A Foggy Landing in St. Johns (CYYT)

BillD22

Here are some shots showing off some of the weather effects + exterior, and wing view details of the A320 in FS2020.

In this series an Air Canada A320neo is on approach to runway 29 at St. Johns International Airport (CYYT), Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The weather was the current CYYT weather for earlier today with some fog banks rolling in off the ocean.

This kind of weather is typical for coastal locations in Newfoundland. Judging from the first and second wing shots I think FS2020 has some of the best and most realistic depictions of low clouds and fog like those here that's been seen in a sim so far.

See what you think.

Inbound with low lying fog banks are on either side of the airport. The runway 29 approach lights & runway are just visible straight ahead of the airplane at the tip of the left fog bank

Inbound1.jpg

Approaching the coastline

Inbound2.jpg

Closer views of the coastal fog.

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

Over the runway threshold

Threshhold.jpg

Touchdown

Touchdown.jpg

Spoilers deployed

Spoilers.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Love the low hanging fog! First actual landing I’ve seen anyone do in MSFS :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Love the low hanging fog! First actual landing I’ve seen anyone do in MSFS :pilot:

Good point!! As a not "Firster," I've wondered about that as well!!?? Is MSFS that difficult to fly? If so why?? As a RW pilot I have to wonder Is the software not accurately evolved as a true sim yet? I've already read from the Airplane Owners And Pilots Association that this isn't a true pilot training product compared to other sim products on the market.

Does their version of "flying" relate in any way to RW flying or is it just another online game they hope to rent to xboxers like the "flightsim" they tried and failed to rent about three years ago?

The last point, based upon my discs bought over ten years ago and the software I've bought and downloaded and have on my hard

drives from sources as FSX P3D and ORBX is, I own that software. And yes, it takes up a bunch of hard drive space but it is still my software! BTW: Hard drives are truly cheap now!;)

Why would anyone choose to pay full purchase price to rent an online program that may be cancelled tomorrow that they could buy and own without fear of being cancelled?

And yes, I did read Lokee's post about operating a server to provide as much data as the new software displays. But what value will any of that data be when, not if, Microsoft decides this format, like many other formats they've already cancelled doesn't provide the required short term Return On Investment!!

I agree 100% about the amount of data now presented online. I also know and understand that Mircrosoft has never wasted a moment cancelling any project that didn't provide immediate profits!

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

It's a mausey day all right b'y. Stay where you're to 'till I comes where you're at.

We'll fire up a scoff and get ye' Screeched in b'y. I knows you're not stun.

You can look all that up in your Newfy to English dictionary. :p -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Thanks for all the good words Jan, Michael, Plainsman, Bob, and Larry

It's a mausey day all right b'y. Stay where you're to 'till I comes where you're at.

We'll fire up a scoff and get ye' Screeched in b'y. I knows you're not stun.

You can look all that up in your Newfy to English dictionary. :p -- Bob

Bob: There was a time when I actually could have understood that without a dictionary as a result of being at Argentia, Newfoundland back in the day when it was a U.S. naval air station. My Newfys gotten a little rusty now. :confused: