Yes, I uninstalled the other flightsim

As soon as the release date last month was announced, and following massive videos from youtubers showing its features, i posted thoughts about uninstalling the current flightsim (be it P3dv4, P3dv5, Xp11 or Fsx whichever you use). With all its paywares and enhancements through a decade.

At first I decided not to uninstall so I could still fly until the release date. But that didn't happen.

Every time I pressed the exe file to make a flight....the dream of a much better sim a few weeks away, naaa...closed the sim, Im not in the mood for flying with my mind set in the new one.

All those settings, tweaks, control shortcuts...want to prepare my mind for a fresh start.

I was happy, felt better, besides it freed nearly 300gb of space. Aug 18th will be the first day of a new flightsim era

And enough of those teasers, reviews and videos showing MSFS2020

With 4 days to go, will soon be flying myself and taking videos that i will send to my non-flightsim relatives and friends, who despite the frenzy dont even know such a flightsim exists

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Way to go :)

I’ve been using the Alpha/Beta since February but I still have XP11, P3D & FSX installed, although I haven’t really used any of them for months (only FSX to compare)

Looking forward to Tuesday as I’m sure many of us are

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

As soon as the release date last month was announced, and following massive videos from youtubers showing its features, i posted thoughts about uninstalling the current flightsim (be it P3dv4, P3dv5, Xp11 or Fsx whichever you use). With all its paywares and enhancements through a decade.

At first I decided not to uninstall so I could still fly until the release date. But that didn't happen.

Every time I pressed the exe file to make a flight....the dream of a much better sim a few weeks away, naaa...closed the sim, Im not in the mood for flying with my mind set in the new one.

All those settings, tweaks, control shortcuts...want to prepare my mind for a fresh start.

I was happy, felt better, besides it freed nearly 300gb of space. Aug 18th will be the first day of a new flightsim era

And enough of those teasers, reviews and videos showing MSFS2020

With 4 days to go, will soon be flying myself and taking videos that i will send to my non-flightsim relatives and friends, who despite the frenzy dont even know such a flightsim exists

Um, yay you?

Considering I waited 3 years after FSX was released before I finally purchased it, I’m not doing anything of the sort.

New games usually come out with bugs/issues until a patch or two. (SP 1 and 2, anybody??) plus, flying default non-airlines, Generic airports, etc just isn’t my thing. I have way too many cool ass addons in FSX to just give them up like that. Not to mention I still use W7 and don’t feel like upgrading to 10 right now, and dealing with those issues as well.

So while the vids on YouTube look great, I’m a patient guy.

Edited by kingnorris
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

i got my FSX copy in 2006, as soon as released, and ported all my Fs2004 planes to it without problems, just minor changes in the panel.cfg in some cases. Many people complained but it was usually people with no knowledge of how to handle folders manually or edit files. I was a developper of some freewares in fs9 but with the new xml coding stopped.

Never went back to FS2004, and that has been since FS95, the first payable version.

Surely fixes will be needed, but thats part of the fun, going thru them, searching for clues and in the meantime fly in areas or planes where fixes arent needed.

Strange you need to stick to Win7 since its a free upgrade.

I customize my Windows10 and dont let it think for

itself in the same way as previous versions.

And if a program is not 64bit, its old and i dont need it, with better alternatives

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I don’t need to stick with W7, it’s my choice.

After reading about issues others had with W10 and FSX Not playing nice together, I said “no thanks”.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

It’s your choice, but I’ve had Windows 10 for some time now & FSX works fine (not that I really use FSX much nowadays)

I think people who have had problems are those with the acceleration pack, which I never bought.

Still, who will want to use FSX after the 18th? :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Already binned XP11.

May keep FSX installed in case there is some sort of in house means of transferring aircraft, but can't see me going back to it. I'm sure even on low to medium settings FS2020 is going to kick its posterior. And I had a whole load of FSX payware that doesn't run well (or at all) in the combination of Win 10 and Steam Edition. Clean slate and start fresh.

Vern.

You guys DUMPING your old stuff make me CRINGE!

I try not to resist new technology, but thought Windows 10 had no character compared to Windows 7. When Flight Simulator 2020 was announced, I reluctantly purchased a new boxed Windows 10 Pro retail, NOT upgrade my beloved Windows 7 X64 Ultimate and there was NO WAY IN HELL I would dump my older games.

I spent a few bucks and bought two dual NVMe carriers that I swap out with a single thumbscrew.

Carrier 1 has Windows 7 Ultimate with ALL my cherished legacy games with mods (FSX with tons of scenery and aircraft, FS9, FS2K, GTA V, various racing games, UT III, Steam folder full of games too numerous to list, etc, etc.)

AND

Carrier 2 has Windows 10 Pro with currently only 3 games (P3Dv5, a new Steam folder with different account starting with F1 2020 and waiting for FS2020).

