Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steve's DX10 Fixer- -WOW!

1. Default Steve's DX10 Fixer- -WOW!

I had always thought DX10 more trouble than it's worth, and was skeptical about the DX10 fixer from Steve. I just didn't realize how much more immersive things look like with it! I got the cloud shadow update as well. Now my FSX looks darn near as good as P3D4! That was a hoot going into a turn and seeing the cockpit shadows for the first time in FSX.

+1

Wim

As good as P3D?
    Apart from the OOM; the absence of PBR and the other advances, you mean?

Better than P3D!

Apart from the ridiculous cost; the frivolous eye-candy and the lack of other basic flightsim features which come as standard with FSX and even FS2004...

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tiger1962; 03-12-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    Apart from the OOM; the absence of PBR and the other advances, you mean?
    Not to mention the fact that (as you've mentionted several times in previous posts) a plebeian like me isn't allowed to even buy P3D, as I don't have any "academic" use for it .

Wim

and the lack of other basic flightsim features which come as standard with FSX and even FS2004...
    Hmmm, that's a new one on me. Perhaps you could enlighten me...

the frivolous eye-candy
    So you'd rather have stick figures? Resurrect FS for the TRS-80? For many of us the so-called eye candy and smooth operation are rather important items. Aircraft shadows, cloud shadows, vegetation, buildings and many other things help my immersion in the sim, help my imagination to put me closer to "real," enough that I can really enjoy it. Did FS-98 have "frivolous eye-candy?" Do you have add-on scenery? Where are you drawing the line of "eye candy?" At what point does it become "frivolous?"

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

7. Post

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    At what point does it become "frivolous?"
    For me, it's anything after Fs9. The cons in newer sims after this far outweigh the pros.
    Anyhow, just wanted to add to the discussion. lol
    Enjoy whatever sim suits you best.
    Mark Daniels

Mark.. agree.
    FS9 just works.
    It's all in the immersion. & we don't need to update or PC's whenever a new sim version comes out.

Thanks Mark & Robbie. The implication that it's foolish not to have P3D is foolish. And to get this thread back on track, I agree with dnpaul: Steve's DX10 Fixer with cloud shadows puts FSX on a whole new level.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

10. Default

Yeah, I didn't think this was a P3D vs FSX thread.

I have the best of both worlds. I have FSX and P3D both, and have FTX Global and Vector, AS16, REX TD with Soft Clouds set up in both, so they both look great. The DX10 fixer closed the gap between the two quite a bit is all I'm saying.

I don't intend to give up FSX because I have planes that either aren't going to be ported to P3D, or are a bit too expensive to buy the new, 64 bit versions. The one that really compelled me to get up and running on P3d4 was the Maddog X. Man, what a bird! I REALLY wanted to see and fly her 64 bit version. Going forward, most of the best new planes coming out are going to be geared for P3D. That's a fact. So I spent some bucks to get my computer up to the task, and I couldn't be happier with having both sims freshly installed on a clean OS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast