Allegiant Flight #26: Las Vegas to Rockford

One of the things that really interested me with Simbitworld's 'A Pilot's Life' was that it would generate a schedule for you so you didn't have to worry about deciding where you wanted to fly next, and and so you could explore airports that you normally wouldn't fly to. Such is the case today as we fly from Las Vegas to Rockford, which is about 90 miles west of Chicago. Since I was "hired" by Allegiant, I'll be doing a lot of flying out of Las Vegas, so I thought FSDreamTeam's KLAS scenery would be a good investment, and I wasn't wrong.

AAY26_1.jpg

Loading up at Gate A12 and getting ready for our 2:55pm departure

AAY26_2.jpg

Pushing back a few minutes early which is never a bad thing

AAY26_3.jpg

Climbing off of 8L leaving all of the bad decisions everyone made in Vegas behind

AAY26_4.jpg

FO's view of the Colorado River as we continue the climb

AAY26_5.jpg

Cruising at FL350 as we pass over Colorado

AAY26_6.jpg

Passing Omaha, Nebraska

AAY26_7.jpg

Descending over a cloudy Illinois

AAY26_8.jpg

Cloudy and bumpy arrival tonight

AAY26_9.jpg

On final for runway 25. The dusk arrival didn't disappoint

AAY26_10.jpg

After a bumpy approach and an even bumpier landing, I have a feeling these folks will be flying Southwest or United on their next trip to the Chicago area

Thanks for viewing!

Ryzen 5 3600X | RTX 2060 | 32 GB 3200 G.Skill RAM | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 SSD

Great flight! No frills airline but some fantastic shots. :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Beautiful set of the A320 and Vegas!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Great shots!! And committing to an airline as well!

Speaking of leaving bad decisions behind. Back in the '60's, yes I'm truly that damn old, the cabbies in Vegas and Reno would pick you up at the airport and drive you to town, then settle up for your fare. But when leaving town you had to pay in advance in cash, before they'd start the trip.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I believe that's an actual schedule, too. Allegiant used to fly out of my local airport here of KFNL to KLAS, but they stopped and all I know was that they complained about lack of a tower. Well, now this airport is the first to get a virtual control tower. Not sure when this will roll out though.

Michael, I'm sure those cabbies had to deal with a lot of unpaid fares before developing that process, lol!

The program I'm using has up to date schedules, and a quick look at Flight Aware shows it's still an active route with Allegiant. I know ULCC's often try to fly to the cheaper airports to keep costs down, but I am very surprised to see just how many secondary and regional airports Allegiant flies to compared to some of the others like Spirit and Frontier. I have a schedule of 12 flights so far, and the only main airport on the schedule is Las Vegas. Otherwise it's all smaller regional airports.

Ryzen 5 3600X | RTX 2060 | 32 GB 3200 G.Skill RAM | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 SSD

I believe that's an actual schedule, too. Allegiant used to fly out of my local airport here of KFNL to KLAS, but they stopped and all I know was that they complained about lack of a tower. Well, now this airport is the first to get a virtual control tower. Not sure when this will roll out though.

Allegiant flies to lesser known airports in real life. They started with the MD-80’s and now fly the Airbus. I live in Vegas so I see them (and Southwest) all the time.

By the way, Allegiant doesn’t fly out of Vegas on Tuesdays. That’s their maintenance day.

Great shots man!!

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I'm glad they retired the MD-80. I wanted to take an Allegiant to Vegas one day, but part of me was like, "this is when the jack screw fails the moment I fly an MD-80 for the first time." LOL Though, I don't think that mishap has ever happened in decades.

I wonder if FedEx still flies the MD-80? I believe they too use the Airbus and so does Amazon I reckon. Just not sure if FedEx finally got rid of that old bird yet as well or not.

On an unrelated note. Here in the U.S. I think we have a serious lack in forest fire fighting capability pertaining to firefighting aircraft. As it stands now, a good majority of what we use is old WWII crap that should be in museums or kept up for historical Summer flights at local GA airports. Now that the 747 is retired and rather than letting that aircraft rot in a bone yard or disassembled, they should take at least ten to fifteen to be repurposed for firefighting capability. And that goes for the MD-80 as well if it's possible to fly low and slow.

There's a fire here burning away and maybe a few others and everyday I can smell it come down the mountains. It's very potent and stinks to high hell and I'm thinking we need some 747s over there! Yes, there's Evergreen, but I heard they are far from great. We need more modern aircraft owned and operated from the state or federal level. Of course there's the logistics of a fleet like this. Where do you house them all? I'm thinking somewhere in the western part of the U.S. where forest fires tend to happen. Either at a new designated airport here in Colorado or possibility Nevada or even New Mexico. I'd apt for a dry, hot climate since this weather helps for the upkeep. Nevada or Arizona would be a wise idea seen as how California is always a tinder box.

It's an idea I have and I know it will be costly, but so too are massive forest fires. In terms of a monetary, ecosystem, visitor, and most of all, possible cost of lives. If I were president or even a governor I'd make this one of my personal agendas to get the ball rolling for more modern firefighting aircraft ability. I've read Canada has us beat in this department, yet this is the United States for God sakes! We can spend billions and now the word du jour is trillions and can't do what is exactly needed. Unreal!

#sudo -end rant

The jack screw fear is legit, although like you said, the Alaska Airlines disaster happened in 2000, and since then maintenance procedures and the screw itself were corrected. (Sadly, it always takes a major disaster for change to be implemented).

I see Fedex and UPS planes and they’re mostly the 757 and 767’s now. FedEx is slowly retiring their MD-11’s.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Oh, FedEx used MD-11's. Thought they were 80's.

Yeah, too the point of air disasters creating change, such is the case as we now know for the Max. Why Boeing made such an unstable plane from the begin with aI don't understand. That's the reason why there's that mechanism (for which I can't remember its name now) to prevent stalls I believe. However, I think in large part, this new mechanism for the Max is more about proper pilot training then anything. Where was it? India where they nose dived that sucker? Had they had the proper training it more than likely wouldn't have happened.

Edit-

And how be damned. The auto parsed link for the word MD-11 brings up this.