I'm interested in what changes they intend to make to FSX.

I have no interest in the new MSFS at this stage but new changes/updates to FSX would be of great interest.

Has there been any further FSX information apart from the initial snippet they added to the MSFS website anywhere?

Don't think they've said anything more about FSX itself. I wouldn't expect much more than bug fixes, and it possibly being added to Xbox Game Pass, or something similar.

You are probably totally correct.

It would be great if they ran FSX and MSFS as side-by-side products to cater for all types of flight sim users.

If FSX was 64bit, multi core, made better use of the GPU, it would be a heck of a sim even today.

I'm not so sure MSFS will be what people are expecting in many ways. One example, say you want to fly UK to USA. Will it be something like this:

"I haven't downloaded the scenery for that flight.

Let me check.

Only a 452gig download.

Great!

Today is the 12th of the month.

I'll have it all downloaded and ready to MSFS by the 27th!

So excited! Can't wait!"

I hope that's not how it will be. I think there may be many possible reasons FSX and MSFS running side-by-side for choice would be fantastic for everyone.

I'm honestly still expecting I'll be using FS9 two years from now. :p:D

It would be great if they ran FSX and MSFS as side-by-side products to cater for all types of flight sim users.

If FSX was 64bit, multi core, made better use of the GPU, it would be a heck of a sim even today.

So basically you want the new sim. :p

There is plenty of information out now that covers just about everything you've brought up.

https://fselite.net/originals/an-overview-of-the-technical-details-for-the-new-microsoft-flight-simulator/

The sim has 3 modes when it comes to scenery. First is the full online live streaming mode, second is the ability to pre-download areas you are interested in, and the last is a completely offline mode with reduced scenery quality. One area of testing they appear to be interested in is download speeds and performance. Currently all screenshots and videos are coming from a pre-alpha build, which means there is probably plenty of room for performance optimizations and improvement.

It will also be possible to run current FSX add-on aircraft in the sim, likely with minimal updating or tweaking. This won't get you access to the improved flight model though.

https://fselite.net/originals/hands-on-with-the-new-microsoft-flight-simulator

And something that people seem to forget is that having multiple sims installed on your PC works just fine too.

I'm not so sure MSFS will be what people are expecting in many ways. One example, say you want to fly UK to USA. Will it be something like this:

"I haven't downloaded the scenery for that flight.

Let me check.

Only a 452gig download.

Great!

Today is the 12th of the month.

I'll have it all downloaded and ready to MSFS by the 27th!

So excited! Can't wait!"

I hope that's not how it will be. I think there may be many possible reasons FSX and MSFS running side-by-side for choice would be fantastic for everyone.

I'm honestly still expecting I'll be using FS9 two years from now. :p:D

LOL, it will not be like that. You will have 3 choices: On-line, Cache on-line, off-line.

So, you will be able to set a cache size for streaming, so you will not have to repeat the stream when flying pattens over the same area, & obviously downloading.

In another interview, the developers said that the whole area we saw was about equal to 60Meg to download.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

So basically you want the new sim. :p

lol, yeah, maybe, let's see what it becomes. I want a game that I can just open up, use all aspects of it instantly and it doesn't need online to work.

I haven't read the links, I'll give them a read, thanks. I've stayed away from information as most of it has been total speculation. The other site's forum, I don't know what to say to be honest, it's been surprising is one word...

• 1 year later...
I'm interested in what changes they intend to make to FSX.

I have no interest in the new MSFS at this stage but new changes/updates to FSX would be of great interest.

Has there been any further FSX information apart from the initial snippet they added to the MSFS website anywhere?

FXS died with the sale of the code to Lockheed and Steam.

P3D went to 64 bit which eliminated the BSOD. (Blue Screen Of Death)

FSX is not corporate supported but has a huge stable of aircraft to fly.

FXS died with the sale of the code to Lockheed and Steam.

P3D went to 64 bit which eliminated the BSOD. (Blue Screen Of Death)

FSX is not corporate supported but has a huge stable of aircraft to fly.

No, Microsoft didn't sell the code, only licenses to other companies to build off the code, like Lockheed (ESP commercial license) and Dove Tail Games (consumer/entertainment). Dove Tail are the ones who brought it to the Steam online storefront (Steam had nothing to do with the development or anything other than selling the sim), and then used the code for their Flight Sim World project. A couple of years ago the license with Dove Tail was not renewed and the Steam Edition reverted back to Microsoft. Asobo have said they used the FSX code as a reference or starting point for MSFS. FSX is still basically considered unsupported though.

How are you typing here?

You type first, then you dial up a provider with an analogue modem and when you hear the connection noise...the message is sent? Is that so?

Or are you using broadband? Or there is cable internet in you area now?

You dont want FSX, you want MSFS but dont have the PC or internet to run it. Put it straight, say the truth

Humanity moves forward and standards improve.

NO, you dont need to download US scenery 452gig, you just start Msfs and take off and the scenery is there (effortless online download as you fly)

On the second time you fly a route the scenery is already on cache and don even need internet

Will MS update Fsx for old computers?

No.

