New to FSX and Sims

Howdy y'all! I'm new to new to flight and even newer to sims. I have 10 hours towards my PPL and should have it done by the end of the year. Next year I'll do my IFR, then on to Commercial and CFI. In my down time [and after 13 years without a desktop PC] I decided to throw one together and get into the sim world.

General specs are as follows, as well as periphery:

i5-8600K 3.6GHz - Overclocked @ 4.0GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI ATX Motherboard

Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB RAM 2x4 (Ordering 16GB soon...)

Western Digital Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD

PNY 240GB 2.5" SSD

MSI - Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (Upgrading to 1070 8GB soon...)

NZXT 500i ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair Gaming 800W +80 Bronze Power Supply

Microsoft Widows 10 64-bit

Asus VX238H 23" Monitor (Expanding to x3 soon...then VR when the new array-less systems launch.)

I'm looking forward to learning more and maybe talking to some of you soon!

Welcome Tex, to the sometimes wacky world of FSX. Sometimes it's more frustrating than wacky; crazy frustrating when something breaks and you find yourself going "wha...?" Then drop in here and get some sympathy and some support BEFORE you just decide to uninstall and reinstall because that doesn't always work. Actually, stop in daily. I learn something almost every day and this Flight Simulator franchise has been my hobby and passion for a quarter century now. There's literally hundreds of years worth of experience with FSX available at this site - almost at your beck and call - don't fail to take advantage of it!

How about a "30 second" biography: how did you come across FSX; what aspect(s) appeal to you the most; preferred aircraft type; what AC type are you training in? what's your home apt?

Are you flying the disk version or Steam Version? I fly 'em both but the Steam version is still still pretty default while the older disk install is pretty loaded down with scenery and extra AC.

For a lot of us, this ain't just a hobby, it's a 'lifestyle'. Welcome.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

For a lot of us, this ain't just a hobby, it's a 'lifestyle'. Welcome.

Loyd

Or an addiction! My computer is in the shop and I am having BAD withdrawal symptoms! Four day weekend, perfect weather, FSX was running smoother than ever.... and the computer decided to puke it's guts out and fail to boot.

Welcome Tex! And good luck with real life flying! If your experience goes anything like mine, it'll be a lot less frustrating than learning FSX's quirks.

Just remember one thing during your training! If you start to see stuttering and bad FPS, just land and go home for the day! LoL

PS- Tex, you'll be asking soon in the forums why your weather isn't working. Go ahead and look up and read about the various weather "injection" programs like FSRealWX. You'll also want to look for FSUIPC and EditVoicePack. Also World of AI for more and newer AI traffic.. That should get ya started for the weekend.

Howdy y'all! I'm new to new to flight and even newer to sims. I have 10 hours towards my PPL and should have it done by the end of the year. Next year I'll do my IFR, then on to Commercial and CFI. In my down time [and after 13 years without a desktop PC] I decided to throw one together and get into the sim world.

General specs are as follows, as well as periphery:

i5-8600K 3.6GHz - Overclocked @ 4.0GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI ATX Motherboard

Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB RAM 2x4 (Ordering 16GB soon...)

Western Digital Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD

PNY 240GB 2.5" SSD

MSI - Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (Upgrading to 1070 8GB soon...)

NZXT 500i ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair Gaming 800W +80 Bronze Power Supply

Microsoft Widows 10 64-bit

Asus VX238H 23" Monitor (Expanding to x3 soon...then VR when the new array-less systems launch.)

I'm looking forward to learning more and maybe talking to some of you soon!

If you’re just starting out, and plan to buy the latest sophisticated addons, I strongly suggest moving to P3D V4.5. FSX development ended 13 years ago; consequently, the biggest add on companies have terminated development and moved on to P3D and XPlane 11. If you don’t plan on procuring any add ons, you may want to consider the latter. It looks much better out the box than P3D. Again, it would be wise to start with a supported simulator vice one that most have terminated development for.

... the biggest add on companies have terminated development and moved on to P3D and XPlane 11.

Say what? I spent way too much $$$ on FSX add-ons, scenery during the Memorial Day sales held by "the biggest add on companies." The demise of FSX is greatly exaggerated, and not everyone can wink and nudge enough times to consider kingm56's suggestion. FSX continues to be the best supported flightsim software with the biggest library of payware and freeware. And it's OK to say that IN the FSX Forum, thank you very much.

Say what? I spent way too much $$$ on FSX add-ons, scenery during the Memorial Day sales held by "the biggest add on companies." The demise of FSX is greatly exaggerated, and not everyone can wink and nudge enough times to consider kingm56's suggestion. FSX continues to be the best supported flightsim software with the biggest library of payware and freeware. And it's OK to say that IN the FSX Forum, thank you very much.

Increasingly, developers are bypassing FSX as a `dead` sim in favour of the 64-bit sims - X-Plane 11 and P3Dv4. Sorry if that doesn't meet with your world view but suggest you lose the blinkers:

Milviz have stopped development for FSX, their latest product is P3Dv4.5 only.

PMDG have ceased development for FSX/P3Dv1-v3

To name but two. Which might eventually be of interest to our OP, training for a real-world license...

Increasingly, developers are bypassing FSX as a `dead` sim in favour of the 64-bit sims - X-Plane 11 and P3Dv4. Sorry if that doesn't meet with your world view but suggest you lose the blinkers:

To name but two. Which might eventually be of interest to our OP, training for a real-world license...

I have been hearing that FSX is dead for years. All I can say is, for a corpse it seems to be doing remarkably well. (1) There are still plenty of developers generating new stuff for FSX, and (2) at any given time, the number of users logged on to FSX websites FAR exceeds the corresponding number for X-plane and other sims. Now, back to the grave ...

I have been hearing that FSX is dead for years. All I can say is, for a corpse it seems to be doing remarkably well. (1) There are still plenty of developers generating new stuff for FSX, and (2) at any given time, the number of users logged on to FSX websites FAR exceeds the corresponding number for X-plane and other sims. Now, back to the grave ...

+1 Yeah, I do a lot of coffin flying myself! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

They'll be back in 2021, and so will you.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64