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I have FSX-SE and some payware but am very much looking forward to August 18th. I mostly play DCS but lately I've just felt like flying from Point A to Point B, which is essentially what we all do in the civilian sims. I like flying the airliners mostly as learning them and landing them is quite a challenge for a civilian newbie like myself. I may keep FSX installed since I have free space available but I'll probably forget all about it after Aug 18.

We shall see though.

I only use XP11 and I will definitely hang onto XP11 because there are a couple of aircraft that I know will be the best available for the home simulator. Aerobask Falcon 8X and FlyJSim Q4XP

Looking much forward to FS2020 for the scenery and VFR stuff. But it will be some time before we get our hands on top level entry a/c developed for 2020 by the 3rd parties.

My P3D is already gone and X Plane 11 will be going bye bye soon! Have really got tired Austin's unwillingness to fix certain issues. I will see what X plane 12 has to offer when available.

Am really looking forward o MSFS and its future!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

I don’t need to stick with W7, it’s my choice.

After reading about issues others had with W10 and FSX Not playing nice together, I said “no thanks”.

I was in the same boat, philosophically, as you are today. I was running FSX under a wonderful, stable W7, and had no intentions to upgrade to W10. As it would be, I created my own mess by accidentally electrically nuking my W7 PC and if I wanted to keep flying with FSX, it was going to have to be on a system with W10 whether I liked it or not. So keeping in mind that FS 2020 was coming, I ordered a HP Omen Obelisk with hardware to hopefully meet the needs of the new sim. I was very concerned that FSX would not install or run properly under W10 having read various accounts of problems encountered by some simmers, but my choices were zero. Try it or forget it, but the latter was not going to fly (no pun intended) as flight simming is in my blood. So the W10 Omen arrived and I have to say that FSX installed with out a hitch and has run perfectly on W10. Of note, I did the W7 to W10 free upgrade and could not get FSX to install, at all. So I wonder if there are differences between an upgrade and a clean new OS install. I don't know. Just wondering. All I can say, it has worked for me.

You guys DUMPING your old stuff make me CRINGE!

I try not to resist new technology, but thought Windows 10 had no character compared to Windows 7. When Flight Simulator 2020 was announced, I reluctantly purchased a new boxed Windows 10 Pro retail, NOT upgrade my beloved Windows 7 X64 Ultimate and there was NO WAY IN HELL I would dump my older games.

I spent a few bucks and bought two dual NVMe carriers that I swap out with a single thumbscrew.

Carrier 1 has Windows 7 Ultimate with ALL my cherished legacy games with mods (FSX with tons of scenery and aircraft, FS9, FS2K, GTA V, various racing games, UT III, Steam folder full of games too numerous to list, etc, etc.)

AND

Carrier 2 has Windows 10 Pro with currently only 3 games (P3Dv5, a new Steam folder with different account starting with F1 2020 and waiting for FS2020).

That’s it with me too.

I have some classic games I still play that came out long before W10 was even in development. To change now would make those games obsolete.

“What are NVMe carriers?

They are PCIE cards which enable you to install M.2 NVMe drives if your motherboard doesn’t have M.2 slots already

I discovered that mine does have two slots & bought an M.2 NVMe drive just a week or two ago. They are much faster than SSD drives

Regards

Steve

\

Never went back to FS2004, and that has been since FS95, the first payable version.

\

I call going to FSX from FS9 'going back' after using FSX on and off for a decade. Horrible version that should never have been released.

Too many awesome add-ons, pay and free (still being released) to move from FS9.

I'm with the majority on this one. MSFS will need 3-5 years before a decision is made if its worth it.

“ spent a few bucks and bought two dual NVMe carriers”.

What are NVMe carriers?

Ableconn PEXM2-130.jpg

Check your CPU specs for available PCIe lanes. You would need 20 lanes minimum. GPU uses 16, a single NVMe carrier needs 4 lanes. This dual carrier needs 8 lanes so you would need 24 lanes.

If your M/B does not have a M.2 slot, most likely a add in carrier would NOT be bootable, but you could use it for a very fast data drive. My motherboard has a M.2 slot but only max of speed of 1000 MBps. Fortunalty I have BIOS support for NVMe so the carrier is bootable.

NVMe Speed Comparison.jpg

In MBps

Edited by dogdish
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

[ATTACH=CONFIG]220896[/ATTACH]

Check your CPU specs for available PCIe lanes. You would need 20 lanes minimum. GPU uses 16, a single NVMe carrier needs 4 lanes. This dual carrier needs 8 lanes so you would need 24 lanes.

If your M/B does not have a M.2 slot, most likely a add in carrier would NOT be bootable, but you could use it for a very fast data drive. My motherboard has a M.2 slot but only max of speed of 10Gb/s. Fortunalty I have BIOS support for NVMe so the carrier is bootable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]220897[/ATTACH]

I’m good with computers, but not THAT good... that reads like a foreign language to me.. lol