I have been flight simming for over 30 years I downloaded the new sim on the first day it was available from the Microsoft store. It installed without any issues, I lauched the sim and it flew without a hitch. The visuals were impressive. I stayed up with all the updates all was good untill last week a small update was detected on the startup screen and downloaded it right from there, it did not take me to the microsoft store. It installed and I restarter the pc and the si. When I restarted the sim it took almost twice the time to load and after it finally did the sim stuttered so bad it was unflyable. I had not read that you should empty your community folder before you update so there was stuff in that folder, I closed the sim and emptied that folder, restarted the pc and the sim with no change. I made sure msfs was listed in my windows defender exclusions. I also rolled back graphics settings it made no difference. My internet speed is 100+, I don"t know what else to try.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that the mods installed in the Community folder would cause stutters, some of them might stop working after an update but this one was just a hotfix for payware aircraft panel clickspots, so if you have any payware aircraft installed they should now work properly.

It's likely that something outside the sim is causing the stutters - VPN's are known to cause issues like this so if you're using one, try disabling it while running MSFS.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

A Virtual Private Network can increase your internet security, but it also interferes with MSFS online connection. It's just an example of the type of program which might cause stutters in MSFS. If you're not using anything like that, have you tried the MSFS repair option in the Windows 10 Apps list?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

So I repared the sim when i clicked on it it almost immediateley put a check mark on it. Raven suggested resetting windows to an earlier date the only one that I saw was in setting it says it would erase apps so I did not do that. I started the sim and went in to the graphics settings and changed all the settings from high to low and relauched, the graphics changed but the performance was the same, still bad stutters. I will tell you that when I installed the sim it set those same settings to ultra. I will mention this I dont know if it means anything, when the sim loads and is on the cessna screen the progress bar at the bottom shots across the screen pretty fast untill it gets to within about 2 inches of the end and just sits there about 2 or 3 minutes and then finishes

The loading screen sounds normal, mine is a bit slower than that but I have a ton of mods in the Community folder. The only other thing I can think of is to check that Windows 10 is fully updated along with all your other drivers, including mainboard chipset, sound, etc.

You can check your graphics card by typing dxdiag into the search window on the task bar and launching the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Click on the Display tab and all your active graphics card details are listed, with any problems shown in the Notes window.

There's no reason to re-install the sim, most people who do this find their problem is still there after all the time to download and install the sim and then the updates, and for some the hassle of re-activation.

Check that your windows apps, system drivers and firmwares are all up to date, this should reduce the stutters if not remove them altogether.

Also, what CPU, memory speed, and monitor resolution are you running? The GTX 1060 is not working with much headroom from the start. One of the updates did change the workload somewhat, in that my CPU usage went from ~17% up to about ~22%. If you have slow memory especially if it has higher latency, that could now be causing more stutters. It is also possible you have had a hardware problem develop. I definitely don't recommend removing and reinstalling. Did you add any other programs or apps lately?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

It is strange you refuse to answer the specific question. A GTX 1060 is near the low end of useful GPU performance even on medium settings, much less ultra. As I mentioned, one of the recent updates did increase the workload of memory and CPU. If, for example, you have slow or older memory, that might account for the change. Also, things do fail, things do wear out. Just because it was working OK last week, does not mean it didn't fail this week.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I suspect your MB is running DDR3 1333 speed memory. Optimum now is DDR4 3200, and we will soon see another step up in architecture. I really don't think an upgrade is prudent at this point. You really are ready for a new machine. I would wait until after the Holidays, as prices are high and stock depleted now. By spring you should be able to get an I5 10600K or Ryzen 5700X for a decent price. Pair either those with 32GB of 3200 DDR4 and RTX 3060 or RX 5700 and you should be good to go for another long run .

I also run the GTX 1060 in my rig. I run the sim on high and as long as photogrammetry doesnt get shut off its absolutely beautiful. I tried for shiggles to run it on ultra and it just lagged and stuttered and eventually CTD. I have no feedback other than to back it down off ultra and stay in the high range. I knew my lappy was at the bottom range of the spectrum so I have never asked it to do something its not capable of.

Don't believe the advice you need new hardware. If it was running great before this last trivial update, then it should still run at the same performance.

Make sure your GamerTag is still the same. If you update under a different GT (that is to say with a different microsoft login user and password), then the update will hose the setup royally. You can see your user icon up in the top right window when MSFS starts up along with the GamerTag.

Something went haywire at the same time or near the same time as the tiny little update, and it is not your hardware that is the problem.

If it was running great before this last trivial update, then it should still run at the same performance.

I agree with this. While new hardware would help it run better, you should still be able to get the same performance you were getting before. Are you flying in the same area as you were before? Might try clearing out the rolling cache to make sure it hasn't been corrupted. Have you updated your GPU drivers lately? Are any other applications having troubles running?

I agree with crowdriver. A 2600K runs plenty fast enough for FS2020.

One thing I would check is to see if the 2600K is overclocked too much. MSFS2020 is a demanding application and if your CPU is overclocked too far MSFS might be working things a bit too hard.

The update may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edited by sfojimbo
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I think you miss the point. The speed of the I7 2600K isn't the problem. It is the slow DDR3 memory it uses, plus a slightly smaller cache. This program is very demanding of memory utilization. The GTX 1060 is not very strong. Just a little bump in memory demand may be enough to drop data usage down to noticeable stutters. It is also possible that the heat from running at ultra settings might have created problems with the GPU?? Edited by plainsman

You've said you've checked all the settings but....

After an update I had some serious quality issues which I tried everything, like you, to fix. Just about to try a re-install when I noticed the screen resolution setting in the graphics option had been set to something ridiculous. Changed it back to my proper settings and everything was once again fine.

The sim is still unstable; it seems any updates/changes are resulting in unwanted changes elsewhere in the programme which, not having access to every different combination of rig, the developers aren't catching every time.

Is that what the guy who builds your system for you told you?

The fact is that memory speed increases are incremental, they're at the limitations that physics allows and there haven't been any great breakthroughs in physics in the last decade or so. DDR 4 can be 70% faster, but it also has higher latency, so even the potential speed gain is south of 70%.

Or as someone who has measured and analyzed the difference summarizes:

Overall, comparing DDR4 to DDR3, there is little difference to separate the two. In a couple of small instances one is better than the other, but on those edge cases it might be prudent to say that we cannot make a final decision until we can synchronize the rest of the system, such as the size of CPU caches. When we can perform such tests, we will run some more numbers.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/8

BTW

When I have a plane flying, with either my 10700 or my old 2600K, the CPU usage is almost always below 35%. It's the graphics processor that's being overloaded.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Ok so I was looking at the game tag at least I think it was it showed my status as online and then below that it showed servers

Automatic west USA 28ms

East USA 85ms

North Europe 149ms

West Europe 170ms

Are these speeds and can you pick any of them

Southeast Asia 197ms