Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nothing But Trouble After May 25 Update!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    There's your trouble. Click on the World Map, THEN select load.
    I click LOAD the only time it appears after starting up the sim. Maybe I shouldn't call it the the "Welcome Page." It's where you go after you click on the upper left quadrant of the first thing you get to after you boot up. But any way you slice it, I have no .PLN files in LocalState.

I see in the fine print you only get a .pln with a "valid flight plan." Maybe that's my problem. I don't seek approval. I put in the destination and follow the GPS route. Or, sometimes, I just load a small plane, like a Cub or Carenado's biplane, at an originating airport to fly around a scenic area, and hope I don't hit anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    I see in the fine print you only get a .pln with a "valid flight plan." Maybe that's my problem.
    Yes, a valid flight plan must have a departure airport and an arrival airport (which can be the same airport in this sim) otherwise the sim regards your flight as free flight only.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Yes, a valid flight plan must have a departure airport and an arrival airport (which can be the same airport in this sim) otherwise the sim regards your flight as free flight only.
    Well, I often put in BOTH origin and destination, as I said, and then follow the GPS route. But I still have no .PLN files in LocalState.

(Wish this were my biggest headache.)

Well, I often put in BOTH origin and destination, as I said, and then follow the GPS route. But I still have no .PLN files in LocalState.

(Wish this were my biggest headache.)
    MSFS doesn't automatically save your flight plan for you, like FSX did. You have to press Space or click Load/Save along the bottom of the World Map screen before clicking on Fly.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 06-16-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Cool

Thanks for everyone who's tried to help. But here's some good news:

A week ago, I did 2 things: as advised here, I updated Win 10 and also removed Orbx's "Edgley" plane (installed June 8) from my Community folder. Since then, I have opened 9 scenarios successfully (including 3 saved flights), and only had one CTD. This is a great improvement over the 5 consecutive CTDs I had on June 8 -9.

I am tempted to conclude that the Edgley was the stinker, somehow. I shall test that hypothesis further. Some day.

MSFS doesn't automatically save your flight plan for you, like FSX did. You have to press Space or click Load/Save along the bottom of the World Map screen before clicking on Fly.
    Tim,

I just saw your last post in this thread.

Not to belabor this, but we are not communicating. Of course you have to save.

Let's say I'm flying along with a "valid flight plan," which I believe means an origin airport and a destination airport. I'm following the GPS.
    Click ESC. Click LOAD/SAVE from toolbar at bottom of screen. LocalState window appears. Enter a name for the new saved flight. Click SAVE in the window. (It will save as .FLT, and there is no option to change the file type to anything, let alone .PLN.) That's what I do every time I wish to save a flight. They all appear as .FLT files.

And sometimes they do open properly, but I have yet to nail down the variable -- if there is one.

Try creating a flightplan with waypoints, for example select VOR to VOR flightplan from the drop down menu, then save and load it again. You should definitely have a .flt and .pln file.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim,

Let's say I'm flying along with a "valid flight plan," which I believe means an origin airport and a destination airport. I'm following the GPS.
    Click ESC. Click LOAD/SAVE from toolbar at bottom of screen. LocalState window appears. Enter a name for the new saved flight. Click SAVE in the window. (It will save as .FLT, and there is no option to change the file type to anything, let alone .PLN.) That's what I do every time I wish to save a flight. They all appear as .FLT files.

And sometimes they do open properly, but I have yet to nail down the variable -- if there is one.
    The only time you can get the option to save a .pln file is in the world map flight creation screen at the time of the flight creation. After that your only option is the .flt file. Of course you can create the .pln file in other software that can create plans for MSFS. The default option in MSFS is to save as the .flt file. This also creates the .pln file. You can choose to change the save to a .pln file in the drop down window. This saves only the .pln file.

Another point here. Contrary to what some say, you do not have to have a departure airport to create a valid plan. You can click anywhere on the map and set that point as departure then choose an arrival airport or click another spot on the map and set as arrival. This is useful for setting up landing challenges or any other thing you might want to practice.

I have set up a folder to save my plans in and have it stored on OneDrive. You do not have to use the default. Only drawback is that you have to navigate to your custom folder to save & load.

Hope some of this info is of use.

Hal
    Alienware Aurora R8, I7-9700K, 32g memory, 1t NVMe boot drive, 2 - 1t SSD for MSFS, 1t SAT drive for storage, RTX 2070 Super 8g,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123