Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MSFS PC Specs

1. Default

I think those are $ amounts spent, maybe. I don't have that kind of $ to spend. I am very blessed to have my system, now. I waited nearly 10 years for it, too (I don't buy computers often).
    Last edited by Timberleaf; 04-29-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    Timberleaf
    Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c
    "One man's chop is another man's turbulence"

Quote Originally Posted by Timberleaf View Post
    I think those are $ amounts spent, maybe. I don't have that kind of $ to spend. I am very blessed to have what is in my hands, now.
    I don't think so, I looked up several of the items and none sell for anywhere close to those numbers. All are a small fraction. One example, that motherboard sells on Amazon for about $110 USD

"Assuming" we're talking USD. Pound Sterling or Euros, and not lira. lol
    Last edited by chicagorandy; 04-29-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

"Measure twice, cut once, curse, add shims."

Not as bad as I thought. My current rig is quite old - I7 4770 with 8Gb of RAM and a GTX 1050 2Gb GPU.

I'm in the process of putting in an additional 8Gb of RAM (when it arrives from Amazon) which puts that in the mid range. Should have done that a while back TBH, as 8Gb is not really adequate these days particularly under Win 10 (box was originally bought back in win 7 days).

Not sure where the CPU ranks in terms of those listed.

It looks like the GPU will be the Achilles Heel. The 1050 is surprisingly low rated not even a match for the 770 let alone the 970 which are the minimum and mid range options. (I figured that when fallout 4 actually ran worse than with my old 950 card!). A 1650 Super looks like the best option but will almost certainly come with the need to purchase a new PSU as I have a feeling the one fitted by the builder is a standard 300 - 350 watt one just enough to power the case as supplied.

Still it's quite encouraging and should be possible to get something going with the sim for a little bit of outlay.
    Vern.

4. Default

I hope that you can select a different drive for the scenery cache then the sim installation. Would like to permanently download the whole US west coast to a WD Gold hard drive since that's where I like to fly.

Other question is how many Tb\s that would require ???
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Logitech M570/K800 Trackball/Keyboard, Win 7 64 Ultimate/10 Pro

Can't answer the scenery cache location, though I would expect some sort of configuration.

As for a drive to use for the cache, a nice, large SSD would work well.

https://www.techradar.com/news/this-...-normal-laptop

6. Default

That thing will probably cost $1,000.00 + !!!

I was thinking maybe a WD Gold 10, 12, or 14Tb hard drive for scenery.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Logitech M570/K800 Trackball/Keyboard, Win 7 64 Ultimate/10 Pro

7. Default

Looks like my computer will do the trick, and I'll be between the recommended and optimal configs, on top of that! That's a relief, I'd have been quite annoyed if my recently bought computer wouldn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Can't answer the scenery cache location, though I would expect some sort of configuration.

As for a drive to use for the cache, a nice, large SSD would work well.

https://www.techradar.com/news/this-...-normal-laptop
    I was reading on Reddit that the Scenery is going to be 2Petabytes (PB) so correct me if I'm wrong but that's 2,000TB. So if someone wanted to cache the USA I reckon your looking at, considering the US is 6% of the worlds land mass, about 120TB. That's a lot of hard drives!! I suppose you could get the Nimbus Data 100TB SSD. It's a steal at $50K a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by fx48215 View Post
    I was reading on Reddit that the Scenery is going to be 2Petabytes (PB) so correct me if I'm wrong but that's 2,000TB.
    The 2 PB number refers to the raw data they start with to generate the scenery, not the final output that will be streamed to end users. So while the final amount of scenery data will be quite large, it won't be measured in petabytes.

10. Default

So for example I can cover my home state with Orbx NRM and CRM for about 7 gigs of bandwidth and $50-ish bucks if I buy it on sale. Actually I did that in 2015, both for $37.70, and they've given me free updates for 3 new sim versions since the initial purchase. I hate to be cynical but Orbx put a lot of work into those two regions and most of it wasn't automated, where are we now that some AI and some computer processing power can replace a couple years of hard work by a group of half a dozen or so dedicated developers working 18 hrs/day for a year? Having some problems with that. What I'm getting is this'll be a 500 Gb download/caching exercise for something that isn't much better than default FSX - but it'll have procedural grass.

I live in Idaho BTW, the forgotten state. Boise might be interesting, the armpit of the state, everything else is gonna be really generic I'm thinking.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast