Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Auto Coordination

1. Default

The turn coordinator and is an instrument a pilot can read. So is a compass.
    Nothing wrong with that statement I made.

I said it to make clear it's not some system that magically work like "autorudder". The turn coordinator does not controll, do, or coordinate anything.

The turn coordinator and is an instrument a pilot can read. So is a compass.
    That's very true. But you said, "A turn coordinator is an instrument the pilots can read. Similar to a compass." and the TC is not similar to a compass.

With your clarification above I see you were intending to say something like, ""A turn coordinator is an instrument the pilots can read, just as a pilot can read a compass or an altimeter, but it has nothing to do with autocoordination." But it didn't come across that way.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I know this is an old thread, but for the information of people, it was discussed recently on Mentour's YouTube channel. The yaw damper does indeed make it so the pilot of, for example, a 737 only normally works the yoke, while the computer will keep the flight co-ordinated.

the computer will keep the flight co-ordinated.
    That statement isn't totally true. I'm not saying that you're wrong about the yaw damper helping, because it does help, but it's not the whole answer, AND:

That is NOT the purpose of the yaw damper. It is NOT an auto-coordination device, though it can do much of that. As mallcott said above, the purpose is to "dampen" Dutch roll, though it does (as he also says) help to a degree when applying aileron. A major reason that swept wing jets don't need much rudder application by the pilots is that the ailerons (and/or spoilers, depending on the design) are designed (combined with the odd effects of the swept wing) to have very little adverse yaw, unlike more conventional aircraft in which that adverse yaw from the aileron input can be considerable. Even relatively modern light aircraft (C-172, etc.) need a LOT less rudder than older aircraft (Cub, Champ, etc.), due to aileron design.

See this Wiki link for a bit more info. You might also see this Dutch roll article.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Just discovered this thread and want to add a bit of additional info.

All the jets I've flown IRL are usually flown with the feet on the floor, except when pushing off the crab angle during a crosswind landing.

On airliners (even the older ones like the 767) the yaw damper does have the additional function to auto coordinate the turns.
    You can observe this function by looking at the flight controls page when rolling (rapidly) into a turn and you can see a very noticable rudder deflection.

Also the flight manuals usually provide this info. E.g. in case of the 767 it says:
    The yaw damper systems improve turn coordination and dutchroll damping

In FSX/P3D the yaw damper (in most cases) incorrectly takes away most of the rudder control.

Hope this clarifies things a bit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2