Steve's DX10 Fixer- -WOW!

dnpaul

I had always thought DX10 more trouble than it's worth, and was skeptical about the DX10 fixer from Steve. I just didn't realize how much more immersive things look like with it! I got the cloud shadow update as well. Now my FSX looks darn near as good as P3D4! That was a hoot going into a turn and seeing the cockpit shadows for the first time in FSX.

Better than P3D!

Apart from the ridiculous cost; the frivolous eye-candy and the lack of other basic flightsim features which come as standard with FSX and even FS2004...

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Apart from the OOM; the absence of PBR and the other advances, you mean?

Not to mention the fact that (as you've mentionted several times in previous posts) a plebeian like me isn't allowed to even buy P3D, as I don't have any "academic" use for it :rolleyes:.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

and the lack of other basic flightsim features which come as standard with FSX and even FS2004...

Hmmm, that's a new one on me. Perhaps you could enlighten me...

the frivolous eye-candy

So you'd rather have stick figures? Resurrect FS for the TRS-80? For many of us the so-called eye candy and smooth operation are rather important items. Aircraft shadows, cloud shadows, vegetation, buildings and many other things help my immersion in the sim, help my imagination to put me closer to "real," enough that I can really enjoy it. Did FS-98 have "frivolous eye-candy?" Do you have add-on scenery? Where are you drawing the line of "eye candy?" At what point does it become "frivolous?"

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks Mark & Robbie. The implication that it's foolish not to have P3D is foolish. And to get this thread back on track, I agree with dnpaul: Steve's DX10 Fixer with cloud shadows puts FSX on a whole new level.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yeah, I didn't think this was a P3D vs FSX thread.

I have the best of both worlds. I have FSX and P3D both, and have FTX Global and Vector, AS16, REX TD with Soft Clouds set up in both, so they both look great. The DX10 fixer closed the gap between the two quite a bit is all I'm saying.

I don't intend to give up FSX because I have planes that either aren't going to be ported to P3D, or are a bit too expensive to buy the new, 64 bit versions. The one that really compelled me to get up and running on P3d4 was the Maddog X. Man, what a bird! I REALLY wanted to see and fly her 64 bit version. Going forward, most of the best new planes coming out are going to be geared for P3D. That's a fact. So I spent some bucks to get my computer up to the task, and I couldn't be happier with having both sims freshly installed on a clean OS.

The implication that it's foolish not to have P3D is foolish.

I'd still like to know why you think "and the lack of other basic flightsim features which come as standard with FSX and even FS2004..."

That's what prompted my post above, your statement with nothing to back it.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Larry, like mallcot I was just shaking the tree to see what fell out :) my apologies.

I guess it boils down to P3D's lack of compatibility with all the add-ons which LM considers to be for "entertainment" or those which carry the disclaimer 'not for real-world use'.

Speaking as a PC gamer who likes planes, "entertainment" is what flight sims are for, so I'm still getting plenty of mileage out of FS2004 and FSX Acceleration.

Larry, like mallcot I was just shaking the tree to see what fell out :) my apologies.

I guess it boils down to P3D's lack of compatibility with all the add-ons which LM considers to be for "entertainment" or those which carry the disclaimer 'not for real-world use'.

Speaking as a PC gamer who likes planes, "entertainment" is what flight sims are for, so I'm still getting plenty of mileage out of FS2004 and FSX Acceleration.

Well. if intelligence is the yardstick, Lockheed Martin have fallen on their policing sword and let way too many people in without enforcing the EUL. But I haven't heard too many complaints from real-world users- none of whom seem to have anything beyond fond memories of FSX and FS2004, while axing them from the hard drive or SSD in favour of later versions of P3D.

In our flying club there are plenty of users for P3D (and, it must be said, X-Plane 64-bit). Those I have heard whining from almost always tended to be victims of their own misfortune.

So if you do commit to FSX or FS2004, do not attempt to install addons intended for those sims to P3Dv4+ and just accept that, while neither are truly dead, they are slowly dying.

• 1 year later...
I have to agree on the fact that Steve's DX10- fixer did an awesome jom on my FSX, in every aspect; visually (with all primary Orbx- addons, sky textures, shadows, HD-repaints) and most of all; I got rid of the unbearable VAS- use I had and OOM's every time I did a longer cross-Atlantic flight before with my addons. I have to say, Thank you Steve. My humblest respects to a genous! :pilot: