Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving FSX

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HoratioWondersocks View Post
    When you say nothing works ,is that just the PMDG or all aircraft ?
    Does the sim start and run at all?

Andy
    The sim starts fine.

I reinstalled FSX like Brian suggested above, tried both things that he offered, reinstalled FSX but can't activate my PMDG B747-400, B777 says it can not load on this PC. i have not tried MD-11 yet.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by longbreak754 View Post
    Try this...

Check the properties of the downloaded PMDG file by right clicking on it. Look at the very bottom of the General tab and see if the file has been blocked - there may be a statement regarding blocking with a box to the right of the statement which is labelled Unblock. Click on the box to activate it and then click Apply followed by OK. Try running the install again using Admin rights.
    This is what I have in properties. In security it does not show Windows 10, it is set on Vista with SP1/2 but I can change it to Win7 or 8 only.

In the Readme file it says: After installation, this installer will launch a redistributable
    file for VS2008 that is REQUIRED for this product to run. I do not remember if it prompted me to do that or not, And where do I find it if it did not?

Max
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	104 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	211841

Name:	2.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	211842

Name:	3.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	211843
    Last edited by Nightflier23; 09-03-2019 at 07:38 PM.

3. Default

Read this for a list of pmdg products that are not fully compatible with win10.
    https://support.precisionmanuals.com...-products.aspx

Hi Max,

You will find the Visual C++ 2008 Redists packs at the following links:

32 bit - HERE

64 bit - HERE

You will need to download the relevant file that is appropriate for your OS bit rate version.

DO NOT run the install directly from the download option but SAVE the file to a temp location. Then run the file by RIGHT clicking on it and selecting Run As Admin. Once it has installed reboot the PC using the RESTART option.

You can check to see if you have a version of Visual C++ 2008 already installed by looking in the Programs and Features listing but I still suggest downloading and installing as indicated above. This will ensure that you have no missing or corrupt files from a previous install - if you do already have an install of 2008 the redist pack install process will simply check what files are there and will only add and/or replace missing/corrupt/damaged/out of date files as appropriate
    Regards

Brian

5. Default

Previous to the recent MS announcement reclaiming FSX from Steam I would have suggested getting the product from them. Just wondering if that is no longer possible. No exactly relevant to the original question as that has passed of course, but the curious may like to know. Installing FSX from disc can be problematic in W10 whereas Steam install was a doddle. I know I have both.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by longbreak754 View Post
    Hi Max,

You will find the Visual C++ 2008 Redists packs at the following links:

32 bit - HERE

64 bit - HERE

You will need to download the relevant file that is appropriate for your OS bit rate version.

DO NOT run the install directly from the download option but SAVE the file to a temp location. Then run the file by RIGHT clicking on it and selecting Run As Admin. Once it has installed reboot the PC using the RESTART option.

You can check to see if you have a version of Visual C++ 2008 already installed by looking in the Programs and Features listing but I still suggest downloading and installing as indicated above. This will ensure that you have no missing or corrupt files from a previous install - if you do already have an install of 2008 the redist pack install process will simply check what files are there and will only add and/or replace missing/corrupt/damaged/out of date files as appropriate
    Thank you Brian,

I have Visual C++ 2008, but installed 32 and 64 bit anyway. Did as you instructed but still showing error when I try to activate -400.

My FSX shows steam addition, would it be any different if I install STEAM from their website?

Max

Hi Max,

Plse clarify - What item shows 'steam edition'? - FSX (which based on what you posted earlier is the boxed version) or the -400. Where did you purchase/download the -400 and are you able to ID what version it is from the purchase/webshop info.

Possible solutions (based on assumptions whilst we await the answer to the above question)....

If your FSX is the boxed version and the -400 is the steam version:

AFAIK items specifically stated as for FSE-SE (i.e. steam version) only MAY not work with the boxed version, whereas many of products designed for the boxed version can be installed into the steam version. Although the steam version is based on the boxed edition of FSX Gold (i.e. the Deluxe version of FSX with the Acceleration Addon included) they have may some updates that some Steam only products may take advantage off - see HERE for details of the updates made.

SOLUTION:

Option 1 - Contact the vendor and see if you can swap out -400 steam version for the -400 boxed FSX version. However, bear in mind that it may still not work as it doesn't for a minority of users as indicated in the linked page given by il88pp at post #13. The reason for this will most definitely be related to an individual's PC and its setup. Most likely, IME, this will be due to other missing core OS related libraries (of which C++ 2008 is one example) that FSX and thus addons, needs.

Option 2 - Purchase/Install the Steam version of FSX and try install the -400 again.

If your FSX is the Steam version and the -400 is the non steam version:

Option 1 - Contact the vendor and see if you can swap out -400 boxed FSX version for the -400 steam version.
    Regards

Brian

8. Default

Hi Brian,

I placed FSX front page that says Steam edition. I downloaded it from two CDs. They don't say Steam Edition though. The -400 add-on I bought and downloaded from PMDG.

I looked at PMDG website with compatibility. -400 doesn't work with Win 10. On my old laptop I upgraded Win to 10 myself, maybe that's why PMDG works. But it crashes a lot.

Thank you for your help,

Max

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	420.6 KB 
ID:	211863

The Home page for FSX (FSInsider) only applies to Steam and does not reflect what you have installed on your computer.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    The Home page for FSX (FSInsider) only applies to Steam and does not reflect what you have installed on your computer.
    I see, I have regular FSX.

Max

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast