Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retard floating

But when the OP asks "What could I be doing wrong?" although it may be erroneous programming that is wrong, the root cause is still too much speed, simply because too much speed has too much lift (especially once he's in ground effect) thus it floats. So he needs to program it for less speed, if the programming is the error that was made. To correct the program the erroneous input(s) needs to be changed, thus eliminating the root cause.

I'm not disputing that the Airbus may have some quirks, most of which I know nothing about, and I'm not disputing what you say in that regard. All I'm doing is saying what mallcott said above is CORRECT. Note that neither he nor I specified HOW to make the correction, we merely gave the aerodynamic cause of the problem the OP specified.

HOW the correction is made is up to the OP, and perhaps your comments can help him with that, but however it happened, it's still too much speed.

This question has nothing to do with airmanship, it's about how to program the Airbus MCDU accurately so that the fly-by-wire system flies and lands the aircraft correctly.
    It has EVERYTHING to do with airmanship, in that an understanding of such a basic thing should give a strong clue about WHAT needs to be changed. Whether it's an autoland or a manual landing is immaterial -- some input needs changing to attain less approach speed. WHAT that change is is where possible program changes might come in, but whatever the change is, it needs to result in less speed in order to avoid the floating.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    But when the OP asks "What could I be doing wrong?" although it may be erroneous programming that is wrong, the root cause is still too much speed, simply because too much speed has too much lift (especially once he's in ground effect) thus it floats.
    And that question was answered in my second post. Let's grow up about who was first with the right answer.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 04-23-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.28GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    And that question was answered in my second post. Let's grow up about who was first with the right answer.
    No, lets get back to why I replied in the first place:

Who mentioned the setup of the sim? We're talking about programming the A32NX's MCDU with the correct payload & fuel weight as well as current temp, wind, QNH etc.
    This question has nothing to do with airmanship, it's about how to program the Airbus MCDU accurately so that the fly-by-wire system flies and lands the aircraft correctly.
    It still has everything to do with basic airmanship. Are you telling me that an airplane was certified by the FAA and others that can only be flown safely if the electronics are properly programmed by the pilot (factory programming is something else, of course)?

Anyway, this has more than run its course...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12