I am planning to upgrade my systems. What do you think my internet speed should be for best results? Also, the best CPU motherboard, and video card? While I am not rich, I can afford a good system. Thanks for your advice.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

I am planning to upgrade my systems. What do you think my internet speed should be for best results? Also, the best CPU motherboard, and video card? While I am not rich, I can afford a good system. Thanks for your advice.

Here is what I use, my system is in my signature. Not the best, but I can run at Ultra/High settings.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Since you are going to be running 4K monitor, I would suggest AMD Radeonâ„¢ RX 6800 XT and AMD Ryzenâ„¢ 9 5900X CPU. 32GB of 3200 low latency ram. At 4K, you need internet speed greater than the minimum spec by a substantial amount. I have 78MB/s but I am running an easy monitor resolution. You may need 100 MB/s? Another thought, you might want to wait until Nvidea comes out with a 4080 GPU??
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

As with most all things internet driven, IMHO you can't have 'too fast' an internet connection. While I realize how 'regional' fast internet availabilty is, if you can get 100mbps or faster you will not be disappointed. Not just for playing the sim, but fast-fast-fast really cuts down on the time it takes to download updates and purchases. I do not regret what my 200mbps with XFinity costs.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I reckon even 50mbps would easily be fast enough. Remember your internet speed is only as fast as the weakest link in the chain.

You may be connected to the internet at 100 or 200mbps but if the servers or some other connection along the way is only 20..then that’s all you will actually get.

I’m on 200mbps myself.. but do I actually get that? Who knows.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Since you are going to be running 4K monitor, I would suggest AMD Radeon[emoji769] RX 6800 XT and AMD Ryzen[emoji769] 9 5900X CPU. 32GB of 3200 low latency ram. At 4K, you need internet speed greater than the minimum spec by a substantial amount. I have 78MB/s but I am running an easy monitor resolution. You may need 100 MB/s? Another thought, you might want to wait until Nvidea comes out with a 4080 GPU??
One needs a 100MB/s???

That's 800Mbps. Sure you didn't mean 100Mbps? [emoji848] [emoji6]

I

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I reckon even 50mbps would easily be fast enough. Remember your internet speed is only as fast as the weakest link in the chain.

You may be connected to the internet at 100 or 200mbps but if the servers or some other connection along the way is only 20..then that’s all you will actually get.

I’m on 200mbps myself.. but do I actually get that? Who knows.

Regards

Steve

Steve is correct. I have 400 with Xfinity, but it still took over 16 hours to redownload MSFS, it would vary between 7-40

:)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Do you see that on updates, David? I watch mine on updates, and it spools up to ~77.6 out off my 78 Mbps. Small files never get there, but large files do. I guess it also depends on the state of their servers? I usually wait until the rush is over.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

As I understand these things (limited knowledge at best) my available bandwidth is also shared each day at the same time by my Smarty-Pants phone and my Smarty-Pants TV which are also connected to the interwebs performing various duties. And then there's my wireless printer, not to ignore my desktop PC trying to stay connected with the world whilst its owner flies a Bleriot from Chicago Midway to some obscure grass strip in Indiana.

More internet speed IS better.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I run a 30mbps internet connection and get occasional Azure voice drop outs when other people in the house are hammering the connection. However I rarely see MSFS actually use the connection besides the initial flight loads. I have hardly ever had the terrain drop out.

Plainsman gave some good specs. The only suggestion I'd make is that I think most boards will get around 3600mhz DDR speeds quite easily so I'd buy for that. Do your research though because it's more important now more than ever.

I'd also say get the best graphics card you can afford (or get your hands on) because if you're playing at 4k, the hardware will definitely be the limit. People say this game is very CPU dependent and it is, but don't think a fast CPU will trump the best video card on the market. It's more like a bad CPU will bring the game to a crawl even with the best video card etc. Bottleneck's and such.

Depending on your final video card choice make sure your monitor supports g-sync or the AMD alternative equivalent because you'll find V-Sync a complete pain.

The reason I went with 3200 speed ram, is that according to some early testing with MSFS, I think it was in Tom's hardware, 3200 speed ram was the optimum, and they encountered some problems at 3600. I don't know if that still holds true?? It wasn't a MB issue, it was MSFS software related. That may have been addressed in updates?

I thank you all for your expert advice. Now to decide.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Well this is my system in my signature and it works well with no problems.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz /Graphics: Red devil RX6800XT 16GB /MB: X570 Gaming WiFi / ram: 32GB@3600 MHz /500GB M.2 Drive /1TB SSD /3-Asus 27" Displays.

It sounds like the problem with 3600 MHz ram is fixed in the updates. The performance difference between 3600 and 3200 isn't going to be a large amount, so if you want to be conservative the 3200 MHz won't hamstring you.