Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does FSX exist anymore?

Default Does FSX exist anymore?

Anyone else getting sick of the developers obsession with MSFS? Even frooglesim has deserted FSX/XPlane on youtube!! Its like we never existed 😕 I know things move on but this has been a very sudden demise imho.
    Thank god for you guys here 👍

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance mobo, Gainward Windforce GTX 960 OC 2GB, Windows10 64bit, 256mb Crucial SSD, 500GB Seagate HDD.

I play a bunch of old abandoned games. The masses always will go to the latest. I only go to the latest if it’s also the greatest and MSFS is not.
    For a flight game which MSFS is, X-Wing from 1993 leaves it for dead imo!

As for flight sims, heck, I will always happily use FS9. Could not care less everyone is gone.

Default Will Be Here For Awhile

I've been with FSX since the beginning and all of its predecessors before that.

With a strong compliment of added aircraft and added instrumentation, it is en excellent flight simulator that I'm sure I'll use till the my computer fails. It's hard to beat as a flight simulator for flying and for gaining an understanding instrumentation and navigation.

For those rare times when I want to look at things, I forgo FSX in favor of Google Earth's new "on the web" experiment. It's a great sight seeing simulator.

Its like we never existed 😕 I know things move on but this has been a very sudden demise imho.
    Sudden? Never existed? No more so than from FS8 to FS9 or FS9 to FSX. It's a new market, so they can do things with the "new kid on the block" that have been done, redone and overdone in FSX and before, and it's brought a lot of new folks into the sim world, so their market has expanded and they'd be foolish (business wise, perhaps art wise) to not take advantage of that.

FSX is rather old (late 2005), which is ancient in computer terms, and there are thousands of free downloads, as well as huge numbers of commercial products available for it, so why do you think they should remain stagnant? After all, they have limited resources and so they have to decide where the business can prosper.

I went to P3D many years ago, as did many other folks, though I still have FSX on the computer, and my 10 year old Win 7 machine won't run FS2020 (nor the latest P3D, for that matter), but I'm satisfied with what I have and with what's available (commercial & free) for it. I don't see any cause for complaint, just because something is new out there. Besides, there are some folks still making stuff for FSX (and FS9, for that matter), though the numbers are a lot smaller.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Blog Entries

Heck, I still race NASCAR Season 2003. With mods still out there it’s like a new game every year.

Same with FSX.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

I still play links 2003. However, with MSFS it’s only natural for developing to move on from ancient platforms. There’s still idles of Addis’s you can buy for it, I highly doubt you have them all.

I find no reason to take up MSFS and still run FSX albeit now the Steam edition. I think MS left it too long to allow a follow up to FSX. In my case I have accrued thousands (literally) of $$$ in addons which make FSX look wonderful. What can MSFS offer at this stage other than graphical improvements and from what I see they ain't all that anyway. Very limited selection of a/c and lets be honest about it, it is still a Beta program. I will prob get it later like I did with P3D v 1,3, & 4 and XP11 as I am a flight sim sucker. Also DCS, IL2 Great Battles and IL2 1946. It's an obsession but I am getting better nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnJohn View Post
    I still play links 2003.
    Links LS 2000 here. haha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anaismith View Post
    I find no reason to take up MSFS and still run FSX albeit now the Steam edition. I think MS left it too long to allow a follow up to FSX. In my case I have accrued thousands (literally) of $$$ in addons which make FSX look wonderful. What can MSFS offer at this stage other than graphical improvements and from what I see they ain't all that anyway. Very limited selection of a/c and lets be honest about it, it is still a Beta program. I will prob get it later like I did with P3D v 1,3, & 4 and XP11 as I am a flight sim sucker. Also DCS, IL2 Great Battles and IL2 1946. It's an obsession but I am getting better nurse.
    Exactly. MSFS looks fantastic scenery wise, but lacks many other things.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Post Yes It Exists and I Still Use It

Believe it or not, I have been a Flight Sim Enthusiast and player ever since the days of Flight Unlimited 3, Fly!2k and of course, Flight Simulator 2000. And I must say, I loved the relaxed voice in Flight Unlimited 3 compared to the more stronger and direct voice that Rod Machado has (i.e. no puns intended). They both have inspired my enthusiasm for flight sims. And yes, both have even helped for a slight training I had in a Cessna Skyhawk!

Microsoft's Flight Simulator series has been an enjoyable experience for me. I have tried 2002, and even the 2004 Centuries of Flight. This, however, excludes the current 2020 version, but from reading and watching videos it seems to have great "eye candy" (i.e. personally, I would rather wait for more current hardware).

There has been a gap in time where I haven't gotten back into flight sims for years due to my busy life. However, now that I have more time, I recently had gotten back into FSX, the Gold edition. With the computer system I have now, I can now use any add-ons without a scratch and it doesn't drain as much as it used to on an older system! In fact, I have it on Ultra heavy settings and still get a great experience out of it.

X-Plane 11 is also something I recently purchased. Every article I have read said that X-Plane is the best when it comes to realism. However, can't the same be achieved with the right add-ons?

And finally, the other great thing about FSX is that you can specify "Easy" to "Hard" settings in your flight training experience. In fact, I add an extra challenge by enabling my rudder pedals with each lesson!

Later, I intend to try the planes out in X-Plane for ultimate realism, according to what article writers have said.

So, in essence, I use FSX for the lessons and enjoyment, and I even bought and use several add-ons that go nicely well with it! I intend to try out the same in X-Plane 11.

P.S. I have considered trying out the recent Prepar3d, however my current system wouldn't be able to handle it! The next time I upgrade I will try it! It seems to be an "improved FSX," from what I've seen and read.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast