I have Returned - With Computer Issues!

wellsprop

Hi all,

It's been at least 6 years since I last posted here (probably longer), since then I've got myself a degree in aerospace engineering, a job as an aerospace engineer at one of the largest aerospace companies in the UK and a Private Pilots License - so I've been keeping busy.

Anyway, I bought a new PC a couple days ago to mess about on FSX again and I had no issues installing and running FSX (with SP1 and 2) until yesterday. FSX now crashes on startup screen (I don't even get to the free flight screen).

I've re-installed FSX, tried the UIautomation dll and made sure there are no issues with my hard drive. I'm now beyond lost and have no idea how to fix this.

I've looked at the error log and this is what I see,

error.png

Here are my PC specs

FSX.png

I am also now unable to install SP1 as I get an error saying "Error 2331 Error loading library MSPATCHA".

I am also unable to update my windows version, when I try to check for updates it says it is unable to connect.

I am TOTALLY lost, any help would be massively appreciated.

Cheers!

Hrmmmm, I don't think I've properly diagnosed this one...

I had another look in the error log and found this

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.60905.0, time stamp: 0x44fd0a92

Faulting module name: nvwgf2um.dll, version: 23.21.13.8873, time stamp: 0x5a387b27

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x002dc1fa

Faulting process ID: 0x2a0c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d49644e19bef6d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvae.inf_amd64_21ead4d4ed8dcdbe\nvwgf2um.dll

Report ID: 149c9cb9-b3d4-4eea-ba5b-71f7ba2dcf17

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

It may also be worth noting that I didn't have any issues until I switched monitors (if that at all makes a difference if it IS display/graphics related!).

You might check out the following section in the fsx.cfg file, perhaps removing it from the file completely (save a backup copy), then run FSX -- it should build a new section for you:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570.0]

Mode=1920x1080x32

AntiAlias=1

Anisotropic=1

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Wellsprop,

Hate to say this, but you will have to clean everything out again. Uninstall FSX & get nVidia driver cleaner on their website.

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

This location will give you nothing but installation nightmares. Especially when it comes to add-ons.

It is best to install FSX onto another hard drive if you have one, starting your directory with Microsoft Games. (keep it short).

Before you re-install FSX make sure that you get Windows update to work.

Hope this helps....

And to let you know (like it matters with spying 10) is that the Geforce Experience crap spies on you and sends data back to their servers. You can block it through the hosts file.

# nVidia Telemetry

127.0.0.1 gfwsl.geforce.com

127.0.0.1 gfe.geforce.com

127.0.0.1 telemetry.nvidia.com

127.0.0.1 gfe.nvidia.com

127.0.0.1 telemetry.gfe.nvidia.com

127.0.0.1 events.gfe.nvidia.com

::1 gfwsl.geforce.com

::1 gfe.geforce.com

::1 telemetry.nvidia.com

::1 gfe.nvidia.com

::1 telemetry.gfe.nvidia.com

::1 events.gfe.nvidia.com

#Geforce Experience installed

127.0.0.1 gfwsl.geforce.com

::1 gfwsl.geforce.com

Thanks for all the replies chaps!

So where I'm at now; I uninstalled my NVidia driver, this allowed FSX to run (obviously I need the driver to sort everything out).

I re-installed the latest NVidia driver, and the NVidia control panel now runs with no issues.

I am now in the process of re-installing FSX from scratch - fingers crossed!

I've resolved error 1722 by downloading MSK928080 and running that via CMD.

Currently I can't update to SP1 as I keep on getting error 2331, which I believe is related to windows updater - no idea how to sort this one, there don't seem to be many fixes online.

Please forgive my ignorance, it's been at least 5 years since I've installed FSX and this is the first time I've tried installing FSX on Win10!

Strange, installing FSX on Win 10 is just like installing it on any other version of Windows, except you should install to a custom location like C:\FSX....

Here's something important: at the end of the installation the installer starts a free flight in the Ultralight over Friday Harbor. The important part is to let this flight last for about a minute or so, then you shut FSX down, and reboot your system. After that, installing SP1 should be a piece of cake. After installing SP1, reboot again before installing SP2.

Jorgen

Hi Jorgen,

I realise I should have installed in C (not programme files/.../...), but I'm not sure that's the issue, I believe it's a windows installer issue.

I'll try a disc check tonight, that might throw up something. If not, I'll re-install FSX in C drive.

Admittedly, I'm busy with COndor Sim at the moment :D

So, again, I uninstalled FSX and re-installed it in C:, no problems, all working.

However, I can't apply path SP1 as shortly after putting in the 2nd disc to do the SP1 patch, it returns error 2331 somthing to do with MSPATCHA.

The Event Viewer is showing FSX wither error 1603 (the dreaded 1603).

Still unsure how to solve this, tempted to give up and buy FSX SE as that already has SP1 and 2 with it.

I'm also unable to get windows update running, it gives me error 998 invalid acces to memory location and the event viewer says "The Windows Update service terminated with the following error:

Invalid access to memory location."

You'll need to google that Windows Update error, and get the operating system fixed, before you go on to SP1/2.

And, in case you'll go the FSX:SE route, you'll need to get the Windows error fixed ALSO before you go there. But, as you indicate, SE already has SP1 and SP2, in it, plus that it also has Acceleration and a number og bug fixes.

I would recommend SE - but in any case, you WILL need to get Windows fixed first. If you have an unstable or incomplete operating system as a basis, all bets are off.

Jorgen

You'll need to google that Windows Update error, and get the operating system fixed, before you go on to SP1/2.

And, in case you'll go the FSX:SE route, you'll need to get the Windows error fixed ALSO before you go there. But, as you indicate, SE already has SP1 and SP2, in it, plus that it also has Acceleration and a number og bug fixes.

I would recommend SE - but in any case, you WILL need to get Windows fixed first. If you have an unstable or incomplete operating system as a basis, all bets are off.

Jorgen

Cheers Jorgen,

I'm on the case with Windows help at the moment, hopefully they will be able to better diagnose and solve the Windows Update error - I can't even check for updates via control panel at the moment :/

This is something you could try to fix your Winupdate issue. The free version does not just scan but also does fixes. Follow all the pre-repair steps, then select the set of repairs for win update. (Don't select all repairs cause that would reset a lot of Windows settings to default and you don't want that.).

Running the Update repairs may well get WinUpdate running again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, after 2 hours of being in a chat with a Microsoft agent (most of which was spent waiting for Win10 update to download), I have managed to fix Windows Updater and install SP1 and SP2!

FSX is now working (at last!), just need Just Flight to release South UK Nex Gen VFR scenery now :)

Archived