Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [Survey] MSFS and tourism

Quote Originally Posted by Yoochem View Post
    Thanks for all your input chicagorandy, mallcott, & Kapitan!

- Chicagorandy: Thanks for elaborating - and yes, it can be hard (and often near impossible) to really uncover what comes before what when dealing with these things. But we can try!

- Mallcott: I'm wondering what you mean with "so see answering your question as highly undesirable at the moment" - and I do understand your reluctance to travel at the moment. Does the sim replace a part of that for you (for now), or is it only the aviation (i.e. technical flying) aspect of it that you are interested in?

- Kapitan: I wouldn't be surprised if at least a part of what you're describing will be implemented at some point!

---

By the way, I will close the survey this coming Monday. If anyone would still like to collaborate (every single entry helps a ton!) please do so this weekend
    Simple: We still have lockdown in UK.
    So ANY desire to fly has to be tempered by the greater desire NOT to inflict damage on my fellow passengers.
    I have no desire to KILL them, although I do see examples daily that make me reconsider!

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    Simple: We still have lockdown in UK.
    So ANY desire to fly has to be tempered by the greater desire NOT to inflict damage on my fellow passengers.
    I have no desire to KILL them, although I do see examples daily that make me reconsider!
    Ah I understand now, yeah I suppose it's the same in many countries at the moment.

---

By the way, the survey's closed now. Thanks again to everyone who participated. I will share the results here in due time (probably still at least a month from now).

Default Results

Hi everyone!

In late February I posted this topic. Today, I’m happy to present the results of this research.

First of all though, I want to thank those of you who filled out the survey or participated in the forum discussion. Without you, I could not have written this thesis.

Here is the abstract:

The concept of virtual tourism, which can be defined as a digital approximation of a tourism experience, has gained renewed attention due to the travel restrictions put in place to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Several studies describe the relation between people’s travel intention and their virtual tourism experiences. However, much is still unknown about how this relationship works. This thesis therefore combines Ajzen’s Theory of Planned Behaviour and Guttentag’s Substitution Acceptance Model to provide insight into the current and future potential of virtual tourism to inspire or substitute real tourism.

In pursuance of empirical evidence to support any assertions on this subject, the latest iteration of Microsoft Flight Simulator was used as a surrogate for a virtual tourism experience to investigate the potential of VT from home to complement or substitute real tourism. Its users filled out a survey regarding their experiences with the simulator, attitudes, (social) environment, individual characteristics, and travel intention. In addition, many joined online discussions which yielded qualitative information to complement the survey’s quantitative data. Lastly, three industry experts were interviewed to gain a wider perspective on the issue.

The results show that an individual’s experience with the specific destination, attitude towards VT, subjective norms, and barriers to real travel are all important in relation to travel intention based on the VT experience. Similarly, the quality of the experience is related to personal context and, in turn, related to the extent to which VT can replace or inspire real tourism. However, the findings also indicate that these two possibilities are not mutually exclusive, and that VT can serve both functions, i.e. replacing and inspiring travel. Lastly, consideration of VT as a travel replacement does not have a significant relation with travel intention, which implies that VT from home can currently serve as travel inspiration and a way to virtually travel while not reducing the desire for real tourism.
    If anyone is interested, the full report can be downloaded here. I will also present the results via live video stream this coming Monday at 15:30 (Amsterdam time) - this is the link to the MS Teams meeting.

Questions or comments are more than welcome!
    Last edited by Yoochem; 06-24-2021 at 04:01 AM.

Either way, MSFS has helped me relief the lack of true traveling due to CoViD restrictions.
    That's undeniable.

Hi Danbiosca, thanks for your comment. The relief you felt in this time definitely resonates with many other people's experiences. I think it is amazing that we live in a time where we are able to digitally replicate a small element of travel. The challenge for the coming decade(s) would be to make it accessible to more people and to figure out how to implement this ethically, i.e., if/how if can be used as a tool for a more equal and sustainable world.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234