KELO (Ely, MN) to S28 (Dunseith, SD)

OK, the strange part of all this was the approach and landing at S28 right on the US/Canada border.

PART 1

fsscr000.jpg

fsscr001.jpg

fsscr002.jpg

fsscr003.jpg

fsscr004.jpg

fsscr005.jpg

fsscr006.jpg

fsscr007.jpg

fsscr008.jpg

Please see PART 2

Edited by DAVIDSTRAKA

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PART 2

fsscr009.jpg

Approaching the destination S28. Here comes the transformation, wait for it, wait for it....

fsscr010.jpg

OK, that spire just popped up out of nowhere

fsscr011.jpg

Another view

fsscr012.jpg

Dead ahead another one pops up! Glad it didn't pop up on the approach end

fsscr013.jpg

Short field landing on a narrow runway

fsscr014.jpg

fsscr015.jpg

fsscr016.jpg

I've got a bad feeling about this. Need to get out fast :eek:

fsscr017.jpg

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Langoliers!

Good movie!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, some crazy looking rock formations there. :eek: did custom agents from both countries want to know if those cans really contained Coke? :D

Yeah, they took them from me and drank all of them! Just diet.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks like the Donald got his wall after all. A little off the mark but, hey it's a wall. :confused: :p -- Bob

Maybe aliens?

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's a lot of cola in the front seat...

It is. I had a relief tube installed :cool:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another thought just brought up a question. Did you see the "wall" before or after you started doing coke? ;):p

Oh hell it was definitely after I started! :D

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your thread title is wrong. That isn't Dunseith, South Dakota, it's North Dakota. I know because I used to live near there in a very small town back in the 80s and have been to the Peace Gardens many times. Also, I have a cousin that lives there and in FSX I flew my F-22 to S28 many times.

Pity the terrain looks like that. I don't understand why. There is some "mountains" (hills by Colorado standards) and some lakes.

Really nice route David, I enjoyed that, thanks!

That terrain spire reminds me of the tracks in Stunt Car Racer (Geoff Crammond).

The joys of being an 80s Kid!

Cheers

Dom

Thanks Dom! First I heard of that game.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Dom! First I heard of that game.

Oh...I lost many an evening after school playing this!

Geoff Crammond went on to create one of the best F1 driving simulators of all time a few years later. Being a major fan of Formula One (and going to school with one of the drivers)...I lapped it up (pun intended) :-)

Cheers

Dom

I like the trip David! Hope your eye is recuperating nicely!

Dunseith, ND is on the south edge of the Turtle Mountains, but they don't look like that, I suspect some elevation errors.

Here are two shots from up in the mountains down to the surrounding plains. From the highest point in the middle to the plains is only about 700 feet. There certainly are not those precipitous cliffs. They are sort of forested (wooded) but not really large trees.

TurtleMts2.jpg

TurtleMt1.jpg

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Oh...I lost many an evening after school playing this!

Geoff Crammond went on to create one of the best F1 driving simulators of all time a few years later. Being a major fan of Formula One (and going to school with one of the drivers)...I lapped it up (pun intended) :-)

Cheers

Dom

Yes, I never tried any racing sim, but I do remember hearing of Geoff Crammond amongst sports car racers who did!

Who did you go to school with??

Personally, I raced sports cars and motorcycles till my chopper got shot down in Vietnam and broke my neck. I never "gamed" of any sort until my US Veterans Administration nut doctor advised me to "sim" flying over Vietnam and experience not getting shot at there as a way to reduce my PTSD. It worked so well and I enjoyed so much I've flown with sims ever since!!

I loved going to F-1 races in the US and Canada as a photographer for years! My local paper was able to get me certified photographers' I'd with AP and I could go many places at the tracks where the "public" wasn't allowed. I once even had a very interesting about fifteen minute private chat with Jackie Stewart.

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I like the trip David! Hope your eye is recuperating nicely!

Dunseith, ND is on the south edge of the Turtle Mountains, but they don't look like that, I suspect some elevation errors.

Here are two shots from up in the mountains down to the surrounding plains. From the highest point in the middle to the plains is only about 700 feet. There certainly are not those precipitous cliffs. They are sort of forested (wooded) but not really large trees.

Thanks! The eye is doing great. Can’t wait until I get the right one done.

Definitely some elevation errors but I like the pictures and explanation of the territory. Thanks!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]