Adding an improved default 737 VC to the File Library - FlightSim.Com policy?

BlueSox14

Hi all,

Around 12 months ago, perhaps longer, I was referred to Alejandro Rojas Lucena's most excellent improved default 737 Virtual Cockpit (VC) for FSX. If I recall correctly that particular VC has been recommended several times on the forums here at FlightSim.com.

This was a great improvement to the default 737 VC and I really enjoyed flying it (as many others also have and still do). At some point, the problematic auto-brake knob animation in this VC really started to bug me. So began an unexpected process of learning about how VCs are created and how I might go about fixing it.

This turned into a personal obsession for me and I've sunk more hours into improving the default 737 VC from scratch than I care to admit. Alejandro's VC was a source of great inspiration to me and now my upgraded VC has surpassed his in many area's of functionality.

I really enjoy flying the default 737, as I'm sure many do (and I'm fully aware the PMDG offering is second-to-none, just not for me) and I would really like to share my upgraded VC with the flight sim community of whom have given me so much pleasure in discussion and freeware over many many years.

However I believe that for some, perhaps many, the editing and improving of FSX default aircraft VCs is a bit of a no-no. In my view (which you are of course free to disagree with), what I would like to offer doesn't diminish Microsoft's / Dovetails intellectual and commercial interest in FSX and so it doesn't trouble my conscience.

I don't really want to get into a EULA debate, I think that's been thrashed out plenty of times so I thought perhaps I might simply ask if FlightSim.Com has a policy which would prevent me uploading my improved VC to the file library here to be shared with the community?

If yes, then so be it. No more questions. I really don't want to upset anyone or start a EULA debate. Frankly, those would just be a waste of your time and mine. I'll continue to privately enjoy my improved VC (even if it's not as good as PMDGs :)) but I think it would be a shame that some others may not be able to enjoy it as well.

If FlightSim.com doesn't have a problem with it, then great! I'd love to share it.

Thanks everyone!

Trent

• Founder
It basically comes down to whether what you've done contains work that belongs to other people. I've you've just modified files that came with FSX you're probably OK. If you've used work from other third parties it's best to ask them for permission unless they released to the public domain or otherwise stated that reuse was OK.

Count me in too Trent, Alejendro's Autobrake knob AND the Overhead Fuel Crossfeed knob bother me!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

If you have blocked the eyebrow windows, count me in. Any newer 737 does not have them and I have several TDS models I could use it for.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hi all,

Ok, that's great! Thanks for that clear response Nels.

Dogdish, unfortunately my modelling ability is pretty poor and removing the eyebrow windows is a bit beyond my skill at this point. However if I ever learn how to do it, I'll do it for you.

I reckon I'll need another month or two to put the finishing touches on my improved 737 VC and put some documentation together and I'll have a beta ready for some testing. Any volunteers?

A couple of questions while I'm at it. See the attached picture. Notice that part of the panel that seems detached. The part I've put an arrow on. I'm thinking about pushing that forward (like I had to with the displaced caution and warning lights on the co-pilots side - boxed in red. Did you ever notice that?). Do you think that it should be further forward? To my eye, it looks a little bit wrong where it is, with that gap that runs between it.

That, or get rid of it altogether? I think maybe push it forward.

Also, I've created independent wiper animations (with the help of Bill Leaming over at fsdeveloper.com. Wonderful chap!) You can turn one on or the other, or of course both. They're a bit of fun but not much use because unlike Alejandro's VC, I haven't added any rain effects. The static rain template just isn't to my taste. However, the question I have is does anyone know if in the real 737, when both wipers are switched on, do they wipe in a synchronised fashion, or will they operate in an un-synchronised fashion? I could look up some video on youtube, but thought I might as well ask :).

Lastly, a late easter egg hunt for everyone. Can anyone spot the extra VC functionality I've added in the screenshot?

Trent

737.jpg

This is why you need a VC! If you look at the VC with a camera adjustment, that is the correct layout: The cockpit coaming `outboard` is shaped like that in real life.

Try search Google images for 737 cockpit if you don't believe me.

Hi Trent,

Sounds like a positive direction to me.

Not that I would consider myself proficient in any real regard to the 737 cockpit, but I would try really hard to give your VC a good test. PM me when your ready for beta, maybe with a small list of things you would like to test that are special to your version. I can certainly give the instruments, switches and knobs a red hot fiddle, and any other aspect of the panel you feel needs a closer look.

Looking at the Panel picture above from the Captains seat, its difficult to give an opinion about the panel section on the FO's side perspective. Things look different depending on angle and position. It may look ok from the FO's view point.

I don't really know much about synchronised wipers, but it would make sense if they operated independently & at different speed, for the right to be out of sync with the left. I may also need to look that one up.

As for the "Easter Egg" I can see a mod to the "Heading Selector knob" lower ring bezel, does that mean the inner and outer bezel are independent & incremental. I cant see anything else other than you fixed the Master Caution, Fire Warning, Fuel OVHT/DET/Elec, lamps on the FO side. They look odd in the Default 737, kinda doubled up offset.

Edited by jethrom

Dunno about moving that molding, it looks pretty close to this image:

vnukovo-may-22-2015-cockpit-260nw-506402101.jpg

I'll take a guess that you've made the VS selector wheel movable?

I'd be happy to volunteer for some beta testing if you need any.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi all,

Dogdish, unfortunately my modelling ability is pretty poor and removing the eyebrow windows is a bit beyond my skill at this point. However if I ever learn how to do it, I'll do it for you.

Trent

It was an option for Boeing to place glass windows in the openings so the "bezels" would still be there on a lot of cockpits.

So I'd be happy if it's possible to somehow make the see through glass opaque, like an option that was never installed.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

• 9 months later...