Change ATC Altimeter Call Outs to QNH

c.r36156636

Hi all I know this has been put up on here a few times now and I’ve read through several threads saying you can change FSX to give QNH (1013) instead of the Altimeter inches of mercury (2992). Apparently it can be done without an external ATC add on but I’ve also noticed that many people have also said that it doesn’t work. So was wondering if anyone can give a definitive answer on how to do this if possible please. Sorry for duplicating a thread but I’m just going round in circles on old threads. Thanks !
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8-4.4GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz RAM, 1TB Kingston NV1 SSD, 1TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD, 240GB Maxtor Z1 2.5" SSD, MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT.

You can change the units of measure from U.S. to metric in the FSX general settings screen, BUT the PFD or altimeter gauge code must include both options in order to display them, and very few actually do.

If you enable Cockpit Tool Tips in the FSX settings, placing your cursor over the altimeter or standby altimeter adjuster knob will usually display the QNH reading.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Good info, Tim, but the OP wanted ATC to announce the altimeter in QNH instead of inches in length....err... of Mercury! No can do with deflat ATC.

Thanks for clearing that up ! Could you recommend a good ATC addon ? I’ve seen different reviews for various different ones several of which I can’t find links to the product for anymore.

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8-4.4GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz RAM, 1TB Kingston NV1 SSD, 1TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD, 240GB Maxtor Z1 2.5" SSD, MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT.

I haven't used the default ATC for years so I'm not sure whether the U.S or Metric measurement system works or not! I do know that in Radar Contact (which is now freeware!) it certainly does work, but it will only use the U.S. system within the U.S., and the metric system in Europe for example. The default ATC may work in the same way, if at all?

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I have tried using Radar Contact before but couldn’t get it to work so lost my patience with it and got rid of it.

I have tried using Radar Contact before but couldn’t get it to work so lost my patience with it and got rid of it.

Radar Contact is not, and never was sold as a weather engine.

For that you need Active Sky or Environment Force, or one of the freeware alternatives...

Radar Contact is not, and never was sold as a weather engine.

For that you need Active Sky or Environment Force, or one of the freeware alternatives...

Who mentioned weather engines? This thread is about the FSX default ATC baro callouts. Pay attention at the back, please. ;)

Turns out that you can get Default ATC to use QNH

QNH.jpg

Edited by c.r36156636

Care to tells how?

In settings i've set Units of measurements to "Hybrid (feet, milibars)" and I have installed "Edit Voice Pack X" as well as run "NetFxRepairTool" since i've last flown in FSX and some how its started given me QNH both at Cardiff (EGFF) and Menorca (LEMH)

In settings i've set Units of measurements to "Hybrid (feet, milibars)" and I have installed "Edit Voice Pack X" as well as run "NetFxRepairTool" since i've last flown in FSX and some how its started given me QNH both at Cardiff (EGFF) and Menorca (LEMH)

OK, was the editvoicepack a payware version? Just checked the evp site and my computer can't run any of the newer versions. I have the "old" freeware one!

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

It’s the most recent freeware version “Edit Voicepack XL (6.1.5)”