 2 - 3 hours I have been watching the DVD drive try to read the installation disks that I used Dec 24.

I first noticed this issue years ago when I installed one burning software (name withheld). The exact problem I have right now. Removed said software and things went back to normal. Then purchased a video editing software, installed it, and the problem returned. It had burning capabilities.

I forgot to install the SDK's when I did the initial install. No I am trying to install them (it).

Bottom line is the Sim is working great, just need to finish the set-up.

Hal

• 2 weeks later...
I had a long period where the machine said removing programs in the installer and never got off of that. So for me FSX did not load. I was able to load FS2004 but it won't run. Got an error with FSX that it was unable to load Installshield scripting software. I am wondering since it is a new machine with only WIN11 not an upgrade if some DLLs are missing.

I had a long period where the machine said removing programs in the installer and never got off of that. So for me FSX did not load. I was able to load FS2004 but it won't run. Got an error with FSX that it was unable to load Installshield scripting software. I am wondering since it is a new machine with only WIN11 not an upgrade if some DLLs are missing.

CaptT,

I was able to load FSX & ACC with no problems on a new Win11 machine. Not sure what your error refers to. Not really any help except to say that it will install on a new machine with Win11.

Hal

• 1 month later...

Hi Peirascal

I also have a cd burning software, Power2Go8, that scans disk when inserted.

It scans all files, to be able to burn quicker if asked.

That can be disabled by disabling a P2G8 item from automatic startup. "P2G8 Virtual Disk" or something.

I disabeled that from autostarting using CCleaner.

Cd burning stil works just as well.

No more issues with CD's spinning pointlessly for an hour before you can start accessing them.

See this thread also:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?300456-FSX-How-to-download-new-from-older-hard-copy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I first noticed this issue years ago when I installed one burning software (name withheld).

Come on, Hal, man up. If the software is bad, call it by name and for what it is. You don't own stock in that company or something, right? And the forum is intended to share information with others, right? Why in the world withhold the name of a software package that caused trouble? What's the point in that? Good information might help some other poor sod (like me) avoid problems in the future, for which others, me for one, would be grateful.

Edited by ftldave
add txt

Come on, Hal, man up. If the software is bad, call it by name and for what it is. You don't own stock in that company or something, right? And the forum is intended to share information with others, right? Why in the world withhold the name of a software package that caused trouble? What's the point in that? Good information might help some other poor sod (like me) avoid problems in the future, for which others, me for one, would be grateful.

I was talking about 15 to 20 years ago. Not relevant now.

• 2 weeks later...
Update,

I have installed FSX and Acceleration, no issues encountered in the installation. I just now have to get all my config files, add on scenery, log book file etc. restored from backup.

I am currently having an old issue that is not exactly related. Since installing the Sim, I installed video editing software. I have always found that editing software interferes with the operation of the optical drives. Something to do with the disk burning parts of the editing software. For the past 2 - 3 hours I have been watching the DVD drive try to read the installation disks that I used Dec 24.

I first noticed this issue years ago when I installed one burning software (name withheld). The exact problem I have right now. Removed said software and things went back to normal. Then purchased a video editing software, installed it, and the problem returned. It had burning capabilities.

I forgot to install the SDK's when I did the initial install. No I am trying to install them (it).

Bottom line is the Sim is working great, just need to finish the set-up.

Hal

Cheers Hal i have an LG rewriter that does the same thing always tnought it was the drive itself but now likely to be Ashampoo software!? Will try it out

Mick

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

• 3 months later...
I did not have any problems running FSX Steam Edition in windows 10. I had the option to switch to Windows 11, now FSX Steam Edition won't launch! One person's experience had a problem similar to my case. He went back to Windows 10, problem solved! Someone else's experience, Windows 11 was not a problem. I like to keep windows 11 but FSX Steam Edition is my priority, I am still looking for a positive solution. Any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using a VPN, turn it OFF. Run FSX - it should load fine. Turn VPN back on.

This JUST WORKED for me after weeks of frustration.

Hope this helps!

I did not have any problems running FSX Steam Edition in windows 10. I had the option to switch to Windows 11, now FSX Steam Edition won't launch! One person's experience had a problem similar to my case. He went back to Windows 10, problem solved! Someone else's experience, Windows 11 was not a problem. I like to keep windows 11 but FSX Steam Edition is my priority, I am still looking for a positive solution. Any other suggestions?