Obtaining MSFS2020 DVD

Seems to me this question has come up enough times that MS should be doing something about it, or at least considering it.

The download is what's stopping me from having this sim. I've checked every angle and it's just not possible for me to download it. Had every MS flight simulator since FS2002 and three iterations of P3D, but I can't have FS2020.

Speed test shows 25 mbps, although maybe not ideal, speed isn't the problem, the data cap is. I checked into upgrading my plan (satellite), the best they do is 50 Gb during the off-peak and another 50 Gb on-peak, so 100 Gb/month and the price tag on that is $130 USD. I can buy more data, they'll sell me an additional 25 Gb for $75 USD.

Supposedly the entire installation requires about 150 Gb, so assuming I can downgrade my service plan again after the download, and assuming it all goes off without a hitch (which it won't - I'll guarantee you that), I'm looking at $280 USD just to download this damn sim. I'm not paying it, no way in h*ll.

There's no cell service where I live, no fiber, I'm still waiting for friggin' DSL through the phone line circa 2005, lol. Satellite's the only option. Been here 30 years - Al Gore was just inventing the internet when I bought the place, I'm not going anywhere over an internet connection or a sim.

It would be so simple for MS to split this download up into 10-20 Gb chunks, I could work on it for three months if I have to and when I have all the pieces I could install the damn thing. LM does this, why is MS so daft about it? FFS, they could at least make it so I could take a USB drive to the library or something, download it, bring it home, and install it - but you can't do that either from what I understand!

How about selling it on a USB stick or an SSD? I just bought a Tb SSD for around $100 bucks and it wasn't the cheapest one I could find either. I'd gladly buy another one with the sim loaded on it if it were available, the $100 bucks is dirt cheap compared to what it'd cost me to download it and I'd gain so drive space for addons.

I just don't get the thought process behind this, maybe there wasn't one.

I know Aerosoft are only supplying it on disc to Europe, but surely there must be other sources. I don’t know if Amazon UK would ship it to the US but they are certainly selling it over here (albeit at an inflated price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-2020-Premium/dp/B08D193VQT

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I bought the Premium Deluxe from Simmarket to USA, but after 10 days, they still didn't ship it (They are no longer showing this option BTW). Was checking out the Aerosoft forums and there were reports of read errors with some of the disks so I cancelled the order.

Simmarket is STILL showing they will ship to USA with the Standard editon...

https://secure.simmarket.com/msfs-simulator-page-1.chtml

Good luck with that.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

The download is what's stopping me from having this sim. I've checked every angle and it's just not possible for me to download it. Had every MS flight simulator since FS2002 and three iterations of P3D, but I can't have FS2020.

Jim, this is just a thought, but is there any way you could take your PC to a relative's or buddy's place and download the sim over their internet?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim, yeah I thought about that but it's a bit of a PIA and my relatives are too, my buddies are all dead :) .

There's another provider in town with fiber (they can't reach me where I live though, already tried that), I know the guy that owns it, I was thinking about asking him what he'd charge me to bring the PC to his office and set it up long enough to download the new sim. I worked for his Dad years ago in an aviation-related job so he might be receptive to letting me do that - especially if I let him fly it, lol. I think I might wait for a couple patches from Asobo first though so maybe I won't need to update again the minute I get home with it. Also I'm still puzzling over whether I should attempt to run FS2020 on ole' Bessie here or build a whole new machine for it. Be really nice to be able to try it out first and see how it does, ahem... :rolleyes:

Very wise to wait until the patches or even a service pack are released - your initial download should include them as standard.

Another thought I've had is that if you're going for a new PC, maybe have it built for you and request the sim to be installed by the shop as well?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64