Who Are The VC Police?

casey jones

I had D/L some panels from FSX and found the authors in each case saying "Watch out for the VC Police" The

authors of the panels I D/L that reference the VC police said they are a group of people who have an agenda

to make sure everyone who flys in FSX will convert to VC panels once they get rid of all the 2d panels for

FSX, this is a game that is for fun and enjoyment for all, it was never meant to be controlled by one person

or group of people who have an agenda to force others to do what they want. If this is true what I have read

in these notes by these authors who make 2d panels then the powers that be of this web sight should maybe

take a look at what is happening here.

Thank You

Casey

I once inquired about the possibility of blocking the eyebrow windows in a default 737 VC because some of the TDS 737 models I merged it to did not have them.

A certain member of these forums got all over my case about modifying Microsoft property.

I believe he was a definite "VC Police"

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Saying you shouldn't be modifying someone else's work is not being the "VC Police." It's having proper respect for them and their creations.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Using a VC and Rift is an amazing experience.

But would you want to run your flightsim like that all the time? Not me.

Many vendors have dropped 2D panels to save costs, and lots of freeware aircraft modelers have, too, to save time. But there are still new 2D panels being created for our enjoyment, like Philippe Wallaert's nice 16:9 aspect ratio wide-screen panels. I feel kind of guilty when I disable VC panels in the aircraft I fly. Some look great, and I know lots of work went into them. But I don't care for the VC controls in FSX -- I'd rather fly the plane than constantly have to fly the camera views. My choice, my preference.

23848-fsx-xb70-panel-updatezip-386-2d.jpg

I haven't seen this with Rift. But more than a decade ago, I worked with the Canadaian Airforce to help them with a recruitment tools they were building using FS-2004. Part of it was a 3D headset which allowed you to look around the virtual cockpits for the plane they had. It was amazing, I wanted to reach out and touch the switches, and I know they aren't real!

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

If someone gave you a bicycle and the seat hurt, would you change it or keep it out of respect for the person who gave you the cycle?

I know what I would do.

Thanks for sticking up for me :)

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I say this with tongue firmly wedged in cheek, Vice City Police Department VCPD = GTA reference.

Seriously though, some simmers prefer the 2D panel and others will happily use the 3D VC for realism, no need to knock anyone for their preference, what ever makes it work for the end user is all that matters, no need for the VCP to wade in.

Perhaps having a 6 DOF head tracking device such as HatTrack, TrackIR or even VR head sets can make a VC panel more enjoyable. I remember the backlash from FS2004 users moving to FSX where VC became the Developers cockpit of choice, some liked them some didn't, saying that I prefer 3D VC's with my HatTrack, I only need lean in to get a closer look at an instrument then lean back or look side to side to view out the window or around the cabin.

Perhaps having a 6 DOF head tracking device such as HatTrack, TrackIR or even VR head sets can make a VC panel more enjoyable.

No. lol

I spent an entire day at a friends place with TrackIR and P3D. Loved my 2D panels more and more as each hour went on. As you say, each to their own. We don't all like the same food, the same colors etc. That's the way it is.

Regarding modifying, I fully support dogdish.

You can play some games the age of FS9 say, the game is freely passed around, the add-ons are freely passed around and nobody cares. You can go to the Flightsim equivalent of that game's forum and everything is totally accepted.

Before some people blow up about the paragraph above, is it right? I didn't say it is.

However, how morally anal one wants to be is up to them but just like 2D vs VC we will all have different opinions.

Does MS really care about the type of modification dogdish made? I'm sure they don't.

Let's look at the library here. How many livery creators have received permission from the airline who owns the rights to that livery before blatantly copying it? Who here has downloaded and used such a livery completely ignoring that no permission had been obtained?

We can get really silly about things or just go and enjoy a pretty decent game without judging others.

Mark Daniels

Have never been a fan of 3D going back to when they first appeared. Many of them lack realism, esp. in freeware.

I like 2D panels mainly for the ease of entering auto pilot data, for light switching, engine starts, etc. I too am disappointed that PMDG lacks them. So I use their 2D pop-ups. (But I will still probably purchase any product they offer in the future).

Each and every one of us has different needs, and so both 2D and VC cockpits rightly have their respective and loyal followings.

Apart from the simulator/platform you use, a lot of it comes down to what you are used to. For the older, more experienced generation, 2D cockpits remain popular due to their ease of use (no constant panning and zooming), and relatively low hardware requirements; whilst those of a younger nature (and with possibly more disposable income), usually enjoy the additional features offered by a VC.

At the end of the day...(apart from getting dark), we should all respect each other's opinions. We are not the same, we are all different, however, in saying that, there is one thing which we do all have in common, and that is the love of flight simulation.

Happy flying!!

Dominic

So Dominic are you saying the older person has less income than a younger person and an older person has low hardware while a younger person must have high end stuff?

I posted earlier, everyone to their own, some like them some don't, it has nothing to do with age or money.

Col.

So Dominic are you saying the older person has less income than a younger person and an older person has low hardware while a younger person must have high end stuff?

I posted earlier, everyone to their own, some like them some don't, it has nothing to do with age or money.

Col.

After writing the above, I knew someone would perhaps come to that conclusion and that's why I said...

'And with possibly more disposable income'

after writing the above, i knew someone would perhaps come to that conclusion and that's why i said...

'and with possibly more disposable income'

+1

w33

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

I suspect the 2D/VC choice has a lot to do with WHAT you fly. For me, flying GA and warbirds, being able to look around is very important, and a VC with TrackIR is the perfect setup. If you're driving a tubeliner around between major airports under ATC control it's not so important to see outside, and the 2D display gives easier access to panel and autopilot functions.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived