Slow FSX Acceleration

westway

My FSX Acceleration is operating at a snails pace. Let me say that daily I run defrag, Malwarebytes and virus cleaner as well as Ccleaner. All that does not do anything to increase the opening speed. Any ideas as to what I can do to correct the slow speed? Does Orbx scenery impact speed?

The more add-ons you have installed of any kind, the slower the sim will start. De-activating scenery areas not required for your current flight will improve performance once the sim is running, but the sim scans through everything, de-activated or not, when launching.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Opening speed? Are you talking about startup or while running (probably frame rate)? If startup, ORBX might slow things down a bit, but so do airplanes, that is, the more aircraft you have the longer FS takes to load.

If frame rate, ORBX has little effect most places, except certain individually purchased airports. So with frame rate problems you're probably running your settings too high.

You might clarify where you see the problem for more help.

Hmmm... I see Tim beat me to it.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

My FSX Acceleration is operating at a snails pace. Let me say that daily I run defrag, Malwarebytes and virus cleaner as well as Ccleaner. All that does not do anything to increase the opening speed. Any ideas as to what I can do to correct the slow speed? Does Orbx scenery impact speed?

Yes, Have you thought about buying a faster computer? If not, yes ORBX scenery most certainly does impact loading speed.

Remove ANYTHING you don't need...

Daily defraging is a little excessive, most HDD's can cope with 2-5% fragmentation before you will see any real impact on programs in use. You may even be reducing the lifespan of your drive by doing this so often.

What program and defrag type are you using, I am using O&O Defrag and Defrag files on my Sim Drive F: by the "NAME" method, and only do this once every 3 months if sim is in constant use or has a few consecutive crashes, but I also defrag my OS C: drive at the same time, it is usually the one that is most fragmented.

CCleaner used too often can also cause you to unintentionally remove files, components & registry entries that are harmless, I find that using CCleaner... less is more, you should definitely not use it daily for cleaning the OS or registry of detritus. 3-6months is fine if you aren't having other unusual events happening on your system, you could run a scan first to see what it wants to clean out of your system and make selective choices before hitting that "clean" button.

It is fairly normal once you have added things to your scenery library and aircraft hangar to have slower loading times from the FreeFlight screen depending on the location where aircraft is spawning.

If you have slow startup from the splashscreen to Freeflight screen this is has also become normal for me, from clicking the FSX Taskbar ICON to Splashscreen loads to FreeFlight Screen on my FSX setup it can take about 1 min - 1min30sec. (Win7/64pro with FSX Deluxe Gold AccPack - DX9 API)

If you are experiencing slow graphics or FPS then we will need a lot more info about your hardware specs, current scenery slider settings, & Traffic levels.

If you have an active Antivirus program, these can also slow down loading times and sim performance by scanning every file loaded into the data cache and scanning during a loaded flight where more files are loaded into the scenery data cache, you can choose to Exclude your FSX folders and Files in the AV program from being scanned (Scan Exclusion).

The Sims are 32 bit and uses only ONE CORE! You have to tweak cfg and move you sliders to the left (less). If the sliders are all full to the right then your Sim won't do any more than 16 fps. With your rig you SHOULD be able to run Sim full out and get 60 fps. Should, but won't. Reality sucks!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Westaway,

Is this the rig you have, the specs look about the same as your description https://www.adorama.com/ibelemnt047i.html

If it is, you could turbo up to 5GHz, that should deliver a superb FSX experience, (I am Green with envy, specs look excellent depending on MOBO and quality level of parts, although I don't like the case or the puke RGB lighting). Power supply 650Watts is a bit lightweight for CPU turbo OC and a hungry RTX2080Ti Graphics card though. AIO Liquid cooled CPU will serve you well.

I suspect you need to do some configuring of your system, learning how to set the hardware for performance and FSX settings to achieve the best overall result given the 32bit limitations of FSX.

Kostas guide is a great place to start, better still is Jim Young's "AVSIM Basic FSX Configuration Guide" https://www.avsim.com/files/file/41-avsim-basic-fsx-configuration-guide/

Edited by jethrom