Nobody cares about old computers, even Windows 7 and XP is out of support already by MS

You see, if we dont move forward...we dont move forward. The energy spent by an employee touching fsx or win xp could be more useful for society working for the new standards.

Msfs IS fsx, only updated to the present.

Take your time and see when you can get yourself a normal pc rig and internet and you are all set

Or stick to fsx as it is

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Frankly the more I use MSFS/FS20, the harder it is to go back to FSX or even X-Plane. Earlier this evening I had a fantastic night time take off from Hong Kong, after bringing the modded A320 up from cold and dark. Never really got that vibe in the other sims.

Earlier again I had the ad for the Perfect Flight MD11 for FSX show up on the forum sidebar. Now my finger was poised but then I thought, "What's the Point?" I would probably fly it once or twice then never look at it again. In fact my main sensation was one of vague disappointment that it wasn't a surprise announcement the aircraft was now in FS20!

Vern.

I was a devoted user of FSX (before that, FS9) for many years, but I agree with Elvensmith. Two things seem clear. One, FSX is now defunct, replaced by MSFS. Certainly folks can continue to use it, but it will increasingly be analogous to sticking with Windows 7 or XP as your operating system. Two, X-plane is also history unless it finds a way to incorporate global satellite-based imagery, which seems very unlikely. Time and technology march on ....

Further to above, after a slight red misting once more in FS20, thought I would fire up one of my JF (CLS) DC10's in FSX for a quick spin. The experience was literally like stepping back 12 years, for one the exterior of the plane was all white as they never fixed the texture for the FSX port. Crude "Acme" panel, the airport flat as a pancake (I love the undulating runways in '20).

So off that and back to '20, decided to give the Neofly mod a little try with a "UPS" delivery run up the NE Scottish coast from Inverness to Wick - great fun!

Later today I think FSX might well be getting the coup de grace and culled from the HD...

Vern.

I was a devoted user of FSX (before that, FS9) for many years, but I agree with Elvensmith. Two things seem clear. One, FSX is now defunct, replaced by MSFS. Certainly folks can continue to use it, but it will increasingly be analogous to sticking with Windows 7 or XP as your operating system. Two, X-plane is also history unless it finds a way to incorporate global satellite-based imagery, which seems very unlikely. Time and technology march on ....

You do realise that X-Plane has been able to incorporate satellite imagery from Microsoft's servers for quite a while now and FSX has been able to do it via Tileproxy.

FS9 & FSX will never die, nor become defunct. As long as there are people using it, and developers, both freeware & payware, developing for it, both sims will be very much alive.

There are many that do not have the resources (& patience) to buy a high end PC to run MSFS & there are those that are very much invested, time energy & financially, with the older sims. No, MSFS has not replaced anything. It's just another sim out there that we can choose to play. IsMSFS a mature sim as FS9 & FSX is? of course not. It will be many years until it is. Can we fly our favourite planes in MSFS? Of course not yet. In some cases, probably never!

So, please, you do not need to knock the old 'defunct' as you call it, sims. For us, it just works, with what we want.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

FS9 & FSX will never die, nor become defunct. As long as there are people using it, and developers, both freeware & payware, developing for it, both sims will be very much alive.

There are many that do not have the resources (& patience) to buy a high end PC to run MSFS & there are those that are very much invested, time energy & financially, with the older sims. No, MSFS has not replaced anything. It's just another sim out there that we can choose to play. IsMSFS a mature sim as FS9 & FSX is? of course not. It will be many years until it is. Can we fly our favourite planes in MSFS? Of course not yet. In some cases, probably never!

So, please, you do not need to knock the old 'defunct' as you call it, sims. For us, it just works, with what we want.

Not knocking anything, just being realistic. Good luck and happy simming, whatever you choose to use!

You missed a key reason to use FS9, the one and only reason I use it. It’s overall still the best flight sim imo! No other reason I use it.

I’m surprised they locked the thread here asking the question what actually works in MSFS? It was a fair question as there is literally not one core element of this game that does not have issues.

Is FS9 better than MSFS? Yes! By a million miles!

You can’t judge, as people are, based on what they think MSFS will become. You can only judge on what it is. Right now it is a complete disaster. Honestly, I don’t expect anything to change in the future. Those holding on to great expectations I think you are in for some very frustrating months or years ahead.

Mark Daniels

You can’t judge, as people are, based on what they think MSFS will become.

I think you are in for some very frustrating months or years ahead.

Mark, by your own standards your opinion is just as invalid as everyone else's!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

FS9 has one thing I dearly miss. The Golden Wings mod. Flying the whole world in the 1930's is still one of my favorite experiences. Oh and CalClassic in FS9 too for that propliner experience. I miss both those a lot. MSFS is amazing and I'm excited to see where it goes.

James M

Director Ohio Valley Golden Age A Golden Age Regional Airline Simulation

Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS Prime X570-P, NVidia GTX 1660 Super, 32G 3200mhz, 1TB Samsung SSD, HC Alpha, HC Bravo, Windows 11

For the person who said it, you do not need a better system to run MSFS. If your pc was capable of handling FSX, it will be more than up to the task of doing MSFS.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS