Thread: Installing FS2004 into Windows 10 & Copying FS2004 from your OLD PC to your NEW PC

Default Installing FS2004 into Windows 10 & Copying FS2004 from your OLD PC to your NEW PC

To INSTALL FS2004 to your new Windows 10 PC

1. Install into C:\ NOT into it's default C:\Program Files
    2. Install the 9.1 updatel
    3. Install the 9.1 nocd patch
    4. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties
    5. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP
    6. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'
    7. Double click the desktop icon

To COPY & PASTE from your OLD PC to your NEW Windows 10 PC

From your OLD PC:
    1. Copy the whole FS2004 folder to a portable drive
    2. Open the Documents Folder & copy the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder to a portable drive
    3. Find the FS2004.cfg file & copy it to your portable drive
    This is normally found in C:\Users\xxx(your user)\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9
    An easy way to find this FS2004.cfg is to download EVERYTHING from www.voidtools.com
    (This is a very fast desktop search engine that will find the file as you type)

Once all that is done:
    1. Plug the portable drive into your NEW PC
    2. Open the C:\ folder & copy & paste the copied FS2004 folder therein
    3. Right-click the FS2004.exe & 'Send to Desktop (create shortcut) You now will have a Desktop FS2004 icon
    4. Copy & paste the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder into your 'Documents' folder
    5. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties
    6. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP
    7. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'
    8. Double click the desktop icon
    THEN
    9. Copy & Paste the FS2004.cfg file into C:\Users\xxx(your user)\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9
    10. Double click the desktop icon

NOTE: I'm interchanging FS9 with FS2004. Be consistent with your install!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Wow! Thanks Robin, for the detailed "how-to" tips. Similar issues with my Win10 setup. Just in case installing to C:\ doesn't always work, I've had some success installing FS9 (and other older sims & games) into C:\Games\. Win10 doesn't seem to cause so many issues when installed there. Another alternative, which has worked best for me, is to re-use my old WinXP hard drive from my old PC and set up a dual boot for running older sims. Thanks again for your detailed "how-to".

3. Default

Why did you not install it in the default location?

Because you will get errors, you will not be able to edit cfg files & other issues.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

5. Default

Thanks, Robin. Your instructions are timely as I just installed a new hard drive in April 2020. Luckily for me, I am able to retrieve all data on the dead hard drive.

Pleasure, Sam.. Pleased you got sorted with all your data.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

7. Default

This may be my first post, so patience please? Thnx.

I've been running FS2004 and FSX on my new Win10 machine - did the original install into the C:\programs, etc folder (default). But unlike on my previous Win7 machine, I've had tremendous problems adding AC and textures - in particular from Historic Jetliners Group (a great set of AC/panels/textures). They seem to install, but FS9 doesn't "see" them in the AC drop-down. I've always suspected there's something that Win10 doesn't like about FS9. So, I'm going to try to re-install to C:\root.

Questions:
    Since all my FS files are already on the C drive (solid state, very quick, etc.), can I just copy/move them to a new Flight Simulator 9 folder that I create on C:\, and then move the associated data files?

Or, should I just reinstall FS9 from the CDs and then copy the folder & subfolders? Not a huge problem to do a clean install, but wondering.

Or, start from scratch, and install all my add-ons one at a time?

Thanks - and if it's true that Win10 doesn't like FS9, then shame on them, right?

PS - FSX seems to work fine in the programs folder - but I haven't tried many add-ons with that.

Welcome Dan,
    You can just copy & paste from your Program Files to your new folder in C:\
    Then RENAME the original FS9 FOLDER in Program Files to FS9-Backup, or anything you prefer.
    You now have a backup of your FS9, that you can MOVE to a portable drive
    Also delete the FS9 icon on the desktop
    Open the new FS9 folder in C:\
    Right-click the FS9.exe & Send to Desktop
    Double click that to run the sim
    All should be good, key assignments must be redone (as a new fs9.cfg has been created)
    Then, go to http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library
    and download the Registry Repair Tool, & run it.
    This tells the registry where the NEW FS9 is sitting.
    You might have to reinstall payware, & maybe re-add scenery into the scenery library.

A bit lengthly, but it's quicker to do than to explain...

Have fun,
    Robin
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

9. Default

Robin,

Thanks so much. I'll try it and report back. Most of my add-ons are freeware (including lots from Flightsim) because I'm cheap. And even if I do have to re-install, I've gotten all that down to a science by now.

Dan

Good luck, Dan.
    Try the copy & paste method, it works.
    I have 8 different installs of FS9 on my laptop, all copied & pasted from my original backup which is on my portable drive.

All that's needed to do is to rename the main folder & the FS9.exe, & send that to desktop as a shortcut.

Cheers,
    Robin
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa