York UK and the Minster (now closed because of COVID-19)

Since York Minster in the UK and many gathering places all over the world are closed due to the COVID-19, I thought we'd see if we could find it again in our sim. The closest airport to the City of York is called Rufforth Airfield. So for convenience we'll takeoff from there and see what we can see.

Michael

Departing Tower View.jpg

Head On.jpg

180 Climbout.jpg

Golf Course.jpg

Approach Minster.jpg

Minster on Right.jpg

Over Minster.jpg

Leave Minster.jpg

Touchdown.jpg

last.jpg

The City of York is also the home of the British Railway Musuem, which has a working steam powered round-house wheel, Queen Victorias' Train, etc. They also have one of the most complete original city walls in the world, much of which you can still walk on and like The Shambles, much more to see.. So it's worth the stop next time you're in the area!!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

So in shots 7 & 8 is the railway museum?

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So in shots 7 & 8 is the railway museum?

The main interest is the Minster itself. Considering how many rail terminals look similar to a cathedral, I can see your question. The Minster is the white building in distinctive cathedral shape in many of those shots. However the railway museum is very near there as well. Which is why we always stay in that area. Both the Minster and the museum are in easy walking distance.

Sadly the rail museum is only identified, and I'll try to remember to show that tomorrow, by all the empty "rail lines" leading up to it. IMO, rail-lines and trains are the worst depicted items in this sim concept.

Michael

Man, I'd love to visit in the RW.

Great shots. Looks like a perfect flight plan and a little internet visit. Thanks for the post Michael!

Actually one year Molly and I attended an evening Christmas Eve service inside the Minster!! It was wonderful, but since they have no heat, the only warmth was from the crowd. :eek: And after about two plus hours of sitting, it got pretty cold! And frankly at our age, I'm not sure either of us could hold out much longer without the use of a loo, which they also didn't have available to the public.

BTW: I apologize that my shots seemed to be taken from so far away!! By the time I reduced the picture size to get below the 480 limit, you almost couldn't see what I was looking at. I mostly use ORBX scenery. So in a congested area like that there is so much detail it's hugely difficult to get small enough to be published. :eek::eek:

I'm totally grateful to have this site free for our use!! But considering the detail now out there, it's tough to get scenery small enough to post and show anything!

Michael