Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Am I Smart to Buy This Hardware For MSFS 2020?

Don't do anything. Yet. There are stories of it running on lower spec machines than was thought possible. I'm just going to buy it and then see how it runs on here before going out splashing cash. Early days.

When I looked around the web for reviews and advice about 1 TB SSDs, I found a number of favorable articles about the Addlink S70 MVNe 1 TB SSD. In many instances it matched or topped the most popular SSDs (WD, Samsung) in various important areas. Please check out the link below to the PCWorld article (typical) and let me know if I'm missing something, or should the S70 be my 1 TB SSD choice?...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/34058...sd-review.html

Lee Graves

Quote Originally Posted by leegra View Post
    When I looked around the web for reviews and advice about 1 TB SSDs, I found a number of favorable articles about the Addlink S70 MVNe 1 TB SSD. In many instances it matched or topped the most popular SSDs (WD, Samsung) in various important areas. Please check out the link below to the PCWorld article (typical) and let me know if I'm missing something, or should the S70 be my 1 TB SSD choice?...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/34058...sd-review.html

Lee Graves
    On paper it all looks good. They include a 512mb cache which a lot of the cheaper SSD's skimp on, 3D NAND technology, and if their claims of total writes are true then theses SSD's will last a long time.

I find it very hard to believe that they could even come close to the performance of Samsung EVO SSD's for the very simply reason that Samsung SSD's come with a huge cache in comparison.
    12 GB for 250 GB model, 22 GB for 500 GB model, 42 GB for 1 TB model and 78 GB for 2/4 TB. Compare the paltry 512mb offered by Addlink to the truly massive 42GB offered by Samsung and you can clearly see what Samsung EVO's are considered the best that money can buy, but obviously at a much more hefty cost. The flip side to that is how often will you be writing more than 512mb of data to your drive at any one time? Very rarely, except for the occasional software install.

Having said that there are only two manufactures of the actual memory chips used by all SSD's on the market, Samsung and Hynix , both proven to be very reliable.
    The difference between the different brands of SSD's really comes down to three things, the amount of onboard cache, whether they are 3D NAND or not (3D NAND being better, cheaper budget SSD do not use it), and the level of support provided after sale.

My reluctance to endorse the Addlink SSD would simply be down to after sales support, and the fact that they are a 'new kid on the block' and to a large extent an unknown quantity. Personally I had never heard of them before your post and I have been in the IT industry for decades. If their after sales is good then they look like a company that will do well with the performance they are offering.

Personally I would go with a Sabrent Rocket SSD which I think you will find is cheaper both in the UK and US, has equal or better performance. has great after sales support, are a known brand that has been tried and tested and are a favourite of PC builder enthusiasts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LGF54...ogi&th=1&psc=1

But given the specs of the SSD you posted a link for, you will not be disappointed by the performance of that SSD if you buy it.
    Last edited by efanton; 08-05-2020 at 04:53 PM.

My thanks EFANTON, for your comprehensive and detailed analysis. All things considered, I'm more comfortable going with the
    Sabrent Rocket. Sabrent is a known, established company; while Addlink is still an unknown quanity...Thanks again, for helping me...

Lee Graves

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by efanton View Post
    Having said that there are only two manufactures of the actual memory chips used by all SSD's on the market, Samsung and Hynix.
    I use Crucial products and all of them use Micron technology. So there's a third. https://www.crucial.com/support/arti...-manufacturers

As to the cache thing, I find that to be a little odd about needing it at all from the standpoint of a flash-based memory chip. The data being written and read to the memory in of its self is already going to be as fast as a cache that uses the same memory chip/s. Also, and at least this is true for my Crucial SSD, in its software I can enable something that Crucial calls "Momentum Cache." This in effect takes a portion of your SSD storage and uses it like a page file of sorts. When I have it on my HDD speed tests are through the roof because of it. It's really an artificial number, but it shows that from a software perspective a "cache" can be created with no hardware needed. Never mind the aforementioned statement on how I think a cache for an already flash-based medium is kinda pointless. I just don't understand how that would change IOPS or anything no matter how massive this "cache" is.

Here's some more Info. on this budget M.2 drive. https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/addlink-s70
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    Also, and at least this is true for my Crucial SSD, in its software I can enable something that Crucial calls "Momentum Cache." This in effect takes a portion of your SSD storage and uses it like a page file of sorts. When I have it on my HDD speed tests are through the roof because of it.
    Thanks for the tip!

Planned on using my 10Tb HDD as a scenery cache and that would really speed it up. Wear the hell outta of a poor ssd though but they are cheap enough now to make the sacrifice for performance.

Found this link that said that software can be made to work with any ssd. I have a Crucial MX100 I use for music files to initialize it.

https://www.thessdreview.com/daily-n...-any-nvme-ssd/
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

7. Default

Just be warned that you should have a UPS power backup for the computer otherwise if there's an abrupt power loss you could have data corruption.

I use a Cyberpower UPS with pure sine wave and is meant for active PSUs. You need to make sure you have a UPS that is meant for your PSU if it's an active PSU. If the UPS is not pure sine wave, don't ever connect a surge protector strip to the UPS. If the UPS kicks in from a power loss, the surge protector could start fire from lack of a pure sine wave.

Just food for thought in case you or anyone else reads this.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

8. Default

For a scenery cache that's just temporary data, I'm not going to worry about a UPS. However I do pray when ever I flash hardware that I don't get a brownout/blackout!
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I am about to build following configuration in order to run MSFS 2020 smoothly...but I hope you guys can give me some feedback/comments/suggestions...

Intel® Core™ i5-9600KF - 6 Cores
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000
    NVIDIA RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
    SSD 500GB Crucial MX500

Many thanks in advance!